•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Orion Nebula through wispy high clouds

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sabersix

sabersix

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Midway GA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:07 AM

Orion Nebula Sequator 5 Dec 2019

I was out playing at a local spot last night that has a view all the way down to the horizon.  I like this spot because there isn't any light generation to the east.  I love living close enough to the coast to have access to a spot like this.

My original intention was was to go after the Pleiades.  I took an hour+ worth of exposures and was considering packing up, but I once I saw Orion rising above the horizon I had to hang around a bit longer.

I was not expecting much as there were a lot of thin high altitude clouds moving around.  After the first shot, I knew I needed to hang around and play with this.  I was amazed at how vivid the red was in that shot.  And I was hooked.  On some of the learlier shots I had seen a bit of elongation in the stars, so I was going to a higher ISO and shorter exposures. I was concerned how this would affect my shots, but I do not see anything that gives me pause in the final.

I was using a 80mm Skywatsher pro refractor, with my Ha modified T3i. That gives me a focal length of about 960mm, I think.  Then, I stacked this in Sequater, then processed in Photoshop.  I can see where the highlights are a bit blown out in the center.  Thats something to correct next time.

• PirateMike, cookjaiii, Dynan and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics