•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone using LED or EL tracing tablet for flats? Even illumination?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NW of Harper, TX

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

I tried an LED tracing tablet a couple of years ago. I found that the illumination was not even across the panel. There were lighter/darker stripes.

Recently, I have read about people using the newer EL type panels. Anyone having success with these?

I have a really nice smaller Altinak Flip Flat for my refractors. Works great. But,  I need a large panel now for my 14". An EL panel would be much less expensive.

Randall

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Skylab

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:52 AM

I use regular printer paper to even out the light from my panel. It would also blend and color variations from the panel. I believe some panels may not emit true white light, so a white buffer may help.

Another couple ideas, in front of the panel, I have seen are a sheet of white plexiglas, multiple layers of white cloth.

I used a panel with great success with my C11.

Here is a sample of a flat analysis. This one was a bit higher than 50% of scale, but the histogram looked good, so I used it with good success:

flat analysis.jpg

I standardized my flat process by using a known setting on the panel (lowest, highest, or a preset level [some panels lighten in steps]) and make note of the number of sheets of paper I used.

Makes chasing those little 'dust bunnies' pretty easy.

Edited by Dynan, 06 December 2019 - 09:53 AM.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

I tried an LED tracing tablet a couple of years ago. I found that the illumination was not even across the panel. There were lighter/darker stripes.

Recently, I have read about people using the newer EL type panels. Anyone having success with these?

I have a really nice smaller Altinak Flip Flat for my refractors. Works great. But,  I need a large panel now for my 14". An EL panel would be much less expensive.

Randall

At the risk of being offensive.

Some cheap panels work, some don't.  I chose to avoid fuss, and got a Spike-A-Flat.  My t-shirts have retired.  <smile>  No need for paper.  Set it on top of the scope or point the scope at it, and shoot.

The big model is $380.  Compare that to the cost of your other equipment.

http://www.spike-a.com/flatfielders/

As they say about good equipment.   It.      Just.       Works.

#4 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:02 PM

I use an Ebay-grade EL panel that cost me around $100 five years ago. It has a pretty even profile and I've had no issues with it whatsoever. If I were really worried, I'd create a group of flats in which I rotate the panel 90 degrees  every N lights to compose an averaged 4xN master. There are no point-hotspots when using EL panels like one *might get from an LED panel. I do not use any diffusers. Just the panel inserted into a simple ~$20 Walmart picture frame.

At least for the smaller apertures, (6" or less") they work great.

#5 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:39 PM

Believe me, I would go with the Altinak or Spike-a-flat if I could afford them. They work well and are no fuss. I also like to support our vendors. It is the money thing right now.

The EL panels look like they should work better than led types. I would like something to hang on the wall that is plenty large and would work without modification. Anyone else using these?

Randall

#6 wal20

wal20

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

I found a 5-inch panel at Ellumiglow: https://www.ellumigl...-5in-circle-kit. It includes  9v batterypack/controller. They also have a 14-inch version. It's just the panel so I made an enclosure with interchangeable collars for my ST80, Canon EF300 and WO RedCat 51. I posted it on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3629917. Works well.

Bill

Edited by wal20, 07 December 2019 - 08:45 AM.

• AhBok likes this

#7 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

I have the 14” Ellumiglow panel and it is very flat and evenly illuminated. I tried tracing tablets, but the Ellumiglow panels are far better and still rather cost effective.

#8 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for all the info. Has anyone used their camera to measure the ADU count across an EL panel? I think it would be best to point the camera on axis at different points from the middle to sides and see if the counts are roughly the same. When I did that with my LED type panel, there were bands of higher/lower ADU areas. I use those panels for work lighting in the observatory. They are actually really nice for that.

I wonder what makes the Ellumiglow brand different from others. The color of the light spectrum? The evenness of illumination?

Randall

Edited by rms40, 08 December 2019 - 10:09 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics