•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planet 9, Nibiru, and Planet X

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#1 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:39 AM

Personally, my reaction to someone...anyone...talking about "Planet 9", "Nibiru", or "Planet X" was an eyeroll, and an instant inclusion to the "Flat Earth Asylum".

When asked by (the very rare conspiratorial) friend, "Can you see Nibiru throught that 'giant' telescope you have?", I send them this:

nibiru.jpg

Well, it just got stranger. With some possibly credible scientific paper behind it, a new theory of eccentric orbits and planar angles has popped up:

https://www.business...-planet-2019-11

Not that this is life changing, at least for myself, but it DID give my smug arrogance of 'the way things are' a bit of a rattle. Just a minuscule, "What if...?"

• Todd N, tommy10, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#2 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, California

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:10 AM

You know, now someone (a Scientist) has suggested that it might be a black hole the size of a grape fruit.

So your picture is probable apropos... 

Here using special on line filters, and the magic of thin internet, i enhanced your picture!

1080x360.0.jpg

Because you know, If I had a thicker internet, I would have a clearer picture...

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 06 December 2019 - 10:39 AM.

• eros312, gnowellsct, Greg Campbell and 4 others like this

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:29 AM

You know, now someone (a Scientist)

A SCIENTIST? You know about a 'Scientist'? How does he 'Do Science'? He sounds pretty sciencey. lol.gif waytogo.gif

I heard about another scientist that does "Science"!

https://www.quotes.n...of_cadavra_6913

And who knew 'Scientists' has a sense of humor?

• Augustus, GalaxyPiper and CMDRExorcist like this

#4 Todd N

Todd N

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:20 AM

Don't be too hard on yourself. When "they" are talking about Nibiru/Planet 9 it usually includes nonsense like ancient astronauts enslaved humanity to mine gold or something. If "they" turn out to be somewhat right it was for the wrong reasons.

• Dave Mitsky, t_image, GalaxyPiper and 3 others like this

#5 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:18 PM

The post-modern deconstructionist tendency ends directly in nihilism.

One can't really use it to argue for [a philosophically positive]position that establishes a description of reality.

It's like saying "you don't know what's inside my shoebox--- so my claim that I have a real magical Leprecon inside is plausible."

No, not good reasoning at all.

Theories and ideas in Astronomy are regularly revised/destroyed/re-written.

In large part because astronomy deals with vast quantities and matters that can't be put into test tube and repeatably experimented on in a lab......

So yes we should keep humility and qualify often "the most current theory/explanation of......"

rather than saying "the Solar system has 9 planets......."

Funny it just took one vote of the IAO to invalidate that "fact."

But the ones wearing tin foil hats aren't a good source for truth.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

But for the wrong reason as Todd N. worded it above.....

• Dave Mitsky, kkt, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#6 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

I just tell them the truth, if I say anything at all. If they don't like that then our conversation has ended. But, there are actually a few folks who have innocently heard stuff, but know so little about science that they want to know. When told truth (as best we know it) they have no problem accepting it.

Then, of course, there are those who reject the truth no matter how much proof is given. Some folks are just twisted. It's their right, but I can't abide with them.
  • Charles Funk, Vesper818, dawziecat and 3 others like this

#7 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:34 AM

Flat Earth, unicorns,fairies,knomes , Bigfoot, Nessie, Champ, Dragons...I believe them all....

Hold on a minute gotta get more Renolds Wrap out.

My hat is loose..   

Lol ...

Stevegeo Area3751 observatory. In the Frozen North of central NY...

• GalaxyPiper and Dynan like this

#8 Thorkill

Thorkill

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Troms, Norway

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

Sackler Astronomy Lecture: The Search for Planet Nine - https://www.youtube....MCwezegPNg&t=1s

UC Berkeley Events from 2017.

"Recent evidence suggests that a massive body is lurking at the outskirts of our solar system, far beyond the orbits of the known giant planets. This object, at a distance approximately 20 times further than Neptune and with a mass approximately 5000 times larger than Pluto, is the real ninth planet of the solar system. In his lecture, Mike Brown talks about the observation that led his team to the evidence for this Planet Nine and discusses how so massive an object could have been hiding in the outer solar system for so long. He also discusses the international effort to pinpoint this newest member of our planetary family.

Mike Brown is the Richard and Barbara Rosenberg Professor of Planetary Astronomy at the California Institute of Technology, specializing in the discovery and study of bodies at the edge of the solar system. He is best known for his discovery of Eris, the most massive object found in the solar system in 150 years, which led to the debate and eventual demotion of Pluto from a real planet to a dwarf planet. In 2006 he was named one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People and was inducted into the National Academy of Sciences in 2014."

• tommy10, GalaxyPiper, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#9 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:55 PM

It was my understanding that the orbits did have something about them that wasn’t explained by our current understanding definitively. The grapefruit sized black hole is very interesting although I suppose we would see the evidence of things accreting on it. And I had to defend the idea of science to a coworker the other day and he wasn’t attacking it but I had to explain to him that it wasn’t promising all the answers like some other disciplines of thought it is just a working understanding of things which of course is subject to change as our understanding changes.
  • GalaxyPiper and Astroman007 like this

#10 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:39 AM

"Is Our Solar System's Mysterious 'Planet 9' Really a Grapefruit-Size Black Hole?"

https://www.livescie...lanet-nine.html

fZaXPG42HZEZ3jbkBGKttk-1024-80.jpg

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 12 December 2019 - 12:41 AM.

#11 IDONTSEEIT

IDONTSEEIT

Apollo

• Loc: NYC

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:15 AM

What size black hole could be contained in a Mason jar?

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#12 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM

What size black hole could be contained in a Mason jar?

A Primordial one apparently...either that, or a star gate we haven't discovered yet...

#13 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:56 AM

If the Earth were collapsed to a black hole, it would be about the size of a tennis ball.

This can be calculated from the Schwarzchild formula,

r = 2mg/c^2
  • Dave Mitsky and GalaxyPiper like this

#14 ColoHank

ColoHank

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:00 PM

Last laugh?  Asylums around the world are full of people who laugh without reason.

• KidOrion, Lola Bruce, Miranda2525 and 1 other like this

#15 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:01 AM

TED talk, Mike Brown "In Search for our solar system's ninth planet"

"Could the strange orbits of small, distant objects in our solar system lead us to a big discovery? Planetary astronomer Mike Brown proposes the existence of a new, giant planet lurking in the far reaches of our solar system -- and shows us how traces of its presence might already be staring us in the face."

Go to TED talks and watch this for 14 mins...(This website won't allow me to embed the talk (boo!) but as it has been said, "you can't stop the 'verse."..(Firefly))

Planet9fromouterspace.jpg

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 19 December 2019 - 04:30 AM.

• Matthew Ota and Dynan like this

#16 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:36 AM

I do not in the slightest understand the correlation between the title of that poster and its depicted Gothic scenes...

• Thorkill likes this

#17 Thorkill

Thorkill

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:01 AM

I do not in the slightest understand the correlation between the title of that poster and its depicted Gothic scenes...

I found the correlation and it is used in the intro of a 2 hour lecture from Caltech Astro. I link it below for those who have the interest and stamina for it. I have not seen it yet so no idea on the content.

Planet Nine from Outer Space - Mike Brown - 3/15/2019 - https://www.youtube....h?v=Zw5MDh_wpnI

• GalaxyPiper and Astroman007 like this

#18 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:15 PM

It was a poster from a movie called "Plan 9 from out space" that Mike Brown changed the wording on it.

It was pulled from this website, and was a bit larger than I thought it would be.

http://www.findplane.../blog-page.html   

Then click on "Where's Planet Nine" below top picture and the info will pop in.

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 19 December 2019 - 01:20 PM.

• Astroman007 and Dynan like this

#19 Thorkill

Thorkill

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

Planet Nine from Outer Space - K. Batygin - 12/7/2016 - https://www.youtube....h?v=5-J6gW_w_Hs

"Planet Nine from Outer Space" - Konstantin Batygin, Assistant Professor of Planetary Science, Caltech

I have checked this talk out, it`s a good presentation. If you want to skip the small talk, and only listen to the data, click on this link wich is copied from 29 minutes into the lecture - https://www.youtube....youtu.be&t=1720

I think this lecture was alittle easier and not so super technical as the first i linked.

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#20 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

Ok...For those that want to strain their eyes and try to look for it, here is a map of where it might be.

Just above and to the right of Orion!

This is taken from Wikipedia, because you know, Wikipedia knows everything:

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Planet_Nine

2880px-Planet_nine_path_in_orion2.png

Now the 6 degree, or 6 seconds of arc, spin is our own orbit permutation, so it may lie somewhere within there,, yes, there,...right there!

Or not!

They, Mike Brown and others, are looking in this area with a 8 meter telescope in Hawaii, so good luck with your 10 inch or 16 inch Dobsonian.

It has a 10,000 year orbit, so it is moving very slowly, so the picture you take tonight, you will have to take another in 6 months for a few years to see any movement.

Not to mention all the areas of that sky in a survey.

Happy Hunting....to the victor goes the spoils!

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 25 December 2019 - 09:58 PM.

• Thorkill and Dynan like this

#21 Thorkill

Thorkill

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:31 AM

Yesterday night i listened to this talk(51 minutes) wich was good:

Bizarre orbits of minor planets beyond Neptune - Ann Marie Madigan(SETI Talk) - https://www.youtube....h?v=YW0Zb5gY0HA

• Astroman007 likes this

#22 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

• Loc: Iron Range Lake Ontario

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:17 AM

I am not holding my breath. 

#23 Thorkill

Thorkill

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:29 AM

Well by mathematics there have been some profound discoveries, and now the maths are indicating something. And it`s either the maths are wrong or correct. That`s interesting to those who enjoy the fact that mathematics can be used for discoveries without actually seeing anything. Whatever the end result are.

They witheld the mathematics in this case for a very long time to find any errors, but none was found. At least this is a part of science where mathematics are applied. There are other areas where we claim to have the answers without any scientific evidences at all. 

I think this is very interesting, and i think the mathematics are correct here, if it isn`t then that gonna be interesting to get to know what they did wrong.

• Astroman007 likes this

#24 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

Yesterday night i listened to this talk(51 minutes) wich was good:

Bizarre orbits of minor planets beyond Neptune - Ann Marie Madigan(SETI Talk) - https://www.youtube....h?v=YW0Zb5gY0HA

A good effort on her part. I'll give her that.

• Thorkill likes this

#25 Thorkill

Thorkill

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2019 - 04:10 PM

TedTalk: "The search for our solar system's ninth planet | Mike Brown - https://www.youtube....h?v=2UZKME9WP9M" This video is only 5 days old, short and to the point.

What he sais in the first minutes about Alexis Bouvard(1767 – 1843) is presicly the essence of what`s up with "planet nine". This is history from 200 years ago repeating itself.

From wiki: 

https://en.wikipedia.../Alexis_Bouvard

"Alexis Bouvard(27 June 1767 – 7 June 1843) was a French astronomer. He is particularly noted for his careful observations of the irregularities in the motion of Uranus and his hypothesis of the existence of an eighth planet in the solar system.

Born in Contamines, Duchy of Savoy, Bouvard's achievements included the discovery of eight comets and the compilation of astronomical tables of Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus. While the former two tables were eminently successful, the latter showed substantial discrepancies with subsequent observations. This led Bouvard to hypothesise the existence of an eighth planet responsible for the irregularities in Uranus' orbit. The position of Neptune was subsequently calculated from Bouvard's observations, independently, by John Couch Adams and Urbain Le Verrier after his death."

And further from another page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune

"Neptune is not visible to the unaided eye and is the only planet in the Solar System found by mathematical prediction rather than by empirical observation. Unexpected changes in the orbit of Uranus led Alexis Bouvard to deduce that its orbit was subject to gravitational perturbation by an unknown planet."

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics