I've been away for 5 years or so from the hobby and have been slowly relearning ccd astrophotography whilst trying to get back into imaging. It's surprising how much knowledge was stored away or perhaps overwritten , I'm having to reread some of my older threads to understand what I was talking about. I've also saved enough to purchase my dream telescope, a lightly used C14 Edge. I understand this is one of the most difficult telescopes to image with due to mount requirements and longer focal lengths, but I did get into DSO imaging on my C11 and understand some of the requirements and may likely start building a mount and imaging train setup around the C14 Edge. I also have a lot of my previous equipment out of storage, so minus maybe an upgrade to my Losmandy G11, I think I have most of what I need for a long-term imaging setup. I also was able to purchase a used C8 Edge that can be used to ease getting back into ccd imaging.
My question relates to my two ccd cameras, an SBIG STT-8300M and an ST-10XE. I was doing an inventory of what I had in storage and I wanted to sell one of these camera setups to help pay off the C14. Do you know which one is perhaps more suitable to a C14 edge? I am still rereading about image scale, arcsec/pixel, resolution, binning, etc, but was hoping to ask this question anyways as I heard the STT-8300M may be a mismatch for longer focal length scopes (even with binning). For a bit more information, these are the setups I have on hand, with one setup likely needing to be sold. I remember also the ST-10XE was a narrowband sensitive beast without blooming issues, but don't remember much beyond that.
Any advice much appreciated as I get back to reading the manuals and my CCD astro books.
- Which CCD would your recommend keeping?
- Which Ha, SII, OIII set is worth keeping (6nm vs 3nm)?
- Would the E-series LRGB filters work with the STT-8300M?
- Are these CCD cameras still worthwhile to get back into the hobby or are newer ccd packages better choices?
- SBIG STT-8300M w/ SBIG FW8G-STT
- 36mm Astrodon 3nm NB CCD filter set (Ha, SII, OIII)
- SBIG ST-10E w/ CFW-10
- 36mm Astrodon LRGB E-series Gen 2 unmounted CCD filters
- 36mm Astrodon 5nm NB CCD filter set (Ha, SII, OIII)
Other relative equipment
- Innovations Foresight ONAG + extensions
- Adaptive Optics (AO-8T + adapter plates)
- SBIG ST-i OAG
I did find two older topics, but they are archived so can't continue off those (even if they are great resources!)
Edited by collaredkeeper, 07 December 2019 - 02:22 AM.