•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Simple refractor question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 2696

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:19 PM

Hello, I have a SCOPE brand refractor and it came on a pretty crappy alt/az mount. It was sitting in a sort of saddle and it was screwed into it from the bottom of the scope. I took it off the mount and the saddle but now the scopes tube has a handful of holes from the screws and one on the side from the altitude slow motion mounting.

What I was wondering is, will the holes affect the scope in any way? None of them are bigger than a pretty standard screw so they aren't terribly bothersome.. But I'm thinking of repainting the tube and other components so if I'm going to be doing that, I'd like to fill in the holes if it's necessary. Thanks.

#2 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

• Loc: 76707

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:25 PM

If you will be using rings ar a clamshell to hold it I would fill the holes and then paint.
I have however just clamped them down and used it. Many times the holes will be covered by the clamshell after it is balanced.

#3 dron2015

dron2015

Explorer 1

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:37 PM

I would seal the holes - so less dust and humidity will go to the inside of the scope. It is quite difficult task to clean inner side of the lens from the dust. Removing the lens, cleaning and attaching it back might affect collimation (depending on the how lens is connected to the scope). If lens is cemented and is not removable - even worse - definitely protect the inside area from the dust and humidity.

Best,

Andrey

• jaraxx likes this

#4 2696

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:39 PM

If you will be using rings ar a clamshell to hold it I would fill the holes and then paint.
I have however just clamped them down and used it. Many times the holes will be covered by the clamshell after it is balanced.

Right, I've been putting it on my 7TE mount and the clamshell covers the ones on the bottom so there's no real issue there. I do plan on using rings with it on occasion though, and they won't cover all of them. I suppose until I paint it I could just cover them up with tape or something along those lines. Thanks.
  • dron2015 likes this

#5 Garyth64

Garyth64

Skylab

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

Just get a new tube from here on CN, from Masilmw.  They're priced good and come in different lengths.

https://www.cloudyni...elescope-tubes/

Edited by Garyth64, 06 December 2019 - 02:56 PM.

• 2696 likes this

#6 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:46 PM

Find some round/dome headed screws of the same thread and size and plug the holes with them.

Brass ones could look nice, but polishing them is time consuming.

#7 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:29 PM

Better yet, consider what you do or don't have.  Have you looked through it?  Will it do what you want to make a refurbish like painting worthwhile?  

The reason I ask is due to the demeanor of your initial post that it is a Scope brand and a crappy mount. 'SCOPE' in a 60mm size and on a crappy mount may not be a great optical tube to think in terms of major resto work like filling and painting,  until you know if it is up to par for what you want.  For all I know you may want it to look good for staging a house in real estate. Check out the optics and mechanics for astro use, and put a piece of scotch type tape over holes if you have a dust situation. Should you repaint then the tape removal will go well with basic prep for filler or paint.  

Hope your getting my idea. It's not to put the scope down. It's a bigger picture from what I saw you posting, and practical considerations at this level. 

Edited by apfever, 06 December 2019 - 04:31 PM.

#8 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:50 PM

Sounds the same as my Sears 6309 and its mount. I haven't bothered doing anything with the holes so far.

#9 2696

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Gary, that's definitely an option. His prices are very enticing.

Sg6, I suppose that's the easy way out. I could see myself doing that as a temporary fix until I'm ready to really fix it if it needs it. Thanks.

Apfever, I completely understand where you're coming from. I have used it many times. The scope isn't the best, I know that, but it's very enjoyable to use, regardless. Mechanically it works perfectly fine (the scope not the mount). I think the reason I want to repaint it and potentially fill the holes is just because the bottom side where it was mounted before has chips in the paint from the saddle, the rest of the tube is actually pretty nice, no scratches or dents. I'm still not entirely sure I want or need to repaint the tube but it was really more of a fix for the holes. Since I could just cover them with tape I may just do that for the time being.

Senex Bibax, it is very similar. Like you I haven't done anything with the holes and I've had the scope for about 6 months now. I didn't really notice any issues while observing but I was just curious if it made a difference.

#10 BradNasset

BradNasset

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

Wow, I have been involved in astronomy all my life. We are digging in a storage shelf and I just dug out my first telescope from about 1968 ... and it is a 60mm SCOPE brand - just exactly like here.  I recall I used the Old Farmers Almanac to know where Saturn was, and scanned around the sky for a LONG time until I found it! I still remember that night in a dark sky in Iowa.  Frustrating mount and all. I hope you keep enjoying yours!

#11 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:16 PM

To plug holes in aluminum tubes, I buy the stuff from AutoZone used to seal the aluminum frames of radiators & such.   It's a very thick silver paste in a tube.   I put a small square of foil inside the scope tube over the hole(s), tape it in place with good ole Duck Tape, then use a plastic knife / putty knife to pack it in, making it "dome" a bit inside, and outside.  Some of this stuff hardens in a few hours, but I'll let it set for days.  Before smoothing the outside, I carefully remove the tape & foil.  It's okay if a bit of foil sticks to the patch.  Then I GENTLY file / sand the excess on the outside -- make it smooth with the tube.  

Naturally, I only go this route if I already plan to repaint the scope.  So far, all of these metal paste-plugs have held.  It sounds like a lot of work, but once you get the knack, it doesn't take long, and the results are worth it.

• Steve Allison likes this

#12 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

At Napa auto stores, they have the plastic, black plugs in different sizes, The heads are flat, and the part that you push in the hole has slanted threads so it will not back out. The are very cheap. The head would be flat right against the tube. On a black tube scope, they probably would be un-noticable.

• Bomber Bob and Steve Allison like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics