•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Idle question, what is the minimal tracking mount (goto optional) that could support basic AP with an SV80ED

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Olhado

Olhado

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:33 PM

Not an imminent purchase or anything, but I was reading about the CubePro, Skyguiders (and separately astrotracs), and I was wondering if I wanted to do truly amateur AP with my existing equipment (a Nighthawk Next Gen, aka SV80ED, f/7 & Berlebach Report 823), what is the minimal mount I could conceivably have to do 30 second exposures, prioritizing weight of the mount (this is a grab-n-go setup) first, and ease-of-use second?

#2 mastersniper

mastersniper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:28 PM

the SV80ed with mount ring is about 8 lbs plus camera and adapter another 2 lbs ~10 lbs total would be pushing the limits for the small star trackers (sky adventurer or sky guider etc...) that have a rated payload of 11 Lbs, May work okay I have not loaded mine past 6 lbs yet so can't say how well it would track with 10 lbs on there but with 6 lbs I got 90 second subs at 200mm with round stars.

If I were you I would be looking for a small/medium eq mount like the SKY-WATCHER EQM-35, iOptron CEM25P sized mounts.  not as grab-and-go as the sky trackers but definitely able to be picked up fully assembled and moved outside (probably 30ish lbs fully setup with scope mounted).  The general rule for AP is 2x the actual weight scope+camera as the rated weight for the mount minimum so look for something with 20+ Lbs rated capacity.  those mounts will also handle a bit more weight so you could add a mini guide scope + camera later to get longer subs if you need/want to later down the road.  but those eq mounts will be $800-$900 vs $400-$500 for the tracker so they are double the price.

• Olhado and eros312 like this

#3 Olhado

Olhado

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:33 PM

That does seem to confirm my thoughts. Would that fit on my existing tripod? It's rated to 10kg/22lbs. Seems like I'd need to upgrade that too.

If I throw AP out, and just look for tracking, do the skyguider pros re-enter the equation?

#4 mastersniper

mastersniper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

those mounts come with their own metal tripods the head would not work on your existing one.

for visual yeah I think the trackers would be okay just a bit shaky and thus not good for AP.   they are rated for 11 lbs so I don't think it would damage it just be wobbly.

• Olhado likes this

#5 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

My first ap mount was the Ioptron CEM25P. What an outstanding little mount. It handled my now sold ES 102FCD100 respectably well.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0256-2.jpg

• Olhado and OldManSky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics