•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OUTSTANDING Chroma Customer Service

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:11 PM

I recently received several Chroma filters from a well known astro gear retailer.  I was surprised by the condition of the filters.  The packaging was faded and scuffed.  The spectra sheets were not included like they are when I have received filters directly from Chroma.  For the several hundreds of dollars I paid I was less than impressed.

I called Chroma and spoke with Dick Stewart.  He said this is not how they are shipped to the retailers and it is not how they should have been shipped to me by the retailer.  He offered to replace two of the filters that he agreed I should be concerned about.  He said I did not need to go through the retailer, he would handle it directly.

So my hat is off to Chroma and to Dick Stewart for standing by the customer and doing whatever it took to make things right.

Chroma has a lifetime warranty on their filters and with this level of customer service the premium they charge for their filters is well worth the price.

THANK YOU Chroma and Dick Stewart! bow.gif waytogo.gif hamsterdance.gif Ihavenojoints.gif snoopy2.gif

Edited by santafe retiree, 06 December 2019 - 08:43 PM.

• psandelle, nemo129, Jon Rista and 4 others like this

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

So my hat is off to Chroma and to Dick Stewart for standing by the customer and doing whatever it took to make things right.

Thank you for sharing this anecdote.  I'm thinking about upgrading my filters and Chroma is definitely in the running.  Such experiences are important and can help tip the scale in favor of a vendor.  +1 for Chroma!

• santafe retiree likes this

#3 joshman

joshman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the anecdote. I'm looking as possibly laying down the money for some of that high quality goodness, and still deciding between AD's or Chroma. High quality after-sales support definitely helps.

• santafe retiree likes this

#4 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:53 PM

I have a full set of LRGB on order from Chrom via. OPT. I am really looking forward to them. Should be not much more than another week or so...!

• jerahian likes this

#5 gunny01

gunny01

Vanguard

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

I recently received several Chroma filters from a well known astro gear retailer.  I was surprised by the condition of the filters.  The packaging was faded and scuffed.  The spectra sheets were not included like they are when I have received filters directly from Chroma.  For the several hundreds of dollars I paid I was less than impressed.

I called Chroma and spoke with Dick Stewart.  He said this is not how they are shipped to the retailers and it is not how they should have been shipped to me by the retailer.  He offered to replace two of the filters that he agreed I should be concerned about.  He said I did not need to go through the retailer, he would handle it directly.

Chroma has a lifetime warranty on their filters and with this level of customer service the premium they charge for their filters is well worth the price.

THANK YOU Chroma and Dick Stewart! bow.gif waytogo.gif hamsterdance.gif Ihavenojoints.gif snoopy2.gif

What I've been saying about Chroma, but not Ad's.

Odd that the packaging was not pristine and it makes me wonder about the vendor.  I got some poorly packaged ad's from opt.  Spoke with Don directly about it and got the run around. 

The packaging I got from Chroma was tamper proof with metal clips to hold the top of the box to the bottom along with a tape that showed the box hadn't been opened.  Inside, the filters were well packaged and clean.  I ordered thru Tolga, and he had them shipped directly from the Chroma factory.  Gotta love the Chroma warranty and service.  

#6 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:44 PM

Odd that the packaging was not pristine and it makes me wonder about the vendor.. 

The packaging I got from Chroma was tamper proof with metal clips to hold the top of the box to the bottom along with a tape that showed the box hadn't been opened.  Inside, the filters were well packaged and clean.

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

I ordered seven filters total and I received 5 filters from the vendor and the packaging was suspect which made me call Chroma.

But the two filters drop shipped from Chroma were exactly as you described - metal clipped box, tamper proof sealed box, tamper proof sealed envelopes, spectra graphs for those two filters -

Chroma all the way, every day !!!

• gunny01 likes this

#7 Moreflying

Moreflying

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: So. Cal

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:52 PM

Great to hear. I'm ready to buy a set of narrowband from Chroma. What combo are you using? (SII 3NM  OIII 3NM  Ha 3NM) or (SII 5NM   OIII 5NM   Ha 3NM). What's your choice in this area?

#8 gunny01

gunny01

Vanguard

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:26 PM

Great to hear. I'm ready to buy a set of narrowband from Chroma. What combo are you using? (SII 3NM  OIII 3NM  Ha 3NM) or (SII 5NM   OIII 5NM   Ha 3NM). What's your choice in this area?

I went with 5nm Ha, 3nm for SII and OIII.  BTW, I've got another set of Chromas coming.

• rockstarbill likes this

#9 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:34 PM

Plenty of threads on this choice -- I went 3 all the way.

Some folks swear by this Astrodon NB FAQ:

http://dosandbox.ast...Filters_FAQ.pdf

• Moreflying likes this

#10 MapleEve

MapleEve

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hangzhou

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

N2 is not much necessary, all 3nm is good.

#11 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:36 AM

My Chromas arrived!

They came in a foam lined protective case. Each filter was in an individual soft lined packet. All packets were sealed. Upon inspection, all filters are clean and I could see no defects. 

It was a bit challenging to get them into the ZWO EFW filter wheel. Pretty tight clearance, but they all fit with no interference. It's a little nerve wracking holding the little tiny (and I mean tiny) screws and positioning the hold down rings hoping you don't drop anything on the filter glass!

I oriented them all the same way based on the edge labeling. You can read the labels as they were placed into the filter wheel. Whether it matters or I chose the wrong way I have no idea. Will image a bright star and see if there are any halos. If so, I'll give them all a flip and see what happens. But clouds and rain are coming for several days so it will be a while...John

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20191214_072207553.jpg
  • IMG_20191214_072331427.jpg
  • IMG_20191214_072359609.jpg

• gunny01 and v3ngence like this

#12 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

Installed in the wheel...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20191214_075136548.jpg

Edited by John Miele, 14 December 2019 - 09:37 AM.

• v3ngence likes this

#13 gunny01

gunny01

Vanguard

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:17 PM

Glad the filters came in the way you wanted John.  I was leery of leaving ad's as I've been using them since 2007 and they were a really good filter.  Now that I've gone with Chroma, I haven't looked back.  Warranty is unmatched and service is great.

"It was a bit challenging to get them into the ZWO EFW filter wheel"

I was not happy with the zwo fw as I had one of those screws come loose, and fortunately it didn't scratch a filter.  I opted for the SX fw and found it to be a well machined piece of equipment.  Too bad that after all of that trouble I received 2 zwo cameras that had really bad sensor tilt.  I ended up sending it all back.

I know that someday cmos will take over and ccd will go away.  So I hope that FLI will be making a more affordable cmos based camera.  The Kepler is just too expensive at this time.  

#14 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:11 AM

I had one Astrodon filter in the past, and i was going to buy more Astrodon filters until they increased their prices so they lost me now, so i went with Chroma filter, i only got one which is OIII 3nm, later i will add Chroma SII 3nm as well, but maybe i will buy Astrodon again as LRGB only as it is one set and i am done, and the filter came just packed as in John post above, single filter only no foam, just that sealed envelope.

#15 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:25 AM

+1 on Chroma. I now own two of their 50mm NB, unmounted filters, Ha and SII (3nn). I am impressed with the quality and performance of both of them. The cost savings over the ADs helps too! :)
  • gunny01 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics