•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Momentous day - new Q 3.5 ordered!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:31 AM

Excellent ploy by your wife and son!  Well done!

Congratulations on receiving your scope.  I’m very glad your waiting time was so much less than mine was.  

Now here’s hoping for clear skies and good seeing, so you can enjoy using your new treasure.

smp

#27 medpeds

medpeds

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

It has been raining intermittently since Saturday so I decided to try my hand at making a "proof of concept" base plate to attach my new Q 3.5 to a Sky Watcher wedge. Inspired by Rob Pettengill's designs, I bought a 1" thick red oak board at Lowe's and proceeded to cut it out with my miter saw. The following pictures (which I can't seem to rotate successfully by 90 degrees) document my progress. I have not cut out the Powerglide access hole as of yet nor mounted rubber bumpers to help position the Q while fastening it to the plate. I'm also considering the addition of a small rectangular metal plate under the screws that attach it to the Sky Watcher in order to better distribute the loading pressure. Balance is OK but not optimal. It seems adequately strong.  I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Eventually, I want to fabricate a 1/4" aluminum plate that will be lighter, stronger, and better match the aesthetics of the Q.

From an observing standpoint, On 12/27, started off with the crescent moon which was partially obscured by hazy clouds but which offered tantalizing views. Later,  I was able to observe M42 which was an unbeliveable sight! The Trapezium stars were pinpoints, and the nebulosity was impressive. My son and I did a crude sketch, and it was a lot of fun. Also looked at Castor, and it was easily and beautifully resolved.

q wedge 1.JPG IMG_3355.jpg

• Erik Bakker, pao and JamesMStephens like this

#28 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:44 PM

What a whirlwind Christmas! My wife and son successfully shielded the delivery of my new Q 3.5 from me until Christmas morning after we had finished opening up gifts. (It was actually delivered on Monday, and they hid it in plain sight in the entranceway closet!) 

That's beyond awesome!!! Congratulations and major props to your wife and son! :)

#29 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 30 December 2019 - 07:16 AM

What a beauty bow.gif

And glad you enjoyed so much what a Questar does best: observing with it out under the stars!

• MrJim likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics