•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar with Powerguide I question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RonLevandoski

RonLevandoski

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

I recently purchased a Questar 3.5 with the Powerguide I. After fiddling with the battery door, I simply CANNOT figure out how to get it open to install a new battery. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

docron702

#2 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:51 AM

If the PG 1 looks anything like the PG 2, there’s a video on YouTube showing someone modifying a 2, and although it may be tight, it looks as though you simply squeeze slightly on the door to slide it off.

Take a look on YouTube for the video on ‘how to modify a powerguide“ and see if that looks familiar.

Ron

#3 RonLevandoski

RonLevandoski

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:05 AM

On a Questar with PowerGuide 1, the battery box is on the bottom of the fork mount. It has a black plastic cover. I have tried to gently nudge and pry on the plastic, but it will no move. Any suggestions?

#4 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:59 PM

At one of the ends in the middle is a flexible tab. It can be stubborn. Treat it surgically but confidently

#5 RonLevandoski

RonLevandoski

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:13 PM

I see the tab. Do you use it to slide the cover to one side or pull it up and away from the base? Not so user friendly for something that would be accessed frequently, Will probably use the 12v jack with a power bank. 

Thanx for the suggestion. 

docron702

#6 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:36 PM

Tab pulls toward middle of lid. Might still need tweezers or another tool to remove lid.

#7 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Vanguard

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:17 PM

I see the tab. Do you use it to slide the cover to one side or pull it up and away from the base? Not so user friendly for something that would be accessed frequently, Will probably use the 12v jack with a power bank. 

Thanx for the suggestion. 

docron702

That tab is slippery and a pain in the neck. I use tweezers to grab the tab and pull the door open.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics