•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

need help with my choices

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick Canada

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:48 AM

Hi everyone, would like to receive some feedback, opinions and suggestions in regards to my narrowed down choice between a WO Zenithstar 81 Doublet APO versus ES 102mm f/7 Triplet APO.

My thoughts are that i want to start off with visual observations and eventually get into astrophotography. From my shopping around, the ES is $100 more than the WO and from my point of view, not a whole difference in price as for maybe the difference in visual/photo benefits i could get.

Can anyone enlighten me with this ?

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:29 AM

You're right to want to plan carefully when astrophotography is an eventual consideration. Most would recommend going with the shorter focal length, lighter scope over the longer triplet. Personally I'd rather start off using the focuser on the WO than the standard on the ES essential series. If you're not adding a longer/heavier imaging train it shouldn't make much of a difference. Either scope would be fine optically to get started with- depending on what mount you've got for it, what targets you want, and what your general seeing conditions are. I don't see a mount in your equipment list.

For astrophotography, it's important to pay close attention to the image scale, which is derived from the focal ratio and size of the pixels in the camera you choose. For that reason it's important that the scope and camera are well matched. Here's a link to site that will let you plug in different options so that you can get a good idea of your resulting image scale and field of view: http://www.12dstring...uk/fovcalc.php 

Edited by zakry3323, 07 December 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#3 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:49 AM

Hi Apollo, as for my mount in which i recently purchased used is a CG-4 and felt for the price i paid would be a good choice for starting with visual observations and knowing down the road that i would have to upgrade on a higher end when i'd be more experienced in using such a mount.

• zakry3323 likes this

#4 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:04 AM

I cut my teeth in ap with a ES 102/FCD100 using an Ioptron CEM25P. The 102 was a little on the raged edge of the mount for ap (great for visual), but I had good results non the less. Optics on the ES were very good. Seems near impossible to fault the WO products. The ZS81 would probably be easier starting ota for AP, (but aperture rules for both vis and ap, can never get enough photons lol.gif). I love my Esprit 80. Yes it has great optics, but the size is perfect for so many things. I love my bigger scopes also but I will take my 80 and MOD3(night vision) to the grave with me bow.gif so to say. I intend to put my 80 on the CEM25P later near early spring. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0256-2.jpg
  • IMG_0512-2.jpg

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:51 PM

The smaller one will be easier to learn AP with, the bigger one is better for visual.

Scott

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

I cut my teeth in ap with a ES 102/FCD100 using an Ioptron CEM25P. The 102 was a little on the raged edge of the mount for ap (great for visual), but I had good results non the less. Optics on the ES were very good. Seems near impossible to fault the WO products. The ZS81 would probably be easier starting ota for AP, (but aperture rules for both vis and ap, can never get enough photons lol.gif). I love my Esprit 80. Yes it has great optics, but the size is perfect for so many things. I love my bigger scopes also but I will take my 80 and MOD3(night vision) to the grave with me bow.gif so to say. I intend to put my 80 on the CEM25P later near early spring.

Is that spreader from Orion Ranch Observatory?

Scott
  • MrRoberts likes this

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

Hi everyone, would like to receive some feedback, opinions and suggestions in regards to my narrowed down choice between a WO Zenithstar 81 Doublet APO versus ES 102mm f/7 Triplet APO.

My thoughts are that i want to start off with visual observations and eventually get into astrophotography. From my shopping around, the ES is $100 more than the WO and from my point of view, not a whole difference in price as for maybe the difference in visual/photo benefits i could get.

Can anyone enlighten me with this ?

Heya,

Visually, get the most aperture you can afford.

Imaging, get the most mount you can afford.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 07 December 2019 - 06:19 PM.

• SeaBee1 and zakry3323 like this

#8 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

At smaller apertures the difference between 88 and 102 is significant. Ditto what MalVeauX said above.

#9 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone !!! I will certainly heed to MalVeauX's suggestions and follow on through the taught that first come's visual and down the road AP. So the ES 102mm Triplet APO is gonna get a new home and will keep the WO 81mm Doublet Apo in my down the road possibility!! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics