•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Have you ever purchased something [used] for the accessories?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 decep

decep

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Georgia, US

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:43 AM

Every now and then I run across an item on eBay that, by itself, is not a great deal, but sometimes the accessories that come with it make it far more interesting.

For instance, I found this on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com...pe/324004507617

(I am in no way associated with the seller)

The scope itself it not particularly interesting (to me anyway), but the eyepieces are a very nice set of classic EPs.

Does anyone have any stories of buying a telescope (or anything else) where the accessories were almost better than the item itself?

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:54 AM

I once purchased a complete Meade 10" LX3 for the eyepieces (Meade 4000 smoothies) and Lumicon Filters (UHC, OIII).

The Telescope/optics  were fine, but the push - to was primitive and I never even tried to use it.  All I wanted was the accessories.

• decep and j.gardavsky like this

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:45 PM

I was shopping for a new Mach1 when I came across a used AP1100 with Absolute Encoders for a very good price.  I bought the AP1100 solely because of the encoders, which (with the help of Astro-Physics) I moved to my AP1600.

So, for about $2000 more than I would have paid for a new Mach1, I ended up upgrading my AP1600 with the encoders and also ended up with an AP1100.

#4 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:12 PM

I bought a camera, wheel, guide camera combo just for the camera. Still trying to sell the other components but the net price of the camera was too good to pass it up.

#5 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, I picked up a 1980's Meade 50mm long tube for the GEM mount.

In those days they had a tripod for their mid sized scopes that they down sized the OTA clam shell for a smaller scope,

Craigslist $30

Got a complete rebuild and swapped out the clam shell for a dove tail clamp.

Found an RA battery powered RA drive fits like stock.

I increased the size of the bolts in the tray that hold the spreader struts, added a bubble level to the center of the tray

It's twice the mount that they sell now days.

I use it for my ST-90 and Mak 90

original scope is a .956, got a sack of stuff with it, somewhere out in the garage.,,,,,,,,

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_processed.jpg

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:12 AM

Absolutely. I don’t have room for any more telescopes but I can always squeeze another eyepiece in. If anything I pay more attention to the accessories than the scope. Certainly the quality and age of the scope can be an indicator of what eyepieces will come with it. But then once I got eight vintage TV lenses with a Starblast. (I did pay a few hundred for it). Another time there was a refractor with a nice Orion padded case that was the right size for a new refractor I got and hadn’t bought a case for yet. So I bought the Goodwill scope, sold the scope for a $5 loss, which meant I got a $100 padded case for $5. Not my most profitable bargain but just an example of looking for something I need (or want) and determining if I can flip the rest of the package to pay for it, or at least most of it.

Very recently there was a 7” Mak listed in the classifieds for about $700, including a $300 planetary camera and a TV 1.25” diagonal. Seems like the OTA alone typically goes for around $700. But there wasn’t anything I needed so I didn’t bother with it.

Scott

#7 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:23 AM

I really wanted to reply to this topic with a line like,,,,,

"I didn't actually buy my wife, but I've been paying for the accessories for a very long time,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

#8 Hobbes_Is_Real

Hobbes_Is_Real

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:43 AM

For my last telescope I once bought a whole telescope for like $20 at a garage sale I didn't want (just gave it away to a family at church) just to get the full aperture solar filter that would have cost me over $120. 

On a side note....my best deal along these lines was when I was in college, dirt poor, and needed a car desperately.  I guy who flipped wrecked cars by restoring the bodies said,

"see that 1976 Plymouth Volare over there?"

"Yes" 

"I just put new tires on it.  If you just pay me the cost of the tires, the car will come free with them."

So for $150 bucks for the tires I got the car for free......and......I drove away with a car (with brand new tires) that got me through long enough at school and work to buy a real car.

1200px-1978_Plymouth_Volare_4_door.JPG

Edited by Hobbes_Is_Real, 24 December 2019 - 01:58 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics