•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HELP! PHD2 issue

mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:16 PM

Please help! I am trying to use PHD2 with my Sirius Eq-g mount and shoestring. I can move the mount from EQMOD interface in ASCOM and I can move he mount in NINA but I am unable to move the mount in PHD2 manually and by extension can’t calibrate or track. 

anyideas? The connections must be fine since I can move with EQMOD and NINA fine.

#2 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:31 PM

I have selected the EQASCOM EQ5/6 but I think it should be the HE5/6 but that is not an option. Maybe this is part?

#3 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:48 PM

I am now using the HEQ5/6 and same issue!! Please help

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

Which guide camera are you using?

You don't have the ST-4 cable direct from the guide camera to the mount hooked up, do you? (if you're going to control through ASCOM, you won't use that cable)

When you select the guide camera and mount in PHD2, and connect, does PHD2 say it has connected?

What guide rate have you set in EQMOD?

#5 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:11 PM

I am using the Orion star shoot. I have the star shoot to mount and the shoestring from mount to computer. Everything connects in PHD2. Where do I see guiderate? 

I can disconnect the guide camera from the mount. And try 

thanks! 

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:19 PM

If you're using the ST4 cable from camera to mount, you have to select "on camera" for the mount in PHD2.   Don't select the ASCOM driver for the mount.  Then it will work.

• SonnyE likes this

#7 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

That seems to have worked. Which setup is preferable? On camera with the ST4 or using ASCOM?

thank you sooo much I am imaging tonight with a portable set up so I was going to be crushed! 

#8 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:01 PM

No problem :)  

Leave it alone tonight if it's working, but...in general, connecting to the mount through the ASCOM interface is preferred.  The reason is that way PHD2 can know where the mount is, and what side of the pier it's on, so it can make adjustments for declination in guiding, and can automatically change DEC direction after a meridian flip.

But tonight...get some good images :)

#9 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:53 AM

Thank you so much for the help last night! Salvaged the session. I still have some pretty rough tracking error I need to investigate but that’s for another post!
  • OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics