•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nippon Kogaku 6.5cm

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:39 AM

Wow! I would have never believed that those nylon focus knobs were original up to now, but since they show up on several examples, I guess they are. As odd and out of place as they seem, I would definitely leave them as they are original. One has to wonder why they were selected, given the care and unique features that are built into these scopes, but perhaps that’s just it, they are another unique feature. Perhaps, given that period shortly after WWII, nylon was still seen as somewhat exotic, hence its use here? Anyway, they do kind of grow on you, once the realization is made. Again, what a cool scope!
  • Piggyback likes this

#27 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

The nylon focus knobs and split legs are later.   Round legs and metal focus knobs early.  The case of the later ones also has a label on the front lower as rolo shows.  This scope sat on Ebay for such a long time.  Really nice to see the lens clean up.  Shame the OTA is scarred.  Repaint would be really nice.  

Here are serials I know of.  If this had an OTA serial it would be 10???.  That is second series from 60's.  The list is a mix of 5cm and 6.5cm.  Mine are in yellow. 

NK Serial.jpg

Edited by Stew44, 09 December 2019 - 01:59 PM.

• Bomber Bob and Piggyback like this

#28 CharlieB

CharlieB

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:53 AM

The nylon focus knobs and split legs are later.   Round legs and metal focus knobs early.  The case of the later ones also has a label on the front upper as rolo shows.  This scope sat on Ebay for such a long time.  Really nice to see the lens clean up.  Shame the OTA is scarred.  Repaint would be really nice.  

Here are serials I know off.  If this had an OTA serial it would be 10???.  That is second series from 60's.  The list is a mix of 5cm and 6.5cm.  Mine are in yellow.

attachicon.gif NK Serial.jpg

Well, it looks like I got my dating ideas backwards - it wouldn't be the first time.  Thanks for the great lesson, Stew.  

#29 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:25 PM

Here is a Nikon brochure from 1960 showing the white knobs and split legs.

http://yumarin7.saku...n/Nikon1960.pdf

Edited by Stew44, 09 December 2019 - 12:25 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#30 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

My NK 6.5cm mount came with very little rust. It's a bit of a beast though, weighs a bit over 21 lbs!

Attached Thumbnails

• NK651 (3).jpg

• rolo, astro140, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#31 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:47 PM

This isn't one of the ball mounts and looks to be later than the mounts shown in the 60 (and it's possibly 1965 from another source) Nikon catalog.  Anything about it that would help date it? Does it say anything on it to indicate it's a Nikon mount?  Nikon was riveting the hinge parts of the clam shell to the halves.  These are screwed.  So definitely different.  Yet the latitude adjustment is absolutely unique.  Never seen anything like that.  What is the logo on the CW bolt knob?

Edited by Stew44, 09 December 2019 - 03:49 PM.

#32 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:43 PM

This isn't one of the ball mounts and looks to be later than the mounts shown in the 60 (and it's possibly 1965 from another source) Nikon catalog.  Anything about it that would help date it? Does it say anything on it to indicate it's a Nikon mount?  Nikon was riveting the hinge parts of the clam shell to the halves.  These are screwed.  So definitely different.  Yet the latitude adjustment is absolutely unique.  Never seen anything like that.  What is the logo on the CW bolt knob?

Here is a close up of the CW knob. It appears to be a model 1031 (1974 GOTO catalog), however mine has setting circles.

Attached Thumbnails

• knob1.jpg
  • GOTO 1031.JPG

• Stew44 likes this

#33 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:33 PM

So is the telescope and mount a Goto 1031 as shown in the ad?  Or is it an NK6.5cm OTA on a Goto 1031 mount.  The mount certainly fits the vast quantities of innovation Goto was throwing at all their hardware during this time.  If the former I would really appreciate your showing us the complete kit in its own thread here on CN to document the model.  JW's listing shows one Goto 1031, serial 2338.

Close inspection of the photo against ad shows some differences and yours may not be that mount.  Will check some other Goto ads.

#34 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:58 PM

So is the telescope and mount a Goto 1031 as shown in the ad?  Or is it an NK6.5cm OTA on a Goto 1031 mount.  The mount certainly fits the vast quantities of innovation Goto was throwing at all their hardware during this time.  If the former I would really appreciate your showing us the complete kit in its own thread here on CN to document the model.  JW's listing shows one Goto 1031, serial 2338.

Close inspection of the photo against ad shows some differences and yours may not be that mount.  Will check some other Goto ads.

The OTA is 65mm f=1000 as in the catalog. Note also that the description mentions setting circles, which I have, but do not see in the catalog picture.

#35 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:21 PM

Sorry rolo, just filling time while you perform your magic.

The setting circles are likely the chromish bands about halfway between each axis housing, and is why I don't think this may be that mount.  In any event if Goto set, please do provide us all a complete showing in another thread.  I'd love to see all the nooks and crannies and see what else Goto was up to.  What serial is this one?  Mount might have a separate serial.

Thanks!

• rolo likes this

#36 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:26 PM

Whats with the cheesy plastic focus knobs?

When I first saw these knobs I thought something entirely similar.  My thoughts were more along the lines of 'plastic cheap'!

The sixties were a time for plastic.  It was the wonder material for manufacturing.  Goto also went down this road and may have been influential with Nikon as to what was innovative and cutting edge.  When I look at what came with this scope compared to earlier versions, I see much nicer leg set, love the Goto-esque label on the front of the case, still trying to place the slotted ball mount on these two series as to when one or the other; but in the end I simply don't like the knobs.  I am a knob snob.  Have passed up a couple of these because I like the tank-like all metal builds of the 50's telescopes.

All the prior comments take nothing away from absolutely superb optics and a marvelous mount that is 'different' in use.  Takes some effort to get used to it.  These really are Zeiss-like.  Heavy, well built, fluid in use, amazing optical performance.

I vote that you totally restore this telescope, if for no other reason that it deserves it.  And if you bestow it on another very good friend that will appreciate it as your former NK6.5cm, then it will be time well spent.  Thanks for what you do to all these scopes you take stewardship over.  waytogo.gif 

• rolo likes this

#37 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:24 AM

Nice Nippon collection and thanks for the info too. I really like the split leg tripod, it gives it a more finished look instead of them round posts! Mine didn't have an export tag either but it did have a bunch of sewn bags with silica gel.

Did you do any restoration on yours?

Yes the split wood tripod legs are nice. This was my first Nippon Kogaku and second classic telescope purchase back in 2008 but soon I was pulled down into the vintage rabbit hole and wanted older versions. When only one + or - surfaces for sale per year its hard to be very selective. I happily squandered my paycheck when I had the opportunity. Still the Nippon Kogaku kits are the first things I'd try to save in a house fire. OK my cat just glared at me as I wrote the last sentence. Dude you'd be next, well, after the Goto's and the Lafayette, but before the Tasco's and Unitron! Cats...sheesh, so touchy! 

Yes, I refurbished the tripod legs. They had been drilled with holes to, I think, hang them on a garage wall. I filled and stripped and re-varnished them. The mount is so simple in construction, cleaned and greased. I sent the OTA to Clint Whitman (Caveman) in California. The objective was thoroughly coated in probably cement dust as I picked it up at a cement, sand, and gravel facility in Washington State. Clint for a nominal fee cleaned the objective. I believe he said John Pons stopped by and helped with that job.  When he windex cleaned the optical tube the paint came right off. It may have previously spent many years in SoCal gracing a sunny bay window destroying the paint.  On my dime he had it repainted at a high end automotive paint shop. It came out beautifully! 

My favorite Nippon Kogaku 6.5 is a kit from 1956. I paid way too much for it, (hint: never bid trying to feel out the reserve on eBay)  The paint is mottled not damaged. I think from what I've seen the paint on these is a weak point. Maybe it reacts to UV? Anyway I just adore my Deep South peach from Georgia. Definitely first one out if my house burns, which isn't unlikely as I heat exclusively with wood, in two stoves, and I'm becoming a bit forgetful :(

• rolo and clamchip like this

#38 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

Actually, my Nippon does have a serial #. I found it by mistake on the bottom side of the lens cell. I installed the cleaned objective, prism & eyepieces and the views (land) are clear and sharp. Here's a pic of the assembled scope. 

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.jpeg
  • image3.jpeg

• Terra Nova likes this

#39 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

Already was on my serial number list.  Either the seller had a pic of it on the ad or I emailed him for it.

That means the strdst might also find the number on his lens cell.  waytogo.gif waytogo.gif 

• rolo likes this

#40 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:50 PM

Oh THAT serial number!

It's 10135

• rolo likes this

#41 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:31 PM

Thanks!!! grin.gif bow.gif 

#42 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

The mount has a serial number: 2348

As Stew44 has expressed an interest, I'll start a thread with more details in the next few days.

• Stew44 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics