•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using a large POLY water tank as an observatory?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 coulsonmd

coulsonmd

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:22 AM

I have been thinking about using a large POLY water tank (2500 gal.) laying on its side as an enclosure.  By cutting one side open and laying it down you could roll the tank over the telescope for protection and roll it off for viewing.  New they are too expensive but used they could be a bargain.  Constructive thoughts please.

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:48 AM

That's creative! The devil may be in the details, though. Repurposed anything often entails unforeseen consequences. "Rolling" it, with a big hole in it... will be prone to hit the telescope if it's windy or not phased or aimed right... takes only once and there goes a finder... or worse. Stuff like that.   Tom

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:35 AM

I have been thinking about using a large POLY water tank (2500 gal.) laying on its side as an enclosure.  By cutting one side open and laying it down you could roll the tank over the telescope for protection and roll it off for viewing.  New they are too expensive but used they could be a bargain.  Constructive thoughts please.

Can you post a picture of the tank- I'd be interested to see what it looks like?

#4 philipdehazya

philipdehazya

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:39 AM

when I first read the title of your post, I thought you anticipated getting INTO the tank and then somehow "popping" the top to observe. Does the tank need to be 2500 gal? Maybe a smaller, less expensive one will do??

#5 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:22 AM

I know exactly what you're getting at.  The poly tank could be used as an observatory if set up.

they are tough, watertite ...

However they will tend to sweat inside from condensation.  So insulation is probably needed. And ventilation ...

To go further would need framing, drilling, screws that seal, and hardware...

#6 speedster

speedster

Ranger 4

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

That size tank is roughly 8' high and 8' in diameter and weighs about 350 pounds.  That's quite a wrestling match for one guy.  We've used several of these for various coastal projects and they are very clumsy.  They also deform surprisingly easy from external pressure.  You'll be cutting a slot in it about 1/3 of the perimeter so you'll have to have internal framing to keep it from folding up on itself.  Tanks have potential though.  Someday, someone is bound to use an open top rectangular tank about 90" x 90" x 66" high for about $1,100, put an RV door in it for about $300, and put an insulated spa cover on it for about $400.  Cut a hole in the bottom of the tank to go over the pier, bolt it down, and have a vermin-proof, dust-proof room with nearly half again the area of a POD. 

• JMP, siriusandthepup, Edward Swaim and 3 others like this

#7 SometimesKen

SometimesKen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bad Moon Observatory

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:14 AM

It's been done before .... about 12-13 years ago when I was building my ExploraDome obs. another fella was using a ED dome to replace his poly tank dome on a mobile trailer. Sorry, I forget the details of how, but he basically cut a tank in half and used a rounded end as a slotted dome. 

Good Luck and post some pictures!

Regards,

Ken 

#8 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:07 AM

Creative thinking, but I don't thing the roll-on, roll-off idea will be practical.  There is too much danger of getting it misaligned and hitting the scope or mount, especially since you will be on the opposite side of the tank from the opening, pushing on it, and won't see how it is going. 

Depending on the ground surface, the edge of the opening, when closed, could pick up surface contaminants, like grass and mud.  When you roll it off, these could drop onto the scope.

If you have a tank and want to repurpose it, I would cut it in half horizontally and arrange some kind of rotation mechanism to allow the top to rotate relative to the bottom.  Cut a slot in the top, and you have a nice dome.  We used to have a 2000 gallon tank, that was 8' in diameter and 8' high.  That would be a convenient size.

#9 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:29 AM

I've used a 32 gallon dome for years now.

I lift it off, lift off a waterproofed canvas under liner, and I'm open for business.

Cost: $9.98 ~4-5 years ago.

• Vesper818 likes this

#10 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:00 PM

Exploradome was started with the Poly Dome agricultural company 12-14 years ago with a whole thread of input right here on CN . It's in the archives somewhere, but I don't know how to find it.
  • calypsob likes this

#11 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:36 PM

Interesting idea.  I assume the tank is cylindrical.  Cut off an end, invert it like an upside down glass.  Cut some kind of slot in the top, put casters on the bottom so it rotates?

It would require some framing and a base but I imagine it might work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics