•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Audiostar 'networking'

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TonyRodda

TonyRodda

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:05 AM

Hi, 

I've asked this question elsewhere and received answers that get halfway to a fix but nothing quite definitive.

LX90 with Audiostar...

Can it be accessed/controlled by multiple software programs simultaneiously using Win10 PC via USB?

Ideally, PHD2 and SGPro or Astroplanner.

Any help appreciated.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:33 AM

Club here uses MySky to controltheir Meades from a laptop, so would expect the LX90 to be the same.

They do the imitial "alignment" via the handset, but the alignment is very much a case of synching the scope to a star - the scopes sit on an accurately aligned mount and get location and time from GPS.

Once aligned the control is taken by the laptop and MySky software.

I assume that some alignment data is held in the handset so maintaining a handset is required. So if the idea is no handset it may not be an option. At present I think only Celestron and Skysafari may be capable of running without a handset and maybe not all Celestrons.

From a somewaht vague memory the laptop plugs into the Aux port, something says not the handset - but high chance of being wrong.

One catch is the arrangement is OK if there are mains power outlets otherwise laptops, batteries etc drain fast.

Sudenly unsure of the software name - is it MySky or TheSky.

Does at times seem a bit strange that manufacturers have not issued a software version of their handsets to run on a PC/laptop then direct to the scope, so negating the need for a handset.

• TonyRodda likes this

#3 rferrante

rferrante

Clearline Technology Corp.

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County, California

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

Tony,

I do not think it would be possible to share a single software device port (i.e. COM5, etc.) in software between two separate programs, since there would be permission violations.

If the Audiostar has provision for two RS232 channels, and you cabled for that and used two separate COM ports, it might work. Hopefully someone else can offer insight there.

--Rob

• TonyRodda likes this

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:36 PM

Hi, 

I've asked this question elsewhere and received answers that get halfway to a fix but nothing quite definitive.

LX90 with Audiostar...

Can it be accessed/controlled by multiple software programs simultaneiously using Win10 PC via USB?

Ideally, PHD2 and SGPro or Astroplanner.

Any help appreciated.

Can you give an idea what you're trying to do?  It might help in figuring out a configuration. 

#5 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Gemini

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:17 PM

Gday Tony

As long as all the apps use ASCOM, you can use the new Meade driver posted on the ASCOM site

https://bitbucket.or...ar497/wiki/Home

This driver acts as a hub so unlike the earlier drivers, multiple apps can connect to it

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• TonyRodda likes this

#6 AF7JQ

AF7JQ

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concho Valley, Arizona 6500Ft ASL

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:46 PM

Yes!!! Most definitely! My neighbor has the LX90 ACF 12". He uses SGP to control the scope, guiding, focus, and camera. He has a small computer running WIN 10 on the telescope that runs everything, and connects using remote desktop to a warm place 30 feet away. And now with the new Ascom driver that Andrew linked for you, you now also have software nudge available as well. You can now reposition your framing remotely. .Previously you could platesolve to where you wanted to be, but if you wanted to re-position the image you had to go back out to the dome and use the handset. Now the only reason he has to back outside is to jog the dome to keep the scope centered in the slot during imaging.

John

• TonyRodda likes this

#7 TonyRodda

TonyRodda

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:37 AM

Guys,

Thank you kindly for your responses.

ASCOM it is...

Regards

Tony

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics