•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Whoa!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:29 AM

Do you ever look at the moon and say, "Gyaaaaa!".

I had the moon on the Zenith in good seeing checking out Print and Aristarcus. It would take a lifetime to describe it.

"Gyaaaaa!"
  • elwaine, Tyson M and mikeDnight like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:48 AM

I get it. smile.gif

Words are sometimes so inadequate in conveying or recreating the wonder we feel and the glory we experience under the open heavens.

• Asbytec and mikeDnight like this

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

The moon is one of my favorite observing targets.  I think this to myself each time when observing it with a fine refractor. 

• Asbytec, mikeDnight and Astroman007 like this

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:58 PM

Yea, sometimes observing the moon is, well, simply speechless. Laid out before our eyes nice and crisp in descent seeing. I can think of no way to describe it, but I also know others understand what we're seeing. 

• mikeDnight and Astroman007 like this

#5 JimFR

JimFR

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

The Moon is pretty cool.  It’s our nearest neighbour and has pits and peaks and plains and we can really hone in on all the little details from our backyards.

• Asbytec likes this

#6 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:07 AM

Saturday night was the best it has been in a very long time. After viewing Saturn, splitting some doubles, and just generally looking around, I took out the center cap on my SW120 and turned my attention to the moon. It was absolutely amazing!

I used no filters and view in my 13mm Nagler invited - demanded - greater magnification. It was like I had never seen the moon before. In fact, it was so good, I almost wished somebody was around to share it with! grin.gif

• elwaine, Asbytec and Astroman007 like this

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:18 AM

"I almost wished somebody was around to share it with!"

Yes, absolutely. Kind of what inspired this thread. Wanted to share the view we cannot explain, but we know it when we see it. Glad each of you understand.
  • Astroman007 likes this

#8 Grrr8scott

Grrr8scott

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

when I first started in astronomy, I was fascinated by the stars, nebulae, galaxies, etc.  One night we had low clouds, so I focused on the moon.  That was as much a revelation to me as the first time I saw Saturn’s rings. “Exploring” the moon is still something I look forward to.

• Asbytec and mikeDnight like this

#9 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:31 PM

I understand. For years doing deep sky, I avoided the moon (and double stars). Not anymore, kind of makes me wonder why other than the thing lights up a dark sky. God's streetlight. smile.gif

Edited by Asbytec, 14 December 2019 - 05:32 PM.

• Herr Mario likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics