•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Weird black squared in my astro photo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Baird TX

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:12 PM

Ok this is the veil nebula 10 stacked frames of 10 min.  20 dark frames, 20 light frames gain at 310 raw 16 I stacked them in deep sky stacker. When I loaded the image in pixnsight and used the screen transfer function to stretch using the radioactive icon. When I zoom in I get these black squares. Have anyone encountered this. I went back an looked at other images and some have them and some do not. any ideas why this would happen. The attached pic is of the zoomed in pic to see the black squares. 

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• vielzoomed.jpg

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:14 PM

This usually happens if:

a) your offset wasn't high enough, and/or...

b) your darks don't match your light frames (for temperature, gain, offset, and time).

Make sure you aren't using the option to scale/optimize dark frames as well.

• Scott Mitchell and jdupton like this

#3 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:08 PM

Dang when I take my darks. I take them right after my lights. I do not change anything except shut guiding off

#4 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:14 PM

What camera are you using? Is it cooled? If so you should be able to build a dark library independently of shooting lights.Then just pulled the appropriate temperature darks when you're ready to stack.

#5 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:45 PM

So if your darks match your lights in all settings, then...what was your offset?

And did you have scale/optimize dark frames "on" when you stacked them?

What software are you using for capture and stacking/calibrating?

#6 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:10 PM

I'm using a zwo 294mc pro cooled to -10. I'm using sharpcap. I'm new to all this so I do not know what offset is.
My process is. Turn on sharpcap and center Polaris. Attach my mask and focus. The do a polar alignment with sharpcap. Then open cpwi and align scope. Find my target and do sample exposures until it is to bright then bring my subs down a bit. While this is going on I make sure my color balance is set right. Blue and red are peeking at the same point. Then take my light frames. When they are finished I put my cover over the scooe and take my dark frames. Then take some fast dark frames for bias. Then put the cover off. Place a white t shirt over the scope and turn on my light board and place it on the scope and take some fast flat frames.

#7 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:11 PM

I use deep sky stacker to stack, pixnsight and photoshop to process. This only happened to a few of my images.

#8 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:49 PM

Even when your darks are perfectly matched to your lights, you should be dithering your exposures so that dead pixels and hot pixels end up at different locations (relative to the stars) and their extreme values can be rejected and replaced by actual data (from subs when the dead/hot pixels landed elsewhere).

If this makes no sense, just try a session where you dither every shot and compare the sky background in the resulting image to that from previous images.

#9 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:44 PM

Ok is this dithering set up in sharpcap while imaging

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics