•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finding CN members in my area

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lsm4691

lsm4691

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Texas

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

Is there a thread/link somewhere on CN that enables members to find other members in their area?  

Edit:  Now I see the "pinned" thread addressing my question.

Edited by lsm4691, 08 December 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#2 AndrewXnn

AndrewXnn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mexico, NY

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:48 PM

You could simply post a message announcing your area and request local CN members to respond.

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:31 AM

Or you could simply use the site's very own member searching filters, filtering by immediate location, county, or state.

• aeajr likes this

#4 Eagle Butte Observatory

Eagle Butte Observatory

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: 49° 56' 39.84" N & 110° 34' 29.06" W

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

I am amazed how large the CN network is!!  We are everywhere!!

#5 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

Or you could simply use the site's very own member searching filters, filtering by immediate location, county, or state.

Hummm, I am not aware of this.  Are you referring to the standard search features or something specific to membership?

• Augustus likes this

#6 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:42 PM

I am amazed how large the CN network is!!  We are everywhere!!

Amateur Astronomy is not such a wacko hobby then after all !?

#7 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:01 PM

I've met quite a few members throughout the years in my time on CN. The first one we got together and formed ourselves an anti club club that still get's together once or twice a year for extended camping/astronomy trips mostly to the southwest. I keep my eyes on people's avatars and the Loc: underneath and when I see someone close by will send em a pm to see if they'd be interested in getting together. And it works both ways. After moving to ID last year, I've been contacted by three local member and have contacted two others myself. The key is patience and keeping an eye on people's posts, and frequenting different forums you may not otherwise go to. BTW, there are a lotta Texans here so you shouldn't have a hard time finding folks.

• Miguelo and Goldengirl52 like this

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Amateur Astronomy is not such a wacko hobby then after all !?

That would be overstating the case

#9 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Crescent City, CA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:41 PM

I've met quite a few members throughout the years in my time on CN. The first one we got together and formed ourselves an anti club club that still get's together once or twice a year for extended camping/astronomy trips mostly to the southwest. I keep my eyes on people's avatars and the Loc: underneath and when I see someone close by will send em a pm to see if they'd be interested in getting together. And it works both ways. After moving to ID last year, I've been contacted by three local member and have contacted two others myself. The key is patience and keeping an eye on people's posts, and frequenting different forums you may not otherwise go to. BTW, there are a lotta Texans here so you shouldn't have a hard time finding folks.

That's so neat! I've put up a flier on a bulletin board in our little town (6000 pop. but that includes a prison poplulation) but no bites yet.  I'm going to search the CN site members, just in case there is someone (s) ;) close enough to get together.  I love Idaho and have lots of family up in Ponderay/Kootinai.  Denise

• cuzimthedad likes this

#10 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:12 PM

That's so neat! I've put up a flier on a bulletin board in our little town (6000 pop. but that includes a prison poplulation) but no bites yet.  I'm going to search the CN site members, just in case there is someone (s) wink.gif close enough to get together.  I love Idaho and have lots of family up in Ponderay/Kootinai.  Denise

Crescent City is definitely away from it all! My wife and I are Sonoma natives and lived there all our lives until moving in late 2018. We love it here and we only have to go a little further than you to get "away from it all." Hopefully you'll find someone in the hobby there or even find someone with interest in getting into it. Good luck and keep us posted!

Edit: Since I wrote that post on the 9th, I've met 3 more people from around the region so keep looking and eventually you'll find someone or they'll find you here.

• Goldengirl52 likes this

#11 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

I have looked at places in Sonoma County, beautiful down there, but I changed my mind about going closer to "the fast lanes" ;)

Idaho is just one of my fave States. I think Nampa is on the outskirts of Boise ;)  Many "big city" folks are moving out of their areas.  My main reason for wanting to move is I don't care for living on the coast.  Been here almost 5 years now, and still watch for some sort of place to pop up for me to go.  If I could, I'd just go live off the land near the mountains.  I hear those places are getting crowded too though ;) Denise

#12 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:52 PM

People are mainly moving to the Treasure Valley...Nampa, Meridian, Eagle, Kuna, Boise...You don't have to go far to get away and out of the populated area here. That's one of the things I love about the area. And there is so much to do and see and it makes for a great travel hub to other states and Canada to the north. Even with the population growth, there is still the small town feel in Nampa.

• Goldengirl52 likes this

#13 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

People are mainly moving to the Treasure Valley...Nampa, Meridian, Eagle, Kuna, Boise...You don't have to go far to get away and out of the populated area here. That's one of the things I love about the area. And there is so much to do and see and it makes for a great travel hub to other states and Canada to the north. Even with the population growth, there is still the small town feel in Nampa.

We best take this to a PM if we go further, but you are making me want to move to Idaho!! LOL!!  I'm an Oregonian, rural, but I would chose Idaho over Oregon any day ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics