•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Soft focus, need help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sabersix

sabersix

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Midway GA

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:09 PM

I shot this a bunch of times and stacked about an hour and a half worth of exposures.  I stacked the pics with both Sequator and Deep Sky Stacker to see how these would turn out.   I have not done any post processing on either of these pictures

https://drive.google...cuPHREdRGCrHZI9

Here is the link to a folder that has them both.  

I am trying to figure out why these aren't more sharp.  I shot them with an atlas  EQ-3M mount and 80mm refractor and Ha modified crop sensor DSLR, no autoguiding.  I did a polar alignment then focused using a batinhov mask, then framed the shot and shot away using APT.  

Do not get me wrong.  I am happy, but know this can be more clear, with more detail.  How do I get there?  CMOS or CCD mono chrome camera? Alt Az mount with autoguiding?

Let me know your thoughts.

Sean

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Viking 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:25 PM

I shot this a bunch of times and stacked about an hour and a half worth of exposures.  I stacked the pics with both Sequator and Deep Sky Stacker to see how these would turn out.   I have not done any post processing on either of these pictures

https://drive.google...cuPHREdRGCrHZI9

Here is the link to a folder that has them both.  

I am trying to figure out why these aren't more sharp.  I shot them with an atlas  EQ-3M mount and 80mm refractor and Ha modified crop sensor DSLR, no autoguiding.  I did a polar alignment then focused using a batinhov mask, then framed the shot and shot away using APT.  

Do not get me wrong.  I am happy, but know this can be more clear, with more detail.  How do I get there?  CMOS or CCD mono chrome camera? Alt Az mount with autoguiding?

Let me know your thoughts.

Sean

Really don't see a focus issue right off. You do need to stretch the range of the images. Deep Sky Stacker is not good for processing. Just for stacking. If you want to process you need Photoshop or PixInsight. Or for free you could use GIMP. And there are many more. 

Chris

• sabersix likes this

#3 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Viking 1

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

Here is your image with some real quick processing in PixInsight. See attached. You need processing software.

You also should start doing Dark frames and Flat Frames as well as Bias Frames. The colored streaks on your image are from bad pixels (every camera has them). Dark frames will eliminate them. You also have vignetting, flat frames will get rid of it. You already have some of the battle won. Good base data and round stars. Big accomplishment. Get a good book and learn the rest. This is highly recommended. https://www.amazon.c...la-401450758693

This is a journey. Much to learn.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• OrionTest.jpg

• sabersix likes this

#4 sabersix

sabersix

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:50 PM

Chris,

you have taken this picture somewhere I could only aspire to.  

I do have PS and played with a bit.  I was posting the unprocessed pictures so folks could see the raw data.  As far as flat and dark frames, I just got lazy and didnt do them.  You can bet I sure will on future projects.

#5 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Viking 1

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:55 PM

Chris,

you have taken this picture somewhere I could only aspire to.  

I do have PS and played with a bit.  I was posting the unprocessed pictures so folks could see the raw data.  As far as flat and dark frames, I just got lazy and didnt do them.  You can bet I sure will on future projects.

You are going to do fine. I thought that was your finished images. lol.gif  I am but a rookie at this at this point. Probably about a 2 on a scale of 10 (I'm being generous). I learn something new every time I acquire and process.

Edit: Use what you have for equipment right now. Like I said, your base data is good. Do your calibration frames every time. A great habit to get into.

Chris

Edited by Cfreerksen, 08 December 2019 - 09:59 PM.

• sabersix likes this

#6 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:10 PM

I  did a quick "3 button" process of your DSS stack. You have a few stuck pixels but your focus is fine... What stacking mode are you using ? You need median Kappa-Sigma checked...

49191342041_ccea8e1746_h.jpg

Edited by 17.5Dob, 08 December 2019 - 11:17 PM.

• elmiko and sabersix like this

#7 elmiko

elmiko

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:16 AM

And always dither!!!!!!

• sabersix likes this

#8 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:43 AM

Sabersix, your focus is excellent and your polar alignment and tracking are excellent.  I don't actually know why you would feel the focus is soft. 

You definitely need to do calibration frames.  The hot pixels are distracting, though I managed to process without emphasizing them.  This was done in PixInsight, using your DSS image.  It was a "quick & dirty" process, so I am sure that one could bring out a lot more with more time and effort.  But it was enough to see that you have very good data.

sabersix.jpg

• elmiko and sabersix like this

#9 sabersix

sabersix

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:20 PM

All,

Thank you.  I had thought the focus was off because I couldnt get the definition I thought should be there.  I guess it is my poor abilities in post processing and lack of calibration frames.

17.5 Dob,  I am unsure of the 3 button DSS process.  I did enjoy your comment "...a FEW stuck pixels..."   Thank you for the comment on DSS and "median kappa sigma"

I will get better at this.

Sean

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics