•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cheaper microscope question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:49 PM

When I got my Gilbert telescope one Christmas, I also got the Gilbert microscope. I was never into microscopes much, we used them occasionally in school. I would occasionally get the leg of a bug. But I noticed that nearly all the cheaper microscopes always had a prepared slide of shrimp eggs. Why was that? Was there something about shrimp eggs that was supposed to be special.

#2 lonn

lonn

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Happy Valley, N. California

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:24 PM

Shrimp eggs are the only eggs that will fit  on a microscope slide. Maybe flea eggs. Do fleas lay eggs? confused1.gif   

#3 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:03 PM

I would guess it's because shrimp eggs are more interesting.

Fleas do indeed lay eggs. 

https://fleascience....eggs-look-like/

#4 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:13 AM

And if perchance they should hatch you have shrimp instead of fleas.   grin.gif

Edited by havasman, 13 December 2019 - 12:13 AM.

• PXR-5 and vertex2100 like this

#5 Microscopy

Microscopy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:05 AM

It's probably a regional thing? In my country (Belgium) those cheap microscopes and microscopy sets usually had a slide of silver berry scally hairs.
Those larger microscopy sets usually had a small frog preserved in formaldehyde and a dried butterfly as well.
For some mysterious reason they also had a few unusable chemicals: canada balsam (unusable without propper alcohols and xylene) and methylene blue solution (pretty much useless in contradiction to what many people think up to these days).
And a few unusable utensils as well: a few test tubes and a test tube rack, a pestle and mortar and so on.

#6 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:40 AM

I dunno about the mounted slide of shrimp eggs.  Maybe the boss's original intent was to 'freeze' them in various stages of hatching.  That might be educational and interesting to see.  Brine shrimp eggs will hatch under the right conditions, making a good subject to try to observe at lower powers.  Remember the ads in comic books for 'sea monkeys'?

I remember getting my first microscope, a holiday present when I was about 12.  It came in a bi-fold metal case, along with most of the junk Microscopy mentioned.  I'd a heck of a lot rather had an electric illuminator than a dead frog, fish, and crayfish.... 

Jim H.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics