•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question - Celestron OAG

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSD

DaveSD

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

For those of you with this OAG - I just purchased one and it seems to take a fair amount of force to adjust the guide camera helical focuser.  Is this typical?

I do have the locking screw loose.

Thanks

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Skylab

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:16 AM

How cold is it where you're using the OAG? I use mine in southern Mississippi, and even though it rarely gets down to freezing, the action is stiff. It is probably due to the grease viscosity.

Is the action smooth? If so, it's probably not the threads. Can you see a difference if you bring the scope into a warm room?

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:08 AM

The helical focuser will be a bit stiff compared to any other focusing mechanism you are used to on a telescope because it has much finer threads. 

If you have a hair dryer handy heat the helical focuser a bit and see if that eases the force required.

Run the helical focuser in and out through it's travel a few times to check whether it's consistent or inconsitent in stiffness.  There could be a thread burr on it internally that is dragging or simply needs to be cycled some.   

If all this it still remains very stiff it could be defective and you should contact the vendor for exchange.  If you are handy with tools though you could simply remove the locking screw on the focuser and remove it entirely to discover if there is a burr or debris giving the issue.... really depends on your level of confidence in tinkering.   Personally I'd take this approach before considering returning.  

#4 Eyeheartmono

Eyeheartmono

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:16 AM

Mine is quite stiff as well and not consistent, but once you have it focused you shouldn't need to adjust it much.

#5 DaveSD

DaveSD

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:09 AM

Thanks all!

Based on your responses it sounds like mine is fine.  It is stiff but moves smoothly as you indicate yours do.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics