•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can't load mono AVI files into Registax 5

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 grandad

grandad

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Just East of Sarasota Fl.

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:19 PM

I'm new at this and every day is a challenge.  I imaged the Sun today and when I tried to load the files into Registax I get a notice --- "Image seems to be in color, process in color, yes or no"

When I pick no nothing happens, if I pick yes nothing happens.  The other day I used the program and it worked ok.  Help please.

Thanks,Tim

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:45 PM

It may be in your settings, but first I would suggest you go ahead and download the latest version of Registax here: https://www.astronomie.be/registax/ In settings you can decide if it will autodetect RGB AVI's. I would also encourage you to download Autostakkert 3 here: https://www.autostak...om/wp/download/ It is a bit more flexible for alignment and stacking of your AVI's. I would continue to use Registax for Wavelets on the TIF images that you get from Autostakkert though. Hope this helps Tim!
  • PhotonJohn likes this

#3 grandad

grandad

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

Thank you.  I'll give it a try.  In the autodetect setting which setting should I chose.

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:21 AM

AutoStakkert is hugely simpler, faster, and produces substantially better results.

As above, use registax 6 for wavelets on the final stack (just drop the file onto the registax window), but use autostakkert for stacking. You will be glad you did.

#5 hopskipson

hopskipson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:46 PM

You may want to skip Registax altogether and use ImPPG after stacking in AS!3.  It's freeware and usually produces better results.  There are many tutorials on its use.

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:47 PM

Thank you.  I'll give it a try.  In the autodetect setting which setting should I chose.

I would try it both ways but I have always shot in mono and haven’t had any issues.  As mentioned, I think you'll like Autostakkert better for stacking.

#7 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:50 PM

You may want to skip Registax altogether and use ImPPG after stacking in AS!3.  It's freeware and usually produces better results.  There are many tutorials on its use.

Actually I use ImPPG as well now, although every once in a while I get a result I like better in Registax.

#8 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:53 AM

Wow thanks for posting this! Looks amazing, and Im not sure how ive managed to not hear of it before!

#9 grandad

grandad

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:27 AM

Gentleman, thanks for the suggestion.  I still am unable to open my mono AVI files in Registax.  I've uninstalled it and reloaded to no avail.  If there is a magic button somewhere I can't find it.

I can get the same file to open in  Autostakkert.  I downloaded the manual for it but I'm in a world of hurting trying to understand it.  Marty's tutorial makes it look so easy but I'm just spinning my wheels. 

The following picture is my first real capture with my new PST.  I just can't seem to go ant further.

Thanks, Tim

IMG_4680 n (600 x 360).jpg

#10 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

It appears your settings are fine. Just click on the Analyze button first and let it do its thing. When it stops you can go to the right and select an Alignment Point (AP) size of 48, and then click the Place AP Grid button, click on the Stack button and let it do its thing again. It will put your stacked file in a folder as a subfolder of wherever your AVI was. You can then open that file in Registax (make sure it is looking for a TIF, not an AVI) and then apply wavelets. Looks like the prom is nicely showing from your screen shot.

#11 grandad

grandad

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

rigel123, thanks I try that, the problem is Registax won't open my files, it says their in color, which there not.

Another problem is the only manual I can find for Autostakkert is for version 2.1.0.5.  and I'm using version 2.6.8, the latest, I think.  So I'm using an old manual on a newer program which adds to the confusion. 

I deleted the new version and downloaded the old version and will wonders never coast, now my file won't open.  It appears that there was a problem with that version so I'm back to using the new version of Autostakkert with an old manual. If I had any hair it would have been gone a while ago.  It's rather discouraging. 

#12 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

Did you try the steps I outlined for Autostakkert?  Are you saying Registax can’t open the TIF File?

#13 grandad

grandad

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM

rigel123,

Yes I did, but  the Stack button stayed greyed out, I must have missed something.

I never had a TIF file to try out in Registax but I know that it will not open the same AVI file that I'm using in Autostakkert.

I appreciate the help.

Tim

#14 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:17 PM

rigel123,

Yes I did, but  the Stack button stayed greyed out, I must have missed something.

I never had a TIF file to try out in Registax but I know that it will not open the same AVI file that I'm using in Autostakkert.

I appreciate the help.

Tim

The stack button will stay grayed out until you place alignment points on your image after it finishes analyzing the frames. Once you place the alignment points the stack button will become available.

#15 grandad

grandad

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:01 PM

rigel123,

That worked, but the finally image was worse than the original. 

#16 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

rigel123,

That worked, but the finally image was worse than the original. 

The raw file that comes out of the stacking process will look soft, and then you load that image into Registax or ImPPG and use wavelets or Lucy-Richardson Deconvolution to bring out the details.

#17 grandad

grandad

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:36 AM

rigel123,

I'll try that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics