•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aterism discovery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bllape

bllape

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: LATROBE, PA

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:28 PM

While on the hunt for an NGC object, I came across a distinct pattern of stars. Are there sources available to check to see if it is a known asterism? Also, if it is not, who do you contact about getting it named? Ive heard of the seniors in our astronomy club having asterisms named after them but when i asked, they brushed my question off and said they dont remember how they did it....

#2 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:21 PM

I was under the impression you just tell people about it, start using it in conversation, and hope it catches on.  I doubt the IAU is championing most of these names.  Maybe if you could get someone from Sky & Telescope to mention it in an article it might catch on.  I'm not sure how you know when it's been accepted - perhaps when it gets published n a prominent atlas.  I think if you could prove it was a real cluster, your chances would be better.  For an asterism, I dunno.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

Beginning to sound like the infamous "International Star Registry" that is still ~Selling Stars~ for $20 to over $100 --- whatever they can talk you into. Especially as Christmas approaches. You get a certificate that is worth... Well... about as much as an faux-antiqued 8.5x11 piece of paper. But the vanity-press value might be worth the price of admission.

Asterisms are rather fungible things... Plenty of people make them up and, with sufficient publicity (usually coined in books) ... they take on slight ephemeral legitimacy among amateurs, like us. And, "discovering" and claiming asterisms is fun! We here, do it all the time. But, far as I know... there is no "official clearing house" for asterisms... any more than there is for star names.

Given that, it might make sense for you to just go to Walmart and buy one of those fancy-framed ~Blank Certificates~ and have a friend present that to you. Add to that a Public Notary witness and embossed emblem ($2 in New York!) --- and it's ready for hanging on the living room wall!

I actually discovered the "World's Smallest Asterism" back on Dec 20th, 1955, comprising one single star.

And also composed the corresponding Haiku, honoring the blessed event" >>>

Here I name my star,

It now shall have just my name,

Thomas William Dey

The rest is history.

PS: Here's a picture of my star >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 87 Crab Pulsar officially named Thomas William Dey.jpg

• happylimpet, M57Guy, Migwan and 1 other like this

#4 quazy4quasars

quazy4quasars

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern Sierra Foothills, CA.

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:58 PM

If the asterism can be found on Wikisky by sweeping around the NGC object, perhaps the TC would be so kind as to download a pic and post it here in this thread.  Which NGC was it you were honed in on?  If you show it and name it, it's yours unless some other person has already done so.  

I was doing just such a Wikisky sweep in the area of Abell 1689 (it's been a while; I may well be misremembering) and I came across a very interesting "Galaxyrism" composed of about a dozen ellipticals and looking an awful lot like a coathanger...unfortunately they were all around 16 mag in R (again, this was months ago), or fainter, so it's unlikely that too many people have noted it.

• happylimpet likes this

#5 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

I though a discovered a cluster or asterism years ago, I was observing the faint rich open cluster NGC 2194 in Orion with my 18" DOB.  I like to explore the area around the objects I find, and this time I ran across what looked like a cluster shaped sort of like a figure 8 or hourglass.  That's it, I'll name it the hourglass cluster!

I checked Wikisky but it didn't identify it as a cluster, I started to get my hopes up but when I checked my copy of Star Clusters, by Archinal and Hynes, Brian Skiff discovered it on the POSS plates, oh well, it will always be special to me, and I usually look for it when I'm in the area.

Skiff's cluster has about 20 stars in a 5' area with a Trumpler type II2m it can be found 10' east of NGC 2194 at RA 06h 14' 49"  DEC  +12* 52' 00"

Check it out next time you're deep sky exploring in Orion, and let me know what you think.

Edited by Astro-Master, 09 December 2019 - 10:39 PM.

#6 bllape

bllape

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: LATROBE, PA

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:19 AM

Thank you all so much for your responses! I will just note it in my logs and journal and visit it every time I am in the area! Clear skies!

#7 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:54 AM

Why not tell us the size, magnitude, and the RA and DEC,so we can have a look?

Clear Skies, and keep hunting for those deep sky nuggets!

• Steve Cox likes this

#8 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:06 AM

A club member and Master Observer came to viewing Asterisms as his main pastime in the hobby. He discovered one in Orion and sought the registering authority. He found some organization in France that is apparently the guys of record. 

It's all boy scout badges to me.

#9 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:45 AM

PS: Here's a picture of my star >>>    Tom

Tom, I'm interested, did you name your one star asterism "the dot" or, "the period"?

#10 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:49 AM

Tom, I'm interested, did you name your one star asterism "the dot" or, "the period"?

Auspiciously, I named and registered its name as "Raslup Barc" ® ... just figuring that name would be unique. The rest is history.    Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics