•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stacking spectra with Autostakker - a few questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

Hello all,

I have recently  begun stacking my spectra ser files with AS3 and this has helped a ton in eliminating noise.  But is seems that the stacking process can also introduce some artifacts. When the artifacts are mostly vertical, I can avoid them by binning it down in RSpec and just picking up a very thin horizontal line. However, sometimes the artifacts look like a horizontal shift, and, of course, this sort of destroys the spectrum. 

So, in AS3,

1) I have read that you should choose Surface, not planet. Correct?

2) Then how do you determine where to place the first image stabilization point?

3) Then what rational do you choose for placing the alignment points? Letting it auto-place them seems to place them in a reasonable position but it is not sure what AS3 can really use to align the frames as there really isn't alot to work with.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: I should point out that I tried Registax 6 but it couldn't even open the ser files. It just hung.

Edited by descott12, 09 December 2019 - 09:40 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics