•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue M002C mount compatibility

mount
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:07 PM

I am looking possibly purchasing the Stellarvue M002C mount head, and presently own the CG-4 tripod and Orion 16" SkyView Pro mount extension.  So my question is, can this mount head be affixed to this tripod and extension?  I asked Stellarvue on their Contact Us page this afternoon, but they haven't responded yet, and besides, figured someone here might have already done this.  Thanks ahead of time.

#2 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:11 PM

I have the M2-C, and the Orion extension does not fit.

They may have options on the bolt size, but I think it's 3/8"

#3 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:34 PM

It looks like your mount extension uses a M12 to attach the SkyView Mount.  The M2C need a 3/8-16 threaded attachment. Looks like you could make an adapter - or just buy the proper extension from Stellarvue.  It is a very nice mount! 

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#4 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

That's what I was thinking, Mike.  Even if what Scott wrote is the God's truth, and I have no reason to doubt him, if I bought the Stellarvue extension and M002C mount head, they would work on my CG-4 tripod, right?

#5 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

That's what I was thinking, Mike.  Even if what Scott wrote is the God's truth, and I have no reason to doubt him, if I bought the Stellarvue extension and M002C mount head, they would work on my CG-4 tripod, right?

I’m not familiar with the attachment to the tripod.  If you can check that thread type, or maybe just contact Vic and his folks and talk to them, they can machine an extension to fit.

#6 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

The CG-4 tripod uses a 10 mm attachment. 

#7 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:41 PM

Mike, I called Stellarvue today and Vic answered the phone and said that the MEC010 attachment extension with the M002C head should work fine on my CG-4 tripod.  Yay!  I need to check one other mount setup before I pull the trigger, but this looks like a real sturdy way to mount sub 6" refractors (all I've got).

#8 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:13 AM

Fantastic!  I figured Vic and his team would be able to tell you exactly what you needed.  The M2C is a pretty large solid mount. I use it with an 80mm refractor from Vic, and a 1800mm focal length MCT. I mount it on a Gitzo series 5 tripod, and it is really solid. I added DSC  so it is really my grab and go mount for visual - or will be when the skies clear. 

#9 joseph07081

joseph07081

Messenger

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:27 AM

Mike, I called Stellarvue today and Vic answered the phone and said that the MEC010 attachment extension with the M002C head should work fine on my CG-4 tripod.  Yay!  I need to check one other mount setup before I pull the trigger, but this looks like a real sturdy way to mount sub 6" refractors (all I've got).

I have this combination and it works very well on my AVX tripod, the CG4 should make for a lighter combination. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics