•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My NexDome + "roll-off" dual roof solar powered observatory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlexTardif

AlexTardif

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:59 PM

Hi all, I've spent the past 9 months (a year if I count the few months of planning prior) working little by little towards building my backyard observatory.  I just finished it a couple of weeks ago, and will start moving in and assembling all of the equipment shortly, hopefully over the holidays.  I have no experience with construction, so the project turned into a hobby of its own for a while as I've learned the trade a bit and picked up a few building skills along the way.

I took my time and documented the progress with a bunch of pictures.  I've also started my own website, which I'll dedicate to some of my hobbies, amateur astrophotography being one of them.  If you are thinking about building an observatory too, reviewing my project might be of help.  Either way, feel free to ask questions if any come up.

Here's the direct link to my construction journalhttps://alexandertar...com/observatory

DSC00383.jpg

Also, much of my inspiration and many ideas came from this very forum, so thanks ya'll!

• drprovi57, Tom K, aaube and 5 others like this

#2 Dick Jacobson

Dick Jacobson

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, Minnesota, USA

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:25 AM

Nicely done, but why so short? A while ago in this forum someone mentioned that he was considering building a "roll-off dome", i.e. a dome mounted on rollers so it could roll away revealing the entire sky. Has anyone done this?

#3 AlexTardif

AlexTardif

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:15 PM

Hey Dick, for dome that's actually plenty tall, as anything taller would require raising the pier, etc.  In fact, it's taller than most manufacturers' dome walls.  You can walk around the dome section with more than plenty of room to spare.  For the roll-off part, yes, I have to duck under it when it's closed, but it will only be used for quick observations and it takes all of 20 seconds to roll off the solar rack and roll back the cover, so not an issue for me.  I don't need a warm room so the design works for me :)

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

A while ago in this forum someone mentioned that he was considering building a "roll-off dome", i.e. a dome mounted on rollers so it could roll away revealing the entire sky. Has anyone done this?

The SkyShed POD does this. There is a table kit (called a PZT) available as an option that allows the dome to be pushed off to one side. There are no rollers involved, the HDPE material the dome is made from slides well over other pieces of HDPE (guides) and painted wood (the table itself).

Alex - very nice work. It's been interesting to go from seeing just your plans and trying to visualize things to the real deal.

• AlexTardif likes this

#5 speedster

speedster

Vostok 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:39 PM

I hope everyone clicks through to your web site.  A sound thought process well executed.  Brilliant.

• AlexTardif likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics