•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A7ll vs A6400

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NW NC

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:49 PM

I'm a pilot and travel a lot.

I like taking lots of sunrise and sunset photos, and landscapes. I like the stars to show during both.

WANT a camera with great low light ability BUT HAS TO BE easy to pack (small is good). Also budget under $1000.

AND I want to dabble into some AP on occasion, not foreseeing it to become an obsession (I HOPE).

SO, the A7II (not A7r or A7s just plain A7 II) has a full size sensor with the same megapixels, to my guess that means larger pixels that take in more light-even though ISO has a lower high rating. But takes up more room in a crowded bag.

BUT, the A6400 is much smaller, has higher ISO settings, but a smaller APS-C chip.

What to do? Both are basically $900.

Edited by stubeeef, 10 December 2019 - 05:26 PM.

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:12 PM

Before you zero in on Sony, make sure it will work with AP software for capture, such as SGP, APT, NINA, ...  You will want to use some type of capture SW, as it makes the process MUCH better, as they will plate solve to zero in on your target, and automate the image capture (# of shots, gain/ISO, dither).  Typically Canon has the best software support, with Nikon also having good, but lesser, support.  I expect support for Sony cameras will be very limited.

For AP, most telescopes have problems covering a full-frame sensor without significant vignetting and distorted stars, even with the necessary field flattener.   Some high $$$$ scopes, such as Takahashi FSQ106 do a good job on FF sensors, but for most scopes, you get better results on an APS-C size or smaller sensor.  And depending on your seeing conditions and your scope's focal length, the smaller size pixels may provided better sampling/resolution.

• drd715 and Swordfishy like this

#3 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

Do you already own a Sony camera and lenses?  If not, I'd suggest looking into the ecosystem of cameras and lenses you will be adopting.  The Sony camera may excel at some things over some Nikon or Canon options, but there are other considerations, such as shooting tethered to a PC if you decide to do some AP.  I don't think that in your price range there is a clear standout camera body/sensor that is a hands down better choice than any others, so other factor probably make a bigger difference.  For example, from a lens standpoint, Nikon and Canon are far ahead.  If you are not planning to use a telescope, since you mention travel and sunrise/sunset/landscape photos, you will probably start building up a lens collection to increase your flexibility.  And that may point you toward another camera.

As for the choice between the two Sony cameras, It's probably more about size and your use case than about the sensors.  Yes, technically, full frame sensors tend to have lower noise and better sensitivity on a pixel level.  But just because a camera has a full frame sensor, that doesn't mean it will outperform the APS-C camera.  You will likely find that there are outstanding results created with either camera.  So do some specific research for each camera to see results of people who have done AP with them.  If you can't really see a difference in the images you can find for both, then you can use other criteria for making the choice.

• Swordfishy likes this

#4 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:31 PM

To clarify, when I say dabble into AP, I mean on the lowest conceivable level.

I don't plan to do hours of frustrating stacking, and darks and whatever. I mean screw it on take a few shots and laugh.

But I could see using a small eq mount like iOptrons or others for some night scapes.

#5 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:21 PM

Well, really looking to up the budget for a used A7s, don't see the need for A7s ll even though it has internal stabilization.

So trying to decided A6400 or A7s hmmmm, really thinking size here as well as night shots.

#6 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:56 PM

Are you aware of the star eater issue on Sony cameras? I am not saying that it is catastrophic, but if you have to buy the whole system, you might as well get one that does not have this issue.

Full disclosure: I have an A7R3, and I love it for practically everything, but I do not do AP anymore.

Edited by gezak22, 11 December 2019 - 12:57 PM.

#7 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:09 PM

Not sure the A7s has the same issues, but thanks for the info.

#8 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:17 PM

Not sure the A7s has the same issues, but thanks for the info.

It does.

#9 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:31 PM

If you already had a Sony camera, I would argue to just use and see what you get. There are workarounds, and perhaps they are good enough for your application.

But since you are on a budget, and since you still have to buy the camera, I would recommend getting one that does not have this issue.

#10 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:54 PM

From experience... IF you want to be frustrated by software, ZERO integration with anything that isn't SONY then go with Sony...

HOWEVER, they are amazing cameras. My ONLY gripe is the fact that it won't work with anything out there, not as easy as Canon and Nikon does anyway.

I have an A7 and while I love it for Milkyway, it collects dust when it comes to Astro because I cannot control it remotely from any of my apps, making it very difficult to work with. 

TLDR with a star tracker, go for it, on its own. If you ever want to put it on a scope and try for any kind of conventional Astro Imaging then go elsewhere.

#11 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:58 PM

TLDR?

Too long didn't read?

• Swordfishy likes this

#12 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Ranger 4

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

TLDR?

Too long didn't read?

Indeed :-)

#13 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

Don't understand your point with the TLDR, but thanks.

#14 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Ranger 4

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:49 PM

An attempt to shorten what I tried to express above, in other words in short, with a star tracker yes, with a telescope no.

#15 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:28 PM

Moving to DSLR forum for a better fit.

• Swordfishy likes this

#16 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:25 PM

Let me amend my recommendation against the Sony.

I like the light weight of the Sony, along with the ability to adapt practically any lens to it. I have native Sony/Zeiss/Voigtlander lenses along with adapted Canon and Leica lenses, and they all work wonderfully This makes the Sony a perfect travel camera. And for starscapes, getting the tightest pinpoint stars (or capturing the faintest possible stars) is not the highest priority. So it should serve you well.

Again, I have the A7R3 and I was able to capture fine starscapes during a rocket launch (see below, please excuse the lousy jpg compression artifacts). My guess is that the A7s would work similarly well.

p3107651230-4.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics