•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES68 eyepieces from AliExpress

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#26 Bratman2

Bratman2

Mariner 2

• Loc: NC, US

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:43 AM

I have been watching them for the 82 degree eyepieces. The two I have been watching, 4.7mm and 8.8mm, were priced very reasonable. But being so close to Christmas and having already spent a few dollars recently I have to wait. Sadly they both have gone up in price considerably since then. For the $10-$20 dollar difference I can by them online and have them in a few days. Wondering if their prices went up due to increased sales near Christmas? Has anybody else noticed the same thing? 

#27 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:10 AM

Part of the problem is that it seems stores are going to internet only.

One here shut up shop and changed over, 2 or 3 others "appear" to have shops but when their site is looked into it is visit by appointment only - so internet for those.

One of the 2 main retailers here is internet only, they had a shop/showroom, then withdrew from that and they are now only internet. You cannot phone them but I suspect actually works better, it is email only.

To an extent people will simply consider one internet source much the same as another, so Aliexpress gain.

Not sure of Aliexpress policies on postage but one retailer here wanted £9.95 postage on an £7:50 item. So at time retailers can cause their own negativity. I simply wouldn't pay the postage, just seemed "wrong".

At present although there are around 6-8 astro retailers here in the UK, and we are a lot smaller in land area however it is only possible to visit one. And my history of them is questionable. Attitude is poor to customers.

Have recently noticed one seemingly odd change at one retailer and what they offer, more correctly what they no longer offer.

So I can understand Virgil and Aliexpress, it is I suspect a case of "Why not?"

And if he has had previous good experiences then even more reason I suppose for his choice.

#28 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:39 PM

I have been watching them for the 82 degree eyepieces. The two I have been watching, 4.7mm and 8.8mm, were priced very reasonable. But being so close to Christmas and having already spent a few dollars recently I have to wait. Sadly they both have gone up in price considerably since then. For the $10-$20 dollar difference I can by them online and have them in a few days. Wondering if their prices went up due to increased sales near Christmas? Has anybody else noticed the same thing? 

There is a difference between now and last summer I am pretty sure, it seems to me like the website Aliexpress has now much more ES eyepieces then a couple of months ago with a higher price tag. 

#29 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:14 PM

Well, you can register them with ES (as I have done) so I would expect should you need any warranty work, ES would provide it.  

I wonder what happen if you actually sent the eyepieve to them. I wonder if they'd check to see if you actually bought it from an authorized dealer.

"USA Limited Product Warranty for Products Purchased in the USA and Canada"

https://explorescien...ages/warranty-1

Jon

• BFaucett likes this

#30 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:49 AM

I wonder what happen if you actually sent the eyepieve to them. I wonder if they'd check to see if you actually bought it from an authorized dealer.

Jon

Not sure how they would know.  Do they know by serial number, what dealers get?  If not, there's no way to know.  Just as if it were bought used and then registered.  No way to tell where it came from.

#31 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:37 AM

Not sure how they would know.  Do they know by serial number, what dealers get?  If not, there's no way to know.  Just as if it were bought used and then registered.  No way to tell where it came from.

If there's a serial number, then they very likely know.

More importantly, you know.  

Jon

• payner likes this

#32 sickfish

sickfish

Cosmos

• Loc: Watertown Ma. Cape Coral Fl.

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:57 AM

Where do these EPs come from?

Are they bought buy Ali from the same place that Agena, B&H and Astronomics get theirs from?

#33 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 15 December 2019 - 11:42 AM

If there's a serial number, then they very likely know.

More importantly, you know.  

Jon

So you're suggesting that when a dealer orders stock from ES, they record/register the serial numbers with ES?

Maybe Don can chime in here to confirm this.

As for me knowing, you're implying that there is something morally wrong here.  I would ask you to explain that.

Edited by Dave Bush, 15 December 2019 - 06:27 PM.

#34 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:21 PM

Jon

I would not think so.  Reading more in the warranty is appears they only put the USA/Canada distinction in there to make it clear who pays shipping -- "...returning a product from outside the USA for warranty repair/maintenance are responsible for shipping fees (customs, fees, duties, etc.) to and from our facility."

#35 nva

nva

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

So you're suggesting that when a dealer orders stock from ES, they record/register the serial numbers with ES?

Maybe Don can chime in here to confirm this.

As for me knowing, you're implying that there is something morally wrong here.  I would ask you to explain that.

It depends on how you feel about the grey market. Most of the astronomy market is pretty aggressively against it...Orion comes to mind...or non-transferable lifetime warranties like televue eyepieces.  One bizarre notion that came to me, why would an ES eyepiece which is warrantied for life and fully transferable ever lose much value compared to a televue which has absolutely no secondary support what so ever...life's little mysteries.

Edited by nva, 16 December 2019 - 06:54 PM.

• StarDust1 and BFaucett like this

#36 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:13 PM

Sweating efforts to implement a serial number system..  I think it would be brillant to use it, especially if they use computers to manage their things.

- EPS Manufactured in facility X, at date X, for X number of boxes, X quantity or individual eyepieces, etc.

- Box transferred to the US and Canada: Box X containing batch SNXXXX to SNXXXX

- Serial number associated to a person who registered the eyepiece.

I guess it would help a lot if a box is lost for instance, they should know exactly which serial numbers are in the wild, just like car parts you pay for chiselling in order to make it more difficult for people to sell stolen individual parts.

Just my opinion, stating the obvious.

That's the way I would use a serial number system.

#37 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

I guess it would help a lot if a box is lost for instance, they should know exactly which serial numbers are in the wild, just like car parts you pay for chiselling in order to make it more difficult for people to sell stolen individual parts.

I think the rub here is that you would need to prove that they were stolen in the first place.  If they were "lost" in transit, box opened and contents removed, given or thrown away as unknown items, then sold to another who later put them up for sale on internet, where is the crime?  My only point being that while one may "strongly suspect" stolen, if you do not have proof of that then then would not become stolen goods.  I suspect that the cost of a company trying to track and prosecute when they did have proof, would be more than simply paying the insurance costs for the lost/stolen items.

For NVA (Post #35): FWIW, the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld the idea that grey market products are legal for resale in the U.S., regardless of where they were produced or originally sold. The one exception is where the trademark owner has a contractual agreement with the manufacturer not to import the goods into the U.S.

Also, from what I understand, since AliExpress is not in the normal distribution channel of ES (not listed on their website) I doubt that the warranty they offer for their products sold in the U.S. will be honored by ES (if they could even tell it came from outside their distribution channel in the first place).

Edited by BillP, 17 December 2019 - 07:06 PM.

#38 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

I just ordered the 16mm with $85 and the 20mm with $93.50, free shipping to Canada. I just couldn't help myself seeing those prices. Was it wise? Will I lose the money?  It remains to be seen. It's not really the first time I'm ordering from then. I ordered a 32mm Celestron Omni with $21 and it worked, got it 3 weeks after the order. No rush for me. Hopefully all will be OK. 

Congratulations on your purchases, I have a few of the ES, including the 28mm 68º.

gallery_249298_10131_62166.jpg

I think you'll be OK ordering from AliExpress.

med_gallery_249298_5348_169057.jpg

I admit it's sites that look like these that make me want to toggle my JavaScript off (even in Linux lol) but all my software can detect are third party cookies. The server is in Germany apparently.

med_gallery_249298_5348_2868.jpg

VT shows it to be clean though.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 17 December 2019 - 07:45 PM.

#39 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

Ahh I don't want to say too much no more it's going to put me in trouble, like when we talked about Taiwan Shorty Barlow. grin.gif  

#40 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:11 PM

Ahh I don't want to say too much no more it's going to put me in trouble, like when we talked about Taiwan Shorty Barlow. grin.gif

How's it going? I caught a twilight Venus earlier with my 90mm Mak. Well, for a few minutes until the fog rolled in. Bloody weather! lol

Is it snowing where you are yet?

Are you still running Linux Mint?

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 17 December 2019 - 08:12 PM.

#41 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:24 PM

How's it going? I caught a twilight Venus earlier with my 90mm Mak. Well, for a few minutes until the fog rolled in. Bloody weather! lol

Is it snowing where you are yet?

I had no observation of Venus yet but I see it from my car when I come back from work. I need to finish my 6" grab&go Dobson-Newtonian project.. exactly for that purpose of getting out very fast for these short planetary time range.. it would be there, ready to take out in 40 seconds, light weight, instead of the equatorial mount, it's almost finished..

And I now have a new highly comfortable companion tool to look at Venus, a Delos 6mm with a Red #24a filter, it's promising. smile.gif 

We have only a bit of snow currently 1/2 of an inch from today, it's snowing right now not too much I hope...

I still use Linux Mint yes, I can do everything I need with it, I love it. Last weekend I installed packages to be able to compress and decompress .RAR files.

sudo apt-get install unrar

sudo apt-get install rar

It's also adding the RAR compression option in the "compression" Nemo file manager right clic menu.. I like the RAR password encryption capability, it will even encrypt file names, ZIP can't do that. That's the newest thing lol.

On the revision 19.2 Cinnamon. my i3 4th gen it running the system like if the computer was new.. lol.gif a old 4th gen i3.

On the other hand, for  Aliexpress, I need to disable my Firefox add-ons in order to even login.. the website is very hostile against scripts blocking...

#42 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:42 PM

I had no observation of Venus yet but I see it from my car when I come back from work. I need to finish my 6" grab&go Dobson-Newtonian project.. exactly for that purpose of getting out very fast for these short planetary time range.. it would be there, ready to take out in 40 seconds, light weight, instead of the equatorial mount, it's almost finished..

And I now have a new highly comfortable companion tool to look at Venus, a Delos 6mm with a Red #24a filter, it's promising. smile.gif

We have only a bit of snow currently 1/2 of an inch from today, it's snowing right now not too much I hope...

I still use Linux Mint yes, I can do everything I need with it, I love it. Last weekend I installed packages to be able to compress and decompress .RAR files.

sudo apt-get install unrar

sudo apt-get install rar

It's also adding the RAR compression option in the "compression" Nemo file manager right clic menu.. I like the RAR password encryption capability, it will even encrypt file names, ZIP can't do that. That's the newest thing lol.

On the revision 19.2 Cinnamon. my i3 4th gen it running the system like if the computer was new.. lol.gif a old 4th gen i3.

On the other hand, for  Aliexpress, I need to disable my Firefox add-ons in order to even login.. the website is very hostile against scripts blocking...

I could see the phase of Venus, but that was all. I was using a Baader Double Polariser filter. I saw a rising Mercury with my ED72 in November. The Delos sounds nice. I have a 10mm, it doesn't get out much these days. The Dob project sounds interesting, what are you using as the OTA?

Getting colder here by the minute. It is December though. 

I'm still running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, the Lenovo laptop was originally pre-installed with 14.04. I upgraded on Boxing Day last year. I don't run Windows at all now. I feel liberated lol.

As for AliExpress, I think the page is relatively safe while JS is running, I don't think I'd be able to actually sign in without disabling all the browser hardening lol. 

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 17 December 2019 - 09:45 PM.

#43 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

I could see the phase of Venus, but that was all. I was using a Baader Double Polariser filter. I saw a rising Mercury with my ED72 in November. The Delos sounds nice. I have a 10mm, it doesn't get out much these days. The Dob project sounds interesting, what are you using as the OTA?

Getting colder here by the minute. It is December though. 

I'm still running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, the Lenovo laptop was originally pre-installed with 14.04. I upgraded on Boxing Day last year. I don't run Windows at all now. I feel liberated lol.

As for AliExpress, I think the page is relatively safe while JS is running, I don't think I'd be able to actually sign in without disabling all the browser hardening lol. 

Ahh, the double polarizer, I sold mine.. without even trying it on any planets.. I had the Orion one.. I was not aware there was  a Baader double polarizing filter it must be an older model? looks like a great idea for Venus to control the exact amount of light passing in, to cut the exact amount of brightness.

My 6" is a Antares F5, I had not too bad views of Jupiter with it (la bit less details then with my 8" Newtonian) and I looked at a couple of DSOs too, it has a fairly large TFOV with my 24mm ES 68d, which is nice, but the focuser is not very precise and smooth.. I need to eventually order a GSO 1.25" single speed to replace the original Rack and pinion, it's ok for occasional fast observation.

Great for mercury with your ED72, another difficult target, could you see any features of the planet ?

Edited by N3p, 17 December 2019 - 10:29 PM.

#44 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:58 AM

Ahh, the double polarizer, I sold mine.. without even trying it on any planets.. I had the Orion one.. I was not aware there was  a Baader double polarizing filter it must be an older model? looks like a great idea for Venus to control the exact amount of light passing in, to cut the exact amount of brightness.

My 6" is a Antares F5, I had not too bad views of Jupiter with it (la bit less details then with my 8" Newtonian) and I looked at a couple of DSOs too, it has a fairly large TFOV with my 24mm ES 68d, which is nice, but the focuser is not very precise and smooth.. I need to eventually order a GSO 1.25" single speed to replace the original Rack and pinion, it's ok for occasional fast observation.

Great for mercury with your ED72, another difficult target, could you see any features of the planet ?

I've been experimenting.

sml_gallery_249298_5348_36452.jpg

The Baader is shorter and better quality. I thought I might be able to thread it into the diagonal nosepiece. It touches the baffle in the back of my Mak's.

sml_gallery_249298_5348_37665.jpg

The solution was to thread it into the eyepiece, but use a GSO Barlow barrel as an extension, ensuring no contact with the prism surface. A bit 'Heath Robinson' but no problems with in-focus so far. I could see Mercury's phase and it was a nice colour, but that was about it. 

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 18 December 2019 - 09:01 AM.

#45 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:06 AM

Wasn't this thread about Aliexpress?

#46 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

Oh yeah, sorry. 

sml_gallery_249298_5348_7014.jpg

3rd party cookies!

#47 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

Oh yeah, sorry. 

sml_gallery_249298_5348_7014.jpg

3rd party cookies!

So just clear out your cookies once you're done visiting the site.

#48 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:37 PM

Ali Express won't even let you search unless you log in. A rather hostile site.

I run Debian with XFCE, btw.

#49 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

I've been experimenting.

The Baader is shorter and better quality. I thought I might be able to thread it into the diagonal nosepiece. It touches the baffle in the back of my Mak's.

sml_gallery_249298_5348_37665.jpg

The solution was to thread it into the eyepiece, but use a GSO Barlow barrel as an extension, ensuring no contact with the prism surface. A bit 'Heath Robinson' but no problems with in-focus so far. I could see Mercury's phase and it was a nice colour, but that was about it. 

Great solution and experimentation there.

Yeah there was a slight change of course lol.gif

Some people will order on Ali others won't.. personally I think it's sad for America (US or Canada) but I buy Chinese things myself like everyone else. It's just that I haven't fully realized how easy it is to buy 100% Chinese nowadays, a Chinese product bought from a Chinese website, it makes me feel like a traitor even more.

I don't feel proud.

Plus, in a situation like this I wonder if the profit for America looks like zero...

#50 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

Ali Express won't even let you search unless you log in. A rather hostile site.

I run Debian with XFCE, btw.

Same thing here no shopping unless you log in... nice for quality data collection...crazy.gif

I use No Script, Privacy badger and Cookie auto destroy.  I think there is a configuration in one of these 3 add-ons that is causing malfunction on Aliexpress by default. There must be a known tracking script there that is blocked by default by these add-ons.

Even if the website is not dangerous.. it could have invasive tracking capabilities. Not illegal but not desirable either.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics