•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES68 eyepieces from AliExpress

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#126 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

Nice setup there, the EQ5 can handle a 6" like if there was almost nothing at all on top of it, great duo for the moon and planets, very precise and underrated in my opinion. Do you have a clock drive installed on it?

I keep my eyes open for a faster 6" Newtonian like yours, between F6 and F8 with a tube of +-175mm OD, I want a slower one eventually with smaller secondary mirror.

ZDeZD9p.jpg?2

#127 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:07 AM

I like f/6 150mm as it gives 150x for a 1mm exit pupil, ostensibly the lowest magnification for detail. I have had 300x with it on the Moon. The OTA is about a metre long (900mm f/l), so easy enough for me to use. 

The Dob mount looks great. I'm OK tracking just with just the slo mo on the EQ5. I recommend some wide angle EP's for tracking with your Dob. 

#128 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 December 2019 - 06:36 PM

I don't know if I should hope for good results with mine at 150x, it's probably capable of doing it but I never tested it yet. 300x on the moon with your 6"  that's awesome what EP do you usually use in these conditions?

You guys are lucky in the Eurozone you can still get longer Newtonians tube like this one, a 1200mm 150mm F8, that one must be great on the moon and planets.

https://www.firstlig...-150pl-ota.html

I could order one similar to yours from Agena. 6" is user friendly, compared to my 8"

https://agenaastro.c...lector-ota.html

#129 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:11 PM

I use a 3.2 StarGuider or Barlow 6mm and 9mm ortho's to get 300x. I have even had 321x and 337x on good nights. 

https://www.orionopt...onianrefle.html

I seriously considered an Orion Optics VX but they don't do f/6.

#130 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:41 AM

I'm almost certain that Orion Optics will make you an f/6 to order.

#131 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 December 2019 - 10:07 AM

I use a 3.2 StarGuider or Barlow 6mm and 9mm ortho's to get 300x. I have even had 321x and 337x on good nights. 

https://www.orionopt...onianrefle.html

I seriously considered an Orion Optics VX but they don't do f/6.

Ah yes your favourite 3.2mm Starguider. smile.gif

I have Orion Optics in mind too if I ever need to replace my current 8" Synta skywatcher. I find it a bit irritating we need to consider products from Europe either from Orion Optics or TS.. visual astronomy looks like very depleted business in America.

The 8" F6 VX8L from Orion Optics looks nice too.

https://www.orionopt.../VX/vx8-8l.html

And Merry Christmas !

Edited by N3p, 25 December 2019 - 10:07 AM.

#132 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

I'm almost certain that Orion Optics will make you an f/6 to order.

I might consider that if I upgrade.

#133 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 December 2019 - 10:13 AM

Ah yes your favourite 3.2mm Starguider. smile.gif

I have Orion Optics in mind too if I ever need to replace my current 8" Synta skywatcher. I find it a bit irritating we need to consider products from Europe either from Orion Optics or TS.. visual astronomy looks like very depleted business in America.

And Merry Christmas !

I only have two StarGuiders lol. The 3.2mm is surprisingly good though. I considered the VX8L, but wasn't sure the EQ5 would handle it, and it probably wouldn't fit in my bag. Plus, I really wanted a 6", f/6 Newt'.

#134 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

It is indeed!

Mine is on their Dob mount and, despite being somewhat disabled,  I can carry the mount in 1 hand and the OTA in the other.  This is partly because of the light weight, and partly because of the small footprint of their DOB mount allowing it to carried close to the body.  I then carry the OTA in the other hand by grasping one of the altitude rings.

This means that I can manage a bigger Orion Optics scope than other makes.  In fact, I've just bought one of their 10 inch f/4.8s for this reason. 

Both of mine have 1/10 wave mirrors with Stehls of 0.99 and the optics are superb.

• eros312 likes this

#135 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

It is indeed!

Mine is on their Dob mount and, despite being somewhat disabled,  I can carry the mount in 1 hand and the OTA in the other.  This is partly because of the light weight, and partly because of the small footprint of their DOB mount allowing it to carried close to the body.  I then carry the OTA in the other hand by grasping one of the altitude rings.

This means that I can manage a bigger Orion Optics scope than other makes.  In fact, I've just bought one of their 10 inch f/4.8s for this reason. 

Both of mine have 1/10 wave mirrors with Stehls of 0.99 and the optics are superb.

Their tubes are aluminum too I think, this will help with the overall weight, a wise choice of alloy in my opinion.

I had to go check their Dobson base to remember it, it looks nice and light weight. I think I am going to build a variable friction brake just like them in the next days.. I need that on my own base.

https://www.orionopt...onianmount.html

Do you like 10" F4.8 without a coma corrector STA?

They truly have very nice models.. the other longer version of the 10" is F6.3. interesting numbers

Edited by N3p, 25 December 2019 - 02:38 PM.

#136 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

Ahgg that's a great choice a 10" F4.8 it would fit easily inside my car.. smile.gif I want one someday. 

#137 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

I've just got the 10 inch mirror back from recoating by Orion Optics but not had a clear night to try it yet. I have an Explore Scientific coma corrector and will be using this with it.

I haven't used the coma corrector with my 8 inch f/6 as it won't fit in the focusser because the latter is flocked.

#138 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:18 PM

I'd add that both the tube and the Dob mount of the OOUKs are made from aluminium for lightness. It also means that water won't soak into the base.

The idea was to buy the highest performance scope I could manage with my limited mobility. After handling lots of different models the OOUK easily came out on top, even without the 1/10th wave optics.

I managed to get a tenth wave 8" f/6 very quickly, but had to wait another year for the tenth wave 10" f/4.8. Putting out wanted ads are what did the trick. The 8" was in excellent condition but the 10" mirror needed recoating.

#139 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:41 AM

I'd add that both the tube and the Dob mount of the OOUKs are made from aluminium for lightness. It also means that water won't soak into the base.

The idea was to buy the highest performance scope I could manage with my limited mobility. After handling lots of different models the OOUK easily came out on top, even without the 1/10th wave optics.

I managed to get a tenth wave 8" f/6 very quickly, but had to wait another year for the tenth wave 10" f/4.8. Putting out wanted ads are what did the trick. The 8" was in excellent condition but the 10" mirror needed recoating.

You are in luck being able to have these nice telescopes. I was told it's possible to get a Chinese mirror with 1/10 Wave also, nowadays it's happening apparently.  I Still need to test  my synta mirror.

You found your 8" and 10" in America or UK?

#140 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:43 AM

Here in the UK.

#141 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 26 December 2019 - 12:29 PM

I don't think there was a topic per se. I was letting you know about my using of Ali. I will let you know when I receive the eyepieces and their condition. Are they new, clean or not. In the meantime feel free to discuss anything.

Look forward to hearing when they arrive.  And btw, CN folks always "feel free" to discuss anything regardless of the topic lol.gif

• bbqediguana likes this

#142 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:08 PM

I've bought several from them (all ES) with no issue whatever.  A little longer wait on shipping but for the deep discounts available, it's well worth it for me.

Current prices:

ES68 24mm - $85

ES68 28mm - $136

ES68 34mm - $170

ES82 14mm - $123

ES82 30mm - $212

Some with free shipping to the US.

I have all three of the 24,28 and 34mm. The 2" 28mm is pretty lightwieght for a 2" and is a great performer as well. I use it a lot in my 4" Frac where I have to watch the back end weight. The 34mm on the other hand is a little on the heavy side. I use that one in my 10" Dob with a UHC or a OIII for big nebula light the Vail ect. These are used prices for new ones!

#143 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

My friend received his 2 ES eyepieces from Aliexpress a 24mm and a 20mm, they are pristine apparently and everything went well, they are just like the ones you can buy from the USA. Knowing him, I doubt he will ever order any ES eyepiece from any local stores in Quebec.

I saw the pictures and they look great, they need to be tested of course. 

He ordered around December 14th and received today January 22, it took +-40 days calendar to receive the eyepieces.

This is the new box for the 68d Series and apparently these eyepieces are designed in the USA, I was told here these eyepieces were 100% JOC design, confusing. grin.gif

QjB89TP.jpg?1

LR2Aa6F.jpg?1

Is it me or they like to change their boxes often at ES?

#144 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

Must be running low on blue ink

#145 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:04 AM

Must be running low on blue ink

Yeah lol.gif

#146 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:37 AM

My friend received his 2 ES eyepieces from Aliexpress a 24mm and a 20mm, they are pristine apparently and everything went well, they are just like the ones you can buy from the USA. Knowing him, I doubt he will ever order any ES eyepiece from any local stores in Quebec.

I saw the pictures and they look great, they need to be tested of course. 

He ordered around December 14th and received today January 22, it took +-40 days calendar to receive the eyepieces.

This is the new box for the 68d Series and apparently these eyepieces are designed in the USA, I was told here these eyepieces were 100% JOC design, confusing. grin.gif

QjB89TP.jpg?1

LR2Aa6F.jpg?1

Is it me or they like to change their boxes often at ES?

How are you avoiding custom fees and value added tax?

In the UK the tax free threshold is very low (I think only £18 or so on certain items) and everything above is exposed to import duties + VAT  and often additional collection costs issued by Royal Mail or the courier. This then means an additional 25% on average to the purchase price.

I once ordered a Vixen adapter from Japan and was lucky because shipping and item price was just below the tax free threshold.

Site note: The box says "Okular" which is the German word for eyepiece.

Edited by Magnetic Field, 23 January 2020 - 08:45 AM.

#147 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

In the UK the tax free threshold is very low (I think only £18 or so on certain items) and everything above is exposed to import duties + VAT  and often additional collection costs issued by Royal Mail or the courier. This then means an additional 25% on average to the purchase price.

I once ordered a Vixen adapter from Japan and was lucky because shipping and item price was just below the tax free threshold.

I will ask the question about the custom fees and value added tax. Perhaps my friend is not telling me everything.

I can't say about the word Okular there either, but that's another interesting thing, it was probably originally meant to be sold in Europe.

#148 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

I just received this evening my ES14 82 from aliexpress. This is my second EP (after an ES 2468). The ES 1482 price was 124 usd with shipping included to Denmark and arrived in an amazing time of only two weeks. 

My box is also missing the blue ink... the 2468 was ok.  

the EP looks clean, well manufactured, no blemishes or noticeable defects. i will test it in the next days in my Skywatcher 102 f/5 and the Zeiss Telementor. So far it looks fine!!

Carlos

• eros312 likes this

#149 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:49 AM

It is known that the Meade 4K SWAs/ES68*s were copied from TV Panoptics so no confusion, originally were designed in the USA and JOC admits that lol.gif .
I won't be much surprised if to the next version of the ES68*s boxes will be added a phrase with appreciation to Uncle Al e.g. for inspiration... wink.gif

#150 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:14 AM

I will ask the question about the custom fees and value added tax. Perhaps my friend is not telling me everything.

I can't say about the word Okular there either, but that's another interesting thing, it was probably originally meant to be sold in Europe.

Someone here asked if Explore Scientific would honour the warranty on the eyepiece.

If you send them the eyepiece with "Okular" on the box label they gonna know then it was not meant to be sold on the American market.

It would be interesting to know if the seller on AliExpress did this on purpose; or was it just a random coincidence and the next purchaser in the queue will get a box with a different heritage label.

Edited by Magnetic Field, 24 January 2020 - 03:19 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics