•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES68 eyepieces from AliExpress

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#151 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:15 AM

I just received this evening my ES14 82 from aliexpress. This is my second EP (after an ES 2468). The ES 1482 price was 124 usd with shipping included to Denmark and arrived in an amazing time of only two weeks. 

My box is also missing the blue ink... the 2468 was ok.  

the EP looks clean, well manufactured, no blemishes or noticeable defects. i will test it in the next days in my Skywatcher 102 f/5 and the Zeiss Telementor. So far it looks fine!!

Carlos

Does it also say "Okular"?

#152 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:31 AM

Does it also say "Okular"?

Hi,

No, it does not say Okular. the sticker mentions "Eyepiece". I think all these pale boxes are all the same on the new batch, a pitty, considering how beautiful is the Will Tirion chart, but well.... the EP is the important one.  

My experience was interesting but i read its quite frequent (happened also with the 2468). I bought the EP from another dealer on the 11.11 discount sale and, at the end of the agreed time of delivery, the seller contacted me to cancel the order and promptly provided me the refund. I went later to a dedicated astronomical equipment seller in Aliexpress and bought it again at the same price and came "faster".

Some shops can show reduced prices on preorders to attract buyers, but they will eventually cancel the order. For 5 usd more, i saw there is no problem. and 5 usd more is fine as long as it comes as quick as possible.

Carlos

#153 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:15 AM

Someone here asked if Explore Scientific would honour the warranty on the eyepiece.

If you send them the eyepiece with "Okular" on the box label they gonna know then it was not meant to be sold on the American market.

It would be interesting to know if the seller on AliExpress did this on purpose; or was it just a random coincidence and the next purchaser in the queue will get a box with a different heritage label.

Call me an old curmudgeon if you will, but I still prefer to buy my new astro gear from "local" vendors. And by local, I mean the US and Canada. My feeling is that I know I will spend a bit more but I am supporting the sales and support infrastructure locally and I know I can get assistance and advice easily. Additionally if there is a problem with the product (which has happened in the past), I can get it resolved quickly to my satisfaction without any worry.

However, to each their own - I'm sure AliExpress offers a great price, and if the product received performs properly, then that is a win for the buyer. For me, though, it's worth supporting the people I've been buying from for the last 30 years.

Cheers!

Rick

• kevint1 likes this

#154 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

Call me an old curmudgeon if you will, but I still prefer to buy my new astro gear from "local" vendors. And by local, I mean the US and Canada. My feeling is that I know I will spend a bit more but I am supporting the sales and support infrastructure locally and I know I can get assistance and advice easily. Additionally if there is a problem with the product (which has happened in the past), I can get it resolved quickly to my satisfaction without any worry.

However, to each their own - I'm sure AliExpress offers a great price, and if the product received performs properly, then that is a win for the buyer. For me, though, it's worth supporting the people I've been buying from for the last 30 years.

Cheers!

Rick

I have never ordered something through Ali Express.

Also, as said it helps a lot that the UK (or EU) keeps a lid on customs and import duty from ordering outside of the European Union.

Although, I have often no sympathy for UK dealers because they profit a lot from orders from Australia and often the US as well (I have seen this especially with cycling gear). Same language (at least in written form) means warranty issues can be dealt with (sure sending something back around the world is costly).

Edited by Magnetic Field, 24 January 2020 - 12:44 PM.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#155 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

Current lowest prices on the ES68 line from AliExpress...

16, 20, 24mm - $99.80

28mm - $148

34mm - $198

ES82s are $125. 

$4.83 shipping to the US (no VAT or any other charges)

#156 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:40 AM

Current lowest prices on the ES68 line from AliExpress...

16, 20, 24mm - $99.80

28mm - $148

34mm - $198

ES82s are $125. 

$4.83 shipping to the US (no VAT or any other charges)

In the UK the ES 82 degrees costs between £120 and £140 (online dealer street price). This is USD 150--175.

But when you factor in the 25% (VAT+customs duty + courier customs duty collection fee) the AliExpress price of USD130 all in a sudden turns out to be USD160. Not so great a deal anymore.

Edited by Magnetic Field, 25 January 2020 - 04:41 AM.

#157 pregulla

pregulla

Ranger 4

• Loc: Israel

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

How are you avoiding custom fees and value added tax?

In the UK the tax free threshold is very low (I think only £18 or so on certain items) and everything above is exposed to import duties + VAT and often additional collection costs issued by Royal Mail or the courier. This then means an additional 25% on average to the purchase price.

I once ordered a Vixen adapter from Japan and was lucky because shipping and item price was just below the tax free threshold.

Site note: The box says "Okular" which is the German word for eyepiece.

Chinese selles often declare lower value for the package.

#158 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:26 PM

In the UK the ES 82 degrees costs between £120 and £140 (online dealer street price). This is USD 150--175.

But when you factor in the 25% (VAT+customs duty + courier customs duty collection fee) the AliExpress price of USD130 all in a sudden turns out to be USD160. Not so great a deal anymore.

You’re referring to VAT, customs duty etc to get them into the U.K. right?

• nva likes this

#159 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

You’re referring to VAT, customs duty etc to get them into the U.K. right?

Yes.

#160 mv1612

mv1612

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

I just got my eyepieces yesterday, Jan 29. The order time was Dec 10 shocked.gif .

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

It was kind of painful. They have a "Track order" button that let's you see roughly where your package is, with positions like    "Departed country of origin"   ,   "Arrived at destination country"   and a flashing point moving through them. A week after shipping, that point had moved past  "Departed country of origin"  so I was saying all is good. The thing is, it got stuck there for the remainder of the time, even now it's still there. Because that indicator worked correctly before, telling me that the package arrived in my country and is ready to be delivered, the fact that the point was now stuck made me feel extremely uneasy, thinking that the package was just forgotten somewhere and I wouldn't gonna receive it. I was preparing myself for the "Open dispute" thing. 

But all is good, the eyepieces are clearly new, the optics is clean everywhere, I can't wait to use them.

I'm not sure I wouldn't recommend Ali from now on, I can see myself ordering from them again, but the "waiting for the package" experience was really bad.

PS: My blue ink looks good smile.gif.

Edited by mv1612, 30 January 2020 - 10:12 AM.

• Corcaroli78 and eros312 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics