•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

V623 Cassiopeiae

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

It is a real privilege to share my deep admiration for carbon stars here on Cloudy Nights. 

My very first carbon was T Lyrae way back in December 2000. 

My second was one of the very brightest in the entire sky: TX or 19 Piscium. 

(Give me TX any day)

Clear skies from Aubrey. 

I remember observing TX Piscium in a 20" refl. It was a beautiful Pumpkin Orange.

• flt158 likes this

#27 Astrolog

Astrolog

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Saint Louis, Missouri

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:03 PM

There's an interesting article in the Feb 2020 issue of S&T on Dwarf Carbon Stars. Most Astronomers have never heard of them. I took this image of the Dwarf Carbon Star G77-61, talked about in the article, from the Slooh Canary Islands Robotic Observatory. G77-61 is located in Taurus.

Rich - After reading your post, I finally opened my Feb 2020 issue of S&T and read the article about Dwarf Carbon stars.

I certainly had never heard of this type of carbon star prior to reading this: a very good read.

• flt158 likes this

#28 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

There's an interesting article in the Feb 2020 issue of S&T on Dwarf Carbon Stars. Most Astronomers have never heard of them. I took this image of the Dwarf Carbon Star G77-61, talked about in the article, from the Slooh Canary Islands Robotic Observatory. G77-61 is located in Taurus.

Rich -

Thanks for the heads-up on these objects.  I managed to get a  few images of G77-61 last night before the storm clouds moved in.  Measured the magnitude at 14.0

This object also has  a high proper motion as brought out in the article.  I took my photo and overlayed it on a DSS photo taken in 1988.  You can see the stars motion over the intervening 31 years. 

G77-61 Tau C9 12-26-19 8fr.jpg

G77-61 1988-2019 PM.jpg

• Rich (RLTYS) and flt158 like this

#29 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:29 AM

That is so cool, I was wondering why the faint star just to the left of G77-61 was in a different position on my image as compared to the S&T image. G77-61 had changed position heading southward, the S&T image is older. cool.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics