•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron LiteRoc tripod

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mandarpotdar

mandarpotdar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mumbai/Pune, India

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:14 PM

Hello folks. iOptron seems to have started providing a new tripod named LiteRoc with 1.75" dia steel legs. This is still not seen on https://www.ioptron.com/, but available elsewhere (eg. https://www.optics-p...teroc/p,49155). The claim is "Our new LiteRoc 1.75" tripod delivers rock solid stability in a lighter, more compact package", "with improved stability and leg locks" and one place even saw mention about it being more stable than their 2" tripod.

Some dealers are bundling this tripod even with CEM60. Is that reasonable or pushing the tripod too much?

Any reviews about this tripod and comparison with older 2" tripod are welcome.

Regards,

Mandar

#2 PaulE54

PaulE54

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW England

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:32 AM

I've got one, see my post some weeks back. It's easy to use, stable, feels a quality product. Not noted any issues except a leg lock did not tighten enough out of the box. Easy to fix myself and no problem since fixed. Contacted ioptron who said they'd make extra checks to ensure no one else affected. I haven't got experience of previous 1.5 or 2 inch models so can't help there I'm afraid. I use mine with my CEM40, for which it is ample.

• astrosatch likes this

#3 mandarpotdar

mandarpotdar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:30 AM

Thanks Paul. Yes, saw your post.
Could you tell the minimum and maximum height, upto the base plate?

#4 PaulE54

PaulE54

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:49 AM

Hi Mandar.

I don't really want to go messing with my leg lengths as I have them perfectly set for having the mount level and polar aligned. What I can say is that the minimum length of a leg from base to baseplate is around 80cms and I have my legs currently set to around 112cms, and they will extend considerably beyond that. With legs set to around 112cms the baseplate is 104cms above the ground, which is an ideal height for me. 

The angle of the legs when extended is probably slightly narrower than my previous EQ5 mount. However due to the way the CEM40 balances, the whole setup does not feel any less stable - in fact it feels more solid. 

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes.

Paul

#5 mandarpotdar

mandarpotdar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:45 AM

Thanks. This is useful. So shortest height is about 80*104/112 = 74cm = 29".
I am more interested in shortest height. I am a reflector person :).
  • PaulE54 likes this

#6 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:29 AM

Seems almost the same as my 2" tripod i have from TS Germany from Ioptron...Only it is suited for IEQ30 pro and i believe CEM60. It has a pin in the middle.

Weight is 8 kg. I find it quite stable , surely for the weight i put on it wich is is less the 17 kg , all together, mount , scope and counterweight, and that even with the legs fully out.I have no complaints about it.

BTW the link points to a 2" mount not a 1.75"

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 13 December 2019 - 02:33 AM.

#7 Beaverpond Astro

Beaverpond Astro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Ontario

Posted 27 April 2020 - 02:31 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have additional experience or comments after 4 months since the last post with the 1.75" Lightroc tripod?

I'm considering the CEM 40 or GEM 45 but have been nervous about other's negative experience and comments regarding the previous 1.5" and 2" tripods from iOptron.  Seems like the Lightroc is a better design, but was hoping to get more input.

I plan on mounting a WO GT102 for dark site imaging and possibly a RASA 8" someday.

thanks!

#8 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Messenger

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:27 PM

I got the 2 in tripod for my CEM-60. It feels to me like its barely adequate for the mount and scope (10 in. LX850) and I just do visual observing. So I'm wonder if a 1 1/2 inch tripod will be considered as a suitable replacement. I'm going to look into getting some appropriate holes tapped into my old CGE tripod and use it instead. 

#9 PaulE54

PaulE54

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:35 PM

I'm happy with my 1.75 literoc. When seeing is at its best round here (a rare event!) the CEM40 will turn in guiding around 0.5 arcsec all night long. It's easy to set up, stable enough for my needs. If I was imaging at longer focal lengths (I'm around 1000mm) or with heavier loads (I have less than 10kg) then I might look for a TriPier, but for what I use it for, it's perfectly OK. 

Paul 

• Chris K likes this

#10 Beaverpond Astro

Beaverpond Astro

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:32 PM

thanks for the input Paul...I'll be at 600mm fl or less and about 10kgs max, so sounds like it would be a good fit.

cheers.

Steve

#11 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Ranger 4

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:45 PM

I purchased my CEM25p mount last December, got the literoc tripod optioin.  I like it.  My previous mount was a Celestron CG-4.  The new CEM25p is:  1) lighter than the CG-4  2) lower height mainly due to tripod legs, but also the "Z" design of the mount head  3) more accurate tracking (unguided).

So far then, I've got nothing but positives to say about the mount/ literoc tripod combo.  I know that traditional wisdom is that lightness = weaker, but in this case not so.  The mount/tripod is rigid, and able to handle the design loads without vibration.  Still and video photographers have been using carbon fiber mounts for quite a while now, so there is something to be said about good engineering, and I believe ioptron has done a pretty good job with this one.  If you get into a situation where you feel like you need a bit of extra stability, you could weight the legs.

#12 Beaverpond Astro

Beaverpond Astro

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:44 AM

that's good news...thanks Sam.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics