•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scale model of Solar System planets

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Cheshire, UK

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:27 PM

Our Astro Society was asked if we could lead a couple of sessions for a local Cub scouts group to prepare them for their Astronomy Badge.

A lot of the content is around the Solar System, so we thought that we'd assemble some appropriately scaled models.  At a craft shop we were able to pick up Polystyrene balls in following sizes which are pretty close to representative.

10cm - for Jupiter

8cm  - for Saturn (about 5mm too small) 

to which we added a card 'hoop' for the rings - inside diameter  9cm, outside diameter 19cm

4cm  - for Uranus and Neptune (c 5mm too large)

1cm  - for Earth and Venus  (1 & 1.5mm too large respectively)

0.5mm for Mars and Mercury (Mercury about 0.1mm too large)

If you can get a beachball about 1 metre in diameter, that will stand for the Sun.

We painted the 'planets' in appropriate colours using acrylic paints and they looked pretty good.

You can play with the scale factors on this Google Sheets on my drive

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

The calculation cells are locked, but you should be able to select your 'base' planet using the blue dropdown, and then select what size you want it to be using the left hand yellow cell.

The right hand yellow cell allows you to select the size you want for the orbits (obviously on a completely different scale to the planets).

I have a 15 metre tape that works well for Sun - Neptune, so Jupiter at 2.6m fits that scale.

Edited by gfamily, 12 December 2019 - 05:41 PM.

• goodricke1, tchandler and Joe1950 like this

#2 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

Just had it pointed out that Mars and  Mercury should be 0.5 cm rather than 0.5mm

#3 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

I put a scale model of the solar system together about 35 years ago for a few talks I was giving.  I wasn't real particular with the colors...  This is Saturn and the Earth - Moon system.

Marty

Attached Thumbnails

• Earth, Moon, & Saturn  (2).jpg

• Special Ed, Jon Isaacs, gfamily and 1 other like this

#4 Eagle Butte Observatory

Eagle Butte Observatory

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: 49° 56' 39.84" N & 110° 34' 29.06" W

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

I am always amazed how many ways and different scales can be employed to teach solar system through models.

#5 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

I am always amazed how many ways and different scales can be employed to teach solar system through models.

My favourite is that if the Earth Sun distance is an inch (2.5cm),

the closest distance to Jupiter is about the width of your hand;

the distance to Saturn is about the length of your hand,

and the distance to Neptune is about the length of your outstretched arm.

and usefully, this corresponds to a light year being a mile.

#6 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:46 PM

A member of our local RASC chapter has made similar models (with similar sizes) for kids' outreach events.  When he does his demonstration at the annual star party, he also does the distances to scale. He paces out the distances and places the models, on sticks, at the appropriate distance from the Sun. With the Sun located at the event building, Pluto (yes, he includes it) is about a kilometre away at the entrance to the campground!

• okiestarman56 and bumm like this

#7 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:17 PM

One thing that usually got a reaction when I'd show the planets in post #3 and tell the distances between them was when I'd get to the end and explain that at this scale, where the Earth is a half inch in diameter, the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, would be 27,000 miles away.

Marty

#8 tchandler

tchandler

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:26 PM

That’s a fun project. I’ve recently made a scale model of the Big Dipper, showing what the cluster looks like in 3D. Scale is 1 metre to 10 light years. The Milky Way is still 4 times the diameter of the earth at this scale. And the earth at this scale is the size of an atom. 

• bumm likes this

#9 jeg

jeg

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 12:53 PM

I'm a volunteer at the John J. McCarthy Observatory in New Milford, CT and we built a scale model based on a 6 ft. diameter Sun. Pluto is 4.4 miles away.

Here is what they looked like all together before being installed around the town. Come visit when in the neighborhood. (www.mccarthyobservatory.org)

planetpyr005.jpg

#10 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted Today, 06:11 PM

I'm a volunteer at the John J. McCarthy Observatory in New Milford, CT and we built a scale model based on a 6 ft. diameter Sun. Pluto is 4.4 miles away.

Here is what they looked like all together before being installed around the town. Come visit when in the neighborhood. (www.mccarthyobservatory.org)

planetpyr005.jpg

I really like the fact that you included Pluto.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics