•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron Cem mount/ASIair owners? Quick question...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

Hello,

I've finally put together my scope setup and have a question for Ioptron (or any mount really owners that use the ASIair).

I'm wondering what your evening start-up is like.

I'm thinking I'll use the ASIair to polar align then can I just slew to literally any part of the sky, take a 10 second pic to blind plate solve and sync? Do I need the hand controller at all? Do I need the gps module plugged in at all? Are these clouds ever going to pass so I can test all this lol?

How are you guys doing it?

Thanks in advance!

• Maryland Mike likes this

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

You’ve pretty much got it. I have to still have the handset attached with the CEM25P, just because that’s the only way to connect the mount to the computer. But I haven’t actually used the handset in at least 9 months. Mine is on a permanent pier, so I can skip polar align, but...start up, slew to a star, plate solve with recenter/synch turned on (I use NINA). Done. No “star align,” no touching the handset, just start up, solve, synch, and go.

With your CEM40, you can probably skip the handset since you can connect directly to the mount.

Edited by OldManSky, 12 December 2019 - 07:33 PM.

• Jeff Smith, Maryland Mike and johrich like this

#3 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

It sounds too good to be true lol. I got out of the hobby years ago and things were not nearly as automated. I can now literally polar align and go back in the house for the night. Seems crazy...

• joseph07081 and OldManSky like this

#4 joseph07081

joseph07081

Messenger

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:59 PM

My first night out with my CEM40 and ASIAir and it worked just as you described. Ran the polar alignment routine, which took a few minutes, then directed it to go to M31. It slewed, did a plate solve and M31 was smack dab in the middle of the sensor on my ASI294MC. Life is good!

I did have the hand controller connected, but I never touched it. My next available night out I will try the same setup without the hand controller. 

• Jeff Smith likes this

#5 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:45 PM

One thing...  

If you DON'T use the GPS, then you MUST enter your location info manually.  

Since the GPS is an external unit, I just mounted it up top and leave it there.  Then I tell my software to get location info from the mount.  Works a treat! 

(I am pretty sure the CEM40 is the same as the GEM45 in that regard...)

• joseph07081, Jeff Smith and OldManSky like this

#6 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:20 PM

Thank you for the help guys!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics