No imaging getting done at all these days, so to keep things ticking over i decided to re-visit a data set from last year, as i was never truly happy with how my original version came out back then.
Nikon D5300 (Ha modified)
24 x 300s with IDAS-D1 (ISO 200)
51 x 360s with IDAS-D1 (ISO 200)
SW 80ED w FF/FR
Flats & Bias. Stacked in APP, processed in PS.
I used a new method this time, which involved using 2 layers. The bottom layer was done using a light arcsinh-stretch, mainly just for the stars. Above that, i placed (using 'Screen' blend mode) a Starless version, made using Starnet on a low DDP-stretched version (done in APP). With further curve adjustments to both layers, i was able to enhance the galaxy and keep the small stars shining through, and without dark halos. So this image has had no star reduction applied.
Much happier with how this has come out, i think it's probably my best image so far. Would love to hear feedback from others though, as we sometimes look at our images for too long and end up going blind to their issues.
ps - Just for reference, here's a link to last year's awful version! https://astrob.in/373639/0/
Edited by xiga, 12 December 2019 - 07:47 PM.