•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RC 8" on top of my 102/714 frac?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 niccoc1603

niccoc1603

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Firenze, Italy

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:54 AM

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand RC 8" Carbon. I am intrigued by it, but can't really decide on the cost/opportunity factor

I have recently, and finally, come to a good balance with my current set up, but it looks like in this hobby when you solve your troubles you start looking for the next one :)

• 102/7124 APO refractor
  • iOptron CEM40
  • ZWO OAG
  • ASI1600MM

Now the point is what benefits would I get from he RC8? 

Sure more FL for galaxies and close-up details on nebulas, but also collimation which I have never done

Is my CEM40 able to handle and guide it well enough at 0.5"/px? 

#2 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:06 PM

With respect to your doubts on collimation, just get the Takahashi colimating scope with extenders for it and you are set to go. With that tool colimation is done during daytime, and with precision. At least that was my experience, also with a 2nd hand rc carbon 8"

#3 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:07 PM

Ah, forgot to mention that I use an EQ6, don't know how that compares to your mount :thinking:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics