•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM 40 WITH 120 ESPRIT

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:19 AM

Well it arrived. Thank You Astronomics.
It took me awhile to go through the set up of the mount. Adjusting the bolt locations for the azimuth and the V-L dovetail. As much as I love their mounts, they need to hire someone to word their instructions properly/better.
But after using their previous mounts CEM25P, I knew to take my time (with a bottle of wine) and think it through. End result is that all is well.
Set the 120 Esprit on and balanced it for visual with my 2" Baader diagonal and 13 Ethos. Note that all I had extra was a 2.5kg. That seemed to do the trick. But I do have a spare 4.5kg on order just in case. Should be able to raise the weights a little when it arrives.
I'm hoping tomorrow to have some free time to download the IPolar software and any current updates to the firmware (haven't powered it up yet to check).
I plan on putting it on one of my JMI dolly, lowering the legs to about half height and keep it up and ready in the garage for opportune evenings.
No doubt this is the max for this mount. I did see one other pic of  a WO 132FLT on it, but they had it on Tri pier.
I believe that if I ever want to do more than visual and SC "live Stack" (meaning longer exposers) the CEM60 would be the way I will have to go. I am blessed with the ability to do so should I need. At which time I will load the C-8/ on the CEM40 and the 80 Esprit on the CEM25P.
With the weather around the Chicago area it may be awhile, but I'll add a First Light follow up.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0622-2.jpg

• zjc26138, eros312, GrandadCast and 2 others like this

#2 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:36 AM

What is the weight of the setup with the Esprit?

Looks nice!

#3 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:17 AM

Looks great! We have similar setups.

#4 Arie

Arie

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

Nice rig.

Well meant advise:

Do indeed add some more weigth to it.

This is bad practice. Far to much flexibillity and vibrations with the weigths hanging this far away.

Enjoy that beautifull telescope!

• GrandadCast likes this

#5 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

What is the weight of the setup with the Esprit?

Looks nice!

i looked it up it is about 10 kg. And that is the max? Why is Ioptron overating their mounts sooo much.

Specs say 40 lbs that is about 18 kg...!! 10 kg is quite a different figure..

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 13 December 2019 - 02:54 PM.

• dapalmer likes this

#6 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Jackson, MO

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

What tripod is this on?  I agree with Freddy, if this is approaching the limit of this mount for visual then the mount is significantly over-rated. Maybe it is the tripod reaching it's limit.  The Esprit 120ED is 840mm fl, so not short but also not super long. 

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:53 AM

Don't think it is the tripod. IMHO the 2 " is quite descent.

It is more the overating of Ioptron. I have the same with my IEQ30 pro. Although the mount pleases me,i find it a good design, it can not cope with loads over 10 kg IMO. This interest me because i might get (far future) another heavier mount but then i really have to know well what it can take and what not...and i have to say , i just  might be another Ioptron..

I have this silly rule for myself, take the load of the mount add about 20%-25% and that gives you the limit. IEQ30 pro is 6.8 kg ad about 20 % and roughly you will get around 9 kg...(roughly).My HEQ5 at the time weighted 10 kg , add 2 kg and you are at 12 kg..

The weight of the CEM40 is only 7.2 kg ...I understand it is not a standard GEM but still ...dunno

#8 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Viking 1

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:26 AM

I don’t think this mount is that overrated. Ben Astrophotography (YouTube) is running 32 pounds worth of imagining equipment and has no issues with that load. So putting unknown information about a mount before one tests the equipment himself should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Jess

• dapalmer likes this

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:26 AM

32 pounds is about 15 kg, sounds more raisonable...

But you are right , one has got to test to be sure.

#10 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:15 AM

However, Ben's is running Epsilon 180mm (22 pounds just the OTA) and it's not a long refractor, the OP showing his setup here, I would be adding more counter weight, getting closer to the mount. The current setup is likely to have a lot of settling time, likely vibrations, and likely to catch a bit of wind. Then again, a test will let us all know.

Jess

#11 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:37 AM

Good points Jess. This setup does look a bit awkward with the counterweight setup and getting a live look at the sky will be the real test.

txo showed a picture with his WO FLT132 on the 2" tri-pod and claimed to shoot 24 x 700 sec. photos with no rejects in the thread Ben started. He had two counterweights (one slightly further up the shaft), but probably need 3. He said his setup was 13.5kg and the FLT132 is a bit longer than the Esprit.

That being said, it will be interesting to hear MrRoberts results after he gets to add a CW and get some clear skies, which might be a while. I live in the Midwest also and the weather man is calling for clouds for the foreseeable future. It is always good to hear reports from multiple users. A mix of conservative and liberal view points gives a better measure of true capabilities.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#12 Bcteleskier

Bcteleskier

Lift Off

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:10 PM

I have the Esprit 120 with the 63mm Riccardi reducer, ASI1600, EFW filter wheel and OAG guider with ASI290 all on my CEM40EC using 4-8 sec intervals exposures and get good guiding. I have three of the large counter weights for good balance. I also have the 1.5" tripod at the shortest possible length as extended I found it a bit unstable. I've attached an image from a recent stack of 15 minute exposures. Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ha HorseHead-16bit-1048.jpg

Edited by Bcteleskier, 14 December 2019 - 04:40 PM.

• GrandadCast, StarMike8SE and dapalmer like this

#13 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

Bcteleskier, very nice and proof positive.

I gotten the 42” pier with my iEQ45 ALT/AZ which is rock solid. I used a tripod too, but the pier is better. It’s actually packs very well with all the part fitting inside the tube. It is actually easy to setup too at about 5-8 minutes. Might be something to consider specially with a long refactor. 

https://www.astronom...m60-mounts.html

Jess

#14 richorn

richorn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:51 PM

+1 for the Tri-pier. It’s like a tank!

#15 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:12 AM

Great to hear you are having no issues with more counterweight, even for AP and 15min exposures.  Nice photo.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics