•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My experience using two 80-millimeter long-focus refractors

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:54 PM

Forgot the Vixen 80mf. The TMB and the Vixen lead in appearance.

#52 caussade

caussade

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:35 PM

Since weight is an issue along with size I endorse the Celestron GT102/1000 as occupying a sweet spot if you can find one.
The XLT102 f10 is heavier.
Also worthy of consideration is 90/900 or 90/1000.

If the weather would synchronize with my days off it would be interesting to compare the TMB80 vs Tasco 80 vs Celestron 80 vs Meade 80 vs Towa 80 here. I haven't found the CA of 80f11 objectionable .
And quite surprised TMB80

A comparison like that would be very interesting.  Thanks for chiming in, BigC.

#53 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:42 AM

What a great review, thank you so much. You captured what made me pursue astronomy as a hobby. Not a full range of expensive EP's and $5000- scope. But simple inexpensive gear and a desire to see what you can see

• BigC likes this

#54 caussade

caussade

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:20 PM

You're welcome, Avgvstvs.  I am glad to know that my review has been found to be inspirational.  Thanks for sharing!

#55 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

One of the most comprehensive reviews I've read. Excellent report. Agree with all of your comments concerning what an 80mm can reveal.
My only comment is that there are so many classic 80mm f'15's out there that have even better performance on things like the moon, planets, and double stars. Flat field for sure. Many can be had for a low price but also might need to be mounted on a more modern mount. Unfortunately some of these old models don't have great optics, but some do. The cost is low so no big risk. My Tasco 10K has a Carton lens and it is an amazing performer. People looking for a good deal should not rule out some of the old classics. Bill

#56 caussade

caussade

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:02 PM

Much appreciated, Bill, and I totally agree.  These telescopes pack a lot of performance on a very cost-effective product.  I read the thread you recently started on the Carton lens for your Tasco 10K telescope, and I am glad that you found this product.  By the way, I am also a satisfied customer of Sheldon Faworski; he is great to do business with.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics