•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New At Stacking

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cumulas

Cumulas

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: US - Northeastern Ohio

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:28 PM

Started with the free stuff first. Cropped with PIPP, stacked with Registax6 with mixed results. Moving up to Helicon (Unless someone convinces me to go Zerene).  Would I still need to crop with PIPP?

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:58 PM

What are you stacking?

Rather hope it is a video as that is what Registax is really for, and you should identify the "best" frame and request say the best 10% to be stacked.

If you are stacking long exposure images - DSLR of 30 seconds plus and say 30 or 40 of them then DSS is preferable (Deep Sky Stacker).

Helicon and Zerene read more of a stacker like DSS so Registax may not be the best option.

If the "normal" DSO imaging then I suggest starting with DSS - more people have used it, get something to process and then try Helicon or Zerene.

Sorry to ask so much but the more you can provide about what in images and why helps. Even what camera.

#3 AZ Maverick

AZ Maverick

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Prescott, Arizona

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:09 PM

ASTAP is also has a free image stacking program as well as a pretty dern good plate solver.

https://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

#4 Cumulas

Cumulas

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: US - Northeastern Ohio

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:32 PM

Sorry for the lack of information.  I'm doing moon shots with a Nikkor 200-500 lens with a Nikon D5500. Single exposures. Would video be better?

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:54 PM

Sorry for the lack of information.  I'm doing moon shots with a Nikkor 200-500 lens with a Nikon D5500. Single exposures. Would video be better?

Yes, but that camera (which I own) is not ideal.  I do my moon imaging with a QHY174.  Less field of view, faster frame rate.

Registax (which I've used) is an excellent program for astro imaging, I have some doubts whether the terrestrial oriented programs you mention would be better.  Or even as good.

You'll get better answers on the Solar System Imaging forum.

Edited by bobzeq25, 13 December 2019 - 05:58 PM.

#6 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:08 PM

To stack lunar images you need 10,000's of thousands of frames. That's why people shoot videos. But your Nikon can't shoot full frame video, only a highly compressed 1080p.

If you're shooting single frame dSLR, just shoot severa framesl, pick the single best one, and call it good.

Focus is the most critical thing. Get good focus and shoot. The Front Range of Colorado has some of the worst seeing in the US, but I can consistently get at least THIS , shooting single shots, using an equally poor 560mm refractor for a lens. You should be able to do the same.

Edited by 17.5Dob, 13 December 2019 - 10:21 PM.

#7 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:46 AM

G'day Cumulas,

In my experience, the moon benefits significantly from stacking. In particular, almost any processing seems to bring out significant noise in the mare in a single image, but stacking lets me bring out better detail while suppressing the noise. Image quality improves with the square root of the number of frames in the stack; while I've stacked around a thousand RAWs for solar imaging, I've found the point of diminishing returns for the moon to be around 100 frames.

Single exposures are better for full-moon shots from your D5500…just use RAW (not JPEG) to minimize noise and maximize the color and contrast resolution of your stack. Use a bulb release from Live View to minimize mirror vibrations (an intervalometer will automate this).

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 14 December 2019 - 07:53 AM.

#8 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

You don't need to stack thousands of frames to obtain good results with Lunar imaging like you do with planetary imaging... you can stack 100 frames or so and do fine.

With Lunar imaging what is most important is a low ISO setting (200 or so), and setting the exposure so that the right foot of the histogram is about 75% across the histogram, this will leave you room to sharpen, denoise, and deconvolve.

This can all be done in Pixinsight.

#9 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:57 AM

You don't need to stack thousands of frames to obtain good results with Lunar imaging like you do with planetary imaging... you can stack 100 frames or so and do fine.

With Lunar imaging what is most important is a low ISO setting (200 or so), and setting the exposure so that the right foot of the histogram is about 75% across the histogram, this will leave you room to sharpen, denoise, and deconvolve.

This can all be done in Pixinsight.

I've done it in Registax.  I've done it in PixInsight.  Registax is easier, _far_ more widely used.  Not a close thing.

Head for the Solar System Imaging forum.  Honest.  <smile>

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics