•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone have success powering their Raspberry Pi 4 with an Ultimate Powerbox v2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thelosttrek

thelosttrek

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:29 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to power the Raspberry Pi 4, which uses a USB-C port at 5v. Has anyone had success powering this device using the Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox v2? If so, how did you do it? Did you use the variable output power or one of the standard USB-A ports? I've heard that the current Raspberry Pi 4 uses a non-compliant USB-C, so I wanted to make sure I could power this via the powerbox before purchase. Thanks!

#2 Astronomia Oaxaca

Astronomia Oaxaca

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:29 PM

From the FAQ:

"Q: I have a USB device which requires more power than a normal USB port.
A: Each USB port provides 2.5Amps of current. You will be fine.

If you use an Intel M3/5 Stick which has a USB-C socket you will need a USB A -> USB-C “fast charging” cable that can provide 3Amps. Normal USB-C cables have an internal resistor which limits current to 2.2Amps and leads to PC Stick shutdown".

#3 thelosttrek

thelosttrek

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for posting that. I saw that FAQ after I posted my question. smile.gif  I think it would still be nice to know if anyone has had any luck considering the Pi's non-compliant USB-C.

From the FAQ:

"Q: I have a USB device which requires more power than a normal USB port.
A: Each USB port provides 2.5Amps of current. You will be fine.

If you use an Intel M3/5 Stick which has a USB-C socket you will need a USB A -> USB-C “fast charging” cable that can provide 3Amps. Normal USB-C cables have an internal resistor which limits current to 2.2Amps and leads to PC Stick shutdown".

Edited by thelosttrek, 13 December 2019 - 10:42 PM.

#4 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:46 AM

It would be easy to make your own power cable with a step down converter.  See my post from the RPi thread: https://www.cloudyni...y-pi/?p=9593425

#5 thelosttrek

thelosttrek

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the reply, Steve. So you successfully created a step down converter and have it running from the Ultimate Powerbox? And the Pi works with the USB-C you picked out? I saw the recommendation on your thread, but it's hard to tell if you had success with both the Powerbox and Pi. Thank you either way.

I think I'm going to attempt to run the Pi from the 5v USB-A port, and use a fast charge USB-C, which is rated at 3A. I'm hoping that will be enough. It looks like it might work when you read the output and recommendations on the Pegasus website, and the requirements on the Pi website. I don't know if you have any thoughts on that, but open to suggestions based on your experience.

It would be easy to make your own power cable with a step down converter.  See my post from the RPi thread: https://www.cloudyni...y-pi/?p=9593425

Edited by thelosttrek, 14 December 2019 - 01:05 PM.

#6 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the reply, Steve. So you successfully created a step down converter and have it running from the Ultimate Powerbox? And the Pi works with the USB-C you picked out? I saw the recommendation on your thread, but it's hard to tell if you had success with both the Powerbox and Pi. Thank you either way.

Sorry, no I do not have a Powerbox, and I haven't made a power cable for my Pi4.  However, I made a 12v -> 9V step down power adapter for my Nikon, and the concept would be exactly the same for the Pi (only you'd be stepping down to 5V).  The power source is irrelevant (Powerbox, car battery) as long as it's 12V.  

Since I don't have a Powerbox, I just took a look at the specs and it looks like it has a variable voltage output (3v-12v).  If I'm reading it right, can't you configure that output for 5V to power your Pi?

#7 evansg

evansg

PegasusAstro

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:03 AM

Just plug a USBA to USB-C from the Ultimate Powerbox v2 HUB to the RPI4 and it will work. No need to make a cable and use the variable output. 

The Ultimate Powerbox has 6 x USB ports that can provide all the juice that RPI4 needs.

• bmurphy495, JayS_CT and thelosttrek like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics