•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ESPRESSO: The Decisive Spectrograph to Find Earth 2.0

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:43 PM

I would like to talk about an instrument that has been sometimes overlooked: ESPRESSO.

As most of you probably know, ESPRESSO is the only current spectrograph able to detect Earth-sized planets.

I think it will be a key instrument for 2 reasons:

1- The majority of the most potentially habitable exoplanets were discovered with the radial velocity method.

2- Only 0.5 % of the Earth-like planets in the Milky Way could be detectable by using transit photometry.

Do you think we will find a nearby Earth 2.0 with ESPRESSO in 2020?

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

Interesting, because we have an instrument developed by Yale called EXPRES (high resolution EXtreme PREcision Spectrometer) on Lowell's 4.3 meter DCT telescope. It just was recently installed and is in testing/calibration right now. It was also designed to detect Earth sized planets around other stars.

Here's some info if you are interested.

BTW, a new agreement (two days ago) with Discovery Channel Communications and Lowell Observatory allows us to change the name of the telescope from DCT (Discovery Channel Telescope) to LDT (Lowell Discovery Telescope).

• csa/montana, Keith Rivich, photomagica and 1 other like this

#3 dustyc

dustyc

Ranger 4

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:36 PM

Interesting, because we have an instrument developed by Yale called EXPRES (high resolution EXtreme PREcision Spectrometer) on Lowell's 4.3 meter DCT telescope. It just was recently installed and is in testing/calibration right now. It was also designed to detect Earth sized planets around other stars.

BTW, a new agreement (two days ago) with Discovery Channel Communications and Lowell Observatory allows us to change the name of the telescope from DCT (Discovery Channel Telescope) to LDT (Lowell Discovery Telescope).

Lowell Discovery Telescope? Why the name change? They don't want to be associated with it anymore?

#4 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:58 PM

Lowell Discovery Telescope? Why the name change? They don't want to be associated with it anymore?

Not at all, it was a request by Lowell after the initial agreement period neared expiration. It is Lowell's largest telescope and Discovery is now the middle name. It works very well. The real question is why it took so long to get the Lowell name on the telescope.

BTW, the founder of the Discovery Channel is on the Lowell Board.

Edited by rockethead26, 13 December 2019 - 11:00 PM.

• photomagica and dustyc like this

#5 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:02 PM

One reason for the name change is to eliminate confusion; because of the name some assumed that the telescope was owned by Discovery Channel, which is not the case. It was always owned by Lowell, but the name did not convey that. Discovery Channel was a very significant and welcome contributor to building this amazing telescope and I appreciate their flexibility regarding the naming.

Bill Peters

Museum Planner and Consultant to Lowell Observatory

Edited by photomagica, 13 December 2019 - 11:06 PM.

• rockethead26 likes this

#6 dustyc

dustyc

Ranger 4

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

I always thought it was a great tie-in because astronomy is all about discovery. 

• rockethead26 and photomagica like this

#7 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

Great news. 

It seems the EXPRES spectrograph will have a precision of 15 cm/s, but it's still a huge advancement over HARPS.

#8 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:09 PM

Great news.

It seems the EXPRES spectrograph will have a precision of 15 cm/s, but it's still a huge advancement over HARPS.

That 15 number is an old number. Sensitivity is actually 10cm/sec.
  • photomagica likes this

#9 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:23 AM

That 15 number is an old number. Sensitivity is actually 10cm/sec.

Oh I see, 10 cm is awesome!

The Earth actually produces 9 cm, but I'm sure EXPRES could detect that as well.

ESPRESSO can detect just a few cm (I would say 3-5), so I hope we will discover Earth 2.0 soon!

#10 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:01 PM

Btw more info here: https://www.eso.org/...s/espresso.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics