•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fireball sighting: SE Arizona Dec 13 ~21:44 LST

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DuncanM

DuncanM

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:00 AM

I saw a bright fireball whilst driving south on Nolan Rd, San Simon AZ, tonight (Dec 13 2019) at about 21:43-45 LST . The fireball had a distinct greenish colour and appeared to travel parallel to Nolan Rd, and passed from the upper edge of the front window and disappeared below the horizon. It appeared to move very slowly, and I thought that at first  it might be a flare.

Anyone else see this?

Edited by DuncanM, 14 December 2019 - 02:01 AM.

#2 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:59 AM

I am not familiar with your area...it passed north to south?

The reason I ask is that in Fairbanks, Alaska tonight, I saw two fireballs, both travelling north to south and several other bright meteors in the same direction....A very high number in just a few hours while I was out with the scopes. The first would be have been around 1830-1900 Alaska time, which would have been about 2100 your time. My description is about the same as yours....very bright, trail, moving slowly until it burned up. 

From what I can read on the web, tonight is the peak of the Geminiid meteor shower. The ones that I saw were certainly coming from the direction. 

Mike

Edited by msl615, 14 December 2019 - 03:02 AM.

#3 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:13 AM

I see that you made a Fireball Report on the American Meteor Society (AMS) website  https://fireball.ams...s?event=PENDING     waytogo.gif 

• DuncanM likes this

#4 emh52

emh52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:45 AM

Looks like I can confirm that fireball and it is a Geminid  see attached photo for that time-  I'll likely have at least one more photo all to go to AMS later as I was running a few cameras

This is from Tucson AZ

Attached Thumbnails

• Geminid fireball CN.jpg

• Dave Mitsky and DuncanM like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics