•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Heart and Soul Nebula Mosaic with the ASI071MC-Pro

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thedarksideobservatory

thedarksideobservatory

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Weatherly, Pennsylvania

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:49 AM

The Heart and Soul Nebula (IC 1805 and IC 1848) two panel mosaic. This two panel mosaic shows a wide field view of the Heart and Soul Nebula (previously imaged separately). Each panel was a combined 60-minute exposure, the final mosaic stitched together using Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE).

The Heart Nebula is masking two deep sky objects that I was surprised to pick up in a wide field view, I'll share these in the next image.

Tech Specs: Williams Optics Redcat 51 APO, Celestron CGEM-DX mount (pier mounted), ZWO ASI071MC-Pro, Optolong L-eNhance 2” filter, each panel was 60 x 60 second exposures at a GAIN of 200, one hour total exposure with dark/bias frames, guided using a ZWO ASI290MC and Orion 60mm guide scope. Captured using Sequence Generator Pro (SGP) v3.03. Image date: November 25, 2019. Location: The Dark Side Observatory, Weatherly, PA, USA.

Attached Thumbnails

• heart_soul_smaller.jpg

• psandelle, elmiko, PirateMike and 5 others like this

#2 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:57 AM

To emphasize: this beautiful set of images was taken with a 51mm (2”) telescope that a casual passerby would assume can’t “see anything”.

• thedarksideobservatory likes this

#3 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

Tom :Very nice image especially for just one hour's worth of intergration. Looks like your Redcat 51 Petzval APO is great for widefield images like this.

I also imaged the same area with my old 200mm f4 Nikon lens using an Ha modded Nikon D5300 camera and a similar dual band filter from Omega Optical. I got a similar image as seen here, but with 3.5 hours of integration time. Mine is not a mosaic, so a little less resolution vs that of the OP image which was shot at 250mm focal length. Anyway, I love these widefields ..... Anil 

• thedarksideobservatory likes this

#4 thedarksideobservatory

thedarksideobservatory

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Weatherly, Pennsylvania

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:49 PM

To emphasize: this beautiful set of images was taken with a 51mm (2”) telescope that a casual passerby would assume can’t “see anything”.

What was also amazing to me was capturing Maffei I and Maffei II in the same image, granted, small and fuzzy, but both galaxies are there. Having a lot of fun with this little scope.

...Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics