•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thoughts on eyepieces for an AT92?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 QSO2019

QSO2019

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:53 AM

I’m considering buying an f5.5 AT92 to bring with me on trips abroad. For visual use only. Are there any recommendations on eyepieces that are well matched to the fast focal ratio? Let’s assume a total budget of about 800 USD.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:29 AM

I would just grab 3 paradigms and a 6mm for extra.

The Paradigms being 8mm, 12mm and 25mm and the extra 6mm

That is basically my set for just about everything and the cost is reletively low.

Some depends on whether you want a good set or are more like me and decided that for trips and travelly a lower cost set is more suited. On trips tends to be when I do stupid things, and the Paradigms were purchased with such in mind.

The 6mm is a WO planetary clone.

• ShaulaB and Blueox4 like this

#3 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:36 AM

For the high mag end of things a used TV Nagler 3-6mm zoom should be on your list.

Widefield I use a 35 Pan in my SV85S but that is f/6.9 not f/5.5 which might change the edge performance.  I don't know if a Pan or a Nagler would be better at f/5.5.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clayton, California

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

I would suggest the 24 Panoptic, 13T6 Nagler, 7T6 Nagler and 2.5X Powermate, all bought used to hit the $800 budget. These are all lightweight for easy travel and cover the range from widest field of view in 1.25-inch format to near 0.5mm exit pupil for high power views.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Bennett, 15 December 2019 - 06:46 PM.

• eros312 likes this

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:55 PM

I’m considering buying an f5.5 AT92 to bring with me on trips abroad. For visual use only. Are there any recommendations on eyepieces that are well matched to the fast focal ratio? Let’s assume a total budget of about 800 USD.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

If you're considering getting the AT92, then don't consider any longer and just pull the trigger.  I think this may be Astronomics finest scope. 

Make sure to use a 2" diagonal to chew up some light path otherwise you will be racking out the focuser very far.

I like Jeff Bennet's suggestion on EP.  I would highly recommend them too, if you don't wear glasses.

I am acquiring a 2" set and an 1.25" set for the AT92.  2" for wide fields/darksite visits.  But the 1.25"  work horses are the 32 brandon, 24 brandon, 15 delite, 10 pentax XW, and 5 pentax xw -with a 5x powermate for double stars.

#6 QSO2019

QSO2019

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:54 PM

All - thank you very much for these great suggestions. Lots to ponder!

@Jeff Bennett - I just saw your post here: https://www.cloudyni...ope-eyepieces/ 

Would you mind sharing what kind of mount and tripod you use when traveling by air? I’d love to hear your feedback on how well that combo works with the AT92.

Stephen

#7 Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clayton, California

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:31 PM

@Jeff Bennett - I just saw your post here: https://www.cloudyni...ope-eyepieces/ 

Would you mind sharing what kind of mount and tripod you use when traveling by air? I’d love to hear your feedback on how well that combo works with the AT92.

Stephen

My current air travel setup is a Universal Astronomics MicroStar Deluxe mount with encoders and Sky Commander. Regrettably, the UA mounts are only available used now. The tripod is a Feisol CT-3372 carbon fiber model, and all of this goes in a Tenba Tripak 34-inch case that goes as checked luggage.

I have tried a number of tripod and mount combos for air travel, but I have always checked that gear while putting the scope, diagonal and eyepieces in a photo backpack to carry onboard. But this mount and tripod combo seems to be a good compromise in terms of light weight with good stability. The carbon fiber tripod in particular made a big difference compared to the aluminum tripod I used previously (a Gitzo 4-series). The Feisol is both significantly lighter (about 4 pounds IIRC) and more stable than anything I used before. The Gitzo 5-series CF tripods are reputed to be excellent as well, but the Feisol is a good bit less expensive and seems to work very well for an 80-90mm scope suited for the MicroStar.

Hope that helps. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more of my thoughts on some of the other setups I have tried.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Bennett, 16 December 2019 - 09:32 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics