•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light - ZWO ASI533MC Pro + Duo-Band Filter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sofia-Bulgaria

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

Hello,

Last weekend got a clear night and decided to take first light with ZWO ASI533MC Pro. The Moon was quite near to full, but still was giving around 1h 30 minutes darkness - good chance to make some tests of the ZWO Duo-Band Filter too. Additional performed test was the usage under the skies of APT's support for the ZWO native driver smile.gif

As target picked-up an object that is well known with idea that can show the performance of the camera itself. BTW I have never imaged the Rosette so far, and it is still in my list for a narrowband attempt smile.gif

The first revision is comparison of single frames, auto stretched - one when the Moon was high above the horizon, the second was few minutes after its setting.

get.jpg?insecure

The second revision the processed image taking all available frames 50 with Moon and 11 without. Used is the unity gain for the camera - Gain 100, Offset 70.

Having some experience with DSLRs I'm very happy with the results from ZWO ASI533MC Pro. No darks or bias frames are applied! Just dithering and cooling to -20C smile.gif In the net saw some opinions that this camera is good entry level for images coming from DSLRs. There is need to make few serious sessions without Moon, however on this stage, my opinion is that ASI533MC Pro is great OSC that can give very good data when there is no time to make LRGB with mono camera. My plan is to use it as main imager during astro parties smile.gif

Edited by Yoddha, 14 December 2019 - 11:07 AM.

• Stelios, JMP, Scott Mitchell and 16 others like this

#2 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:04 PM

I wish my ASI-533MC-Pro would hurry up and get here !!!! smile.gif

I feel a trip to the dark site coming on.cool.gif

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 15 December 2019 - 12:07 PM.

• durak and NuclearRoy like this

#3 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:07 AM

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif 

#4 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:21 PM

Ivo,

Very Nice!

My 533 arrived from HighPoint on Saturday and, of course, nothing but clouds/rain/snow for the rest of the week frown.gif

Also - THANK YOU for APT (and the bonus Christmas present). I love it. goodjob.gif

[ZWO native support just in time for the new batch of cameras.]

Edited by NuclearRoy, 16 December 2019 - 12:28 PM.

#5 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:17 PM

Many thanks Roy! :)

Congrats on the camera! I think that we will be quite happy with this model :) The absence of amp-glow sold me in no time :D It is the CMOS camera I have been waiting for...

• CCD-Freak, telfish and NuclearRoy like this

#6 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

Hello,

This is my second round of the ASI533MC Pro testing. Again a popular target is selected in order to give better base for comparison. In this project didn't use any filters in order the camera own performance. Other change is that the gain is a bit lower than the unity, trying to increase dynamic range.

As additional note, have to add that 2/3 of the frames were taken with moderate sky frown.gif This winter was not generous and had to use what is given...

I'm quite happy with the result smile.gif The camera is sensitive and gave deep look on the object even with the smallish 80mm refractor.

get.jpg?insecure

97х5min = 8h 5min, gain 75, offset 70. WO 80FD, WO FRII, CEM60, APT, PI, PS

Edited by Yoddha, 25 March 2020 - 09:20 AM.

• CCD-Freak, ippiu and SambaChoro like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics