•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Color Stacking/Balancing in Maxim DL

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Drakkith

Drakkith

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:01 AM

So I'm fairly new to using Maxim DL and I'm trying to make a color image for the first time, using three *narrowband images.

Color balancing has always been difficult for me, even in my old software, and it seems like I just 'stumble' across something that looks decent. Sometimes.

This last set of images is being particularly difficult. I can't seem to find the right settings to balance everything out well and get a nice reddish glow around the Horsehead without losing all of my blue channel.

I've attached a screenshot to show what it currently looks like and what my current settings in Maxim are.

Any tips?

*Note that my OIII filter is not really designed for photographic work and has a much wider bandpass than most OIII filters. The background is very high compared to my HA and SII images, which is why it's set to 1 while the others are increased.

Maxim DL Screenshot.jpg

Changing from LRGB to RGB lets me get a slightly better red color, but overall the color balance is still very poor.

Edited by Drakkith, 15 December 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#2 Tayson82

Tayson82

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland / Wolomin

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:43 AM

Try R=SII 2, G=Ha 0.7, B=OIII 1.5

15 for R is toooooo much.

Firstly combine without L, select RGB.

In this step You don't have perfect, final colors. Its should be edited in another graphic program. 

Edited by Tayson82, 16 December 2019 - 04:46 AM.

• Drakkith likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics