•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C5 with FR6.3 and FR3.3....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:16 PM

I know the FR6.3 will work OK (294MC camera) but anyone here use the Meade FR3.3 with the ZWO224 for EAA?

Going to use the scope on an SLT mount due to its length and weight.

#2 einarin

einarin

Vanguard

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:26 PM

https://www.cloudyni...fr-query/page-2

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:48 AM

Jeff,

As with any aggressive (faster reduction factor) focal reducer the amount of in focus travel is an important consideration. The Meade 3.3 reducer works well on the popular SCTs as long as it's properly setup (as long as it's placed close to the rear cell and the spacing back to the sensor is appropriate) and so a traditional C5 should be fine. It does however require a lot of turns on that focus knob.

Positioning the reducer directly onto the SCT threads on the rear cell would be important (moving the reducer outwards increases the likelihood of running out of focus travel). I'm also assuming you are talking about using one of the astronomical C5s and not one of the terrestrial units used like a telephoto lens. If I found that I had run out of infocus travel by a very small amount I'd vary the spacing a bit (reduce it slightly). In this unlikely worst case you might have to balance optical quality a little bit with the ability to come to focus.

Without any direct testing I would still be comfortable that the reducer could be make to work well with a C5 and a 224 based camera.

Edited by mclewis1, 16 December 2019 - 08:10 PM.

#4 Old Man

Old Man

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

I don't know about the camera, I am strictly visual. I have a C5+ and use the Celestron skylight filter screwed directly on the back of the scope, I leave it there permanently to seal out dust, insects, etc.

I add the 6.3 F/R to that and then the visual back, diagonal and have never had any problem coming to focus.

I have removed the visual back and put on the Celestron camera adapter with T-threads and used my DSLR also with no problems focusing, on solar system objects, I have never tried my DSLR on deep sky.

Mine is a 1996 astronomy model, so I cannot say for sure if focus travel is the same for the newer models.

Mike

Edited by Old Man, 16 December 2019 - 02:53 PM.

#5 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:54 PM

Thank you all. I did some testing yesterday on my USA made c90 and I got the 224 to focus using either the FR3.3 or one on the inexpensive .5 reducers. So I am pretty I can get a C5 to focus that way.

Will be looking in the classifieds for a C5 with vixen rail soon.

That will give f3.3 and thus make the short exposures of EAA (though smaller image size) a great Grab & Go setup.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics