•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

vintage porro berkot 8x40 vs 7x35 tento vs bpc5 8x30 russian

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:07 PM

HI!   as   a  bino   collector  I  look for   additional  to   my   baigish  8x30   [ russian  bino]   one  of  the three  bino's   all  russian   made of.   is   some one    good   familiar  with   this   bino's?     or  have   like them?   to  my   experience   all   of   them   have   a good   crispy    emage    and   wide   f.o.v   65 -68   degree.  sale   on   ebay  uk   and   ebay germany  .   there  is  fake    or  imitation   from  china [    color   and   bag   almost   new    suspicion   to   me  as  these    item's    be   producted    at  the  60's - 70's  -  80's    as  I   can   guess.       

#2 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

• Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:58 AM

Greetings publin, and be welcomed here!

I believe I have the same binocular, the Baigish 8X30.

It is in absolutely brand new condition. I have had this nearly 30 years.

It is certainly a Soviet era binocular.

It is over-built like an armored vehicle.

It is designed to function in extreme temperature ranges.

The images are extremely sharp and I estimate the field to be about 8.5*.

The focus mechanism is so fine and smooth, (not loose), it is hard to describe.

I have heard that this binocular is a Zeiss copy.

The anti-reflection coatings are slightly amber colored.

Somewhere in my memory, it seems that I once read that there was something about the coatings that was supposed to be resistant to high radiation levels.

I am not clear on this.

Can any Members help clarify?

The images from this binocular are excellent but have a distinctly "warm", "yellow" effect.

I suspect that this binocular was re-labeled for a post Soviet consumer market.

There was a "rumor" that this model was once an "official" KGB issue.

I find it curious that although it is designed with a center focus, the build, the heavy duty pebble finish on the body, and the fact that every part of the housing is well sealed suggests that this was a military binocular in design or concept.

Somebody, somewhere and sometime, really spent some time executing this instrument.

This instrument resides peacefully in my "cabinet" with other quiet treasures.

Eric

005_opt(2).jpg

#3 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:59 AM

004_opt(1).jpg

#4 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:45 AM

HI   !    my   russian   8x30   is    copy  of  ziess   and    real   military    style     [   with  reticle   on  the right   ocular  ]  and  individual   eye piece    focus   .not central  as   usual.   [  pictures   attached]    and   you   ask  about  the   yellowish   color    .  this   not  in   my   bino   the  have  .  purple   coated   color .   but  the   yellowish      color   is   for  radiation   as  I   read  and   checked  .   but not   all   the     baigish/  RUSSIAN    models  have this   .     but   as  I   look for   the   others    russian   bino"s   [  tento/ berkot/BPC5  model   ]     so   I   ask   who   have   this   russian   bino's   to   compare   about   F.O.V  and  quality  .  by  the way   the  F.O.V   in my   bino is  8.3*    [[about  66 degree]   s-l64.jpg s-l64 (1).jpg s-l64 (2).jpg  

Edited by publin, 16 December 2019 - 10:46 AM.

#5 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

Having had several Russian binoculars I found this, the newer Baigish 8x30  are rather poor mechanics wise, or at least the one I got was, lots of slop in the eyepiece bridge was one problem, Russian binoculars have declined over the years regarding quality, also their are China made knock offs out there, these were made for the Russian factory or are downright counterfeit.D.

#6 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:19 PM

Having had several Russian binoculars I found this, the newer Baigish 8x30  are rather poor mechanics wise, or at least the one I got was, lots of slop in the eyepiece bridge was one problem, Russian binoculars have declined over the years regarding quality, also their are China made knock offs out there, these were made for the Russian factory or are downright counterfeit.D.

probably   you    purchased  the   counterfeit  kind.   the   real russian   is   build   with   heavy  structure   and   smooth   focuser  /  eyepiece    tune  .   I   think   all   the   russian   bino's   after   70's   made   from  china  or asian   manifacturers    imitation  of  the   real   baigish  /  BPC5  /  berkot  .  so  bino's   appear    as new  with   no   used signs   or  new bag    likely    counterfeit.    as  a collector  and  familiar  with   vintage  bino's   I look for  the  old shape  with   loss color  on the   body   but  clean  lenses  or   near   to be   clean   even   with   slightly  haze / fungus   [  challenge    for me  to   open  inner parts  and  clean ]   .   as long  as   they   are   original  russian  made. 

#7 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:24 PM

Hi

Not sur what happened with the Baigish binoculars lately. The Komz website states made in Russia but the Chinese are selling clones (at 1/3rd of the russian retail price) which are impressively similar including box and papers.

Maybe the Russian outsourced some of their product lines to the Chinese to increase their profit and the Chinese have doublecrossed them?

Compared to 20th century models the build quality has gone down, objective cells are plastic, prim shelves are a loose fit and prism are glued in place using putty, no sealing on prism plates, etc.

This is too bad as these bins are a great classic and have been for many a first pair of bins thanks to their affordability...

Regards,

Ant1

#8 Yarddog

Yarddog

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:18 PM

I have two or maybe three of the old Russian 8X30. Mine all have a bit of damage or wear but you can tell they were a good binocular to start with. All metal but still fairly light and handy.

I have a 7X30 which I bought used around 25-30 years ago. They have all kinds of oddities but they are extremely sharp optically. They appear to have been designed from the 8X30 but with huge eyepieces. Yellow tint and orange tint with the supplied filters. The eyepieces actually zoom a little as you adjust them but your brain doesn't seem to notice.

I don't know exactly how it works but viewing a stand of timber about half a mile away, there was a blue haze with other binoculars but those Russian ones using the orange filters did in fact eliminate the haze.

• hallelujah likes this

#9 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

Opinions?

The pictures I submitted in posts 2 and 3......

Could those be Chinese imitations?

After all, they are "as new" and it is peculiar that the body is so well sealed and yet they are center focus.

(Also please consider description).

I'm very interested in any thoughts.

Never too proud to be corrected.

I innocently thought I had a Russian binocular here.

And they have been in my possession a long time.

Before the market became "flooded" with the Chinese products.

(And to the credit of the Chinese, many instruments and products are very, very good!)

I simply assumed I had something authentic, now I am doubting a little.

Eric

#10 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:58 AM

Hmmm...

Where did you buy these?

Please unscrew one objective beauty ring, is the objective cell underneath made of plastic?

Regards,

Ant1

#11 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:52 AM

HI  ERIC!    if  you   have   this     bahigish     for 30 years  it  is   real   original   100%.  and  as   the   pictures  show   in   very   good   condition!   the   chinese   imitation   saleing   on ebay  is realy copy  of yours.  as   I  said  in my  last   thread    better to    choose   the   old ' look  like ' with  little     bit    damage   they  are   the  real  one's.  I   sell  my  bino   on ebay   last week   just   for the  yellowish   tint color   that   the emage  appear   like  foggy/ unclear   comparison  to  my  collection.  but   if  it   not   bother   your   viewing    dont    think   to   sale   them!   like  my   mistake. now  I am  looking   for   new  russian   bino.

#12 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:10 AM

Hi

The pair pictured above dates back from 2004 so is not 30 years old.

The lookalike clones sold from China are virtually indistinguishable from the russian ones. The body, mechanical parts, and finish, are completely identical. Only the inside may be different but only a side-by-side disassembly would tell.

I really wonder which parts are manufactured where and who sells what...

Regards

Ant1

#13 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:02 AM

Ant1, publin,

Thank you for your responses.

2004?!

If so, this is one of my greatest memory lapses to date.

I was quite sure these came to me in 1994 or earlier.

If absolutely true, I'm stupefied!

I've lost 10-12 years somewhere.

My mind (at least used to be) remarkably accurate in such matters.

I still have binoculars I purchased in the 1980's. (THIS I am certain of).

If I am confusing the Baigish with any earlier acquisition, I fully apologize as no misrepresentation is ever intended.

It would be extremely "out of character" for me to be dishonest with information (or anything for that matter).

I did "break the seal" and opened the objective ring.

(Just the "beauty" ring, not the rings retaining the lens.)

The cell is a bright machined aluminum.

It doesn't appear that there is a plastic part on this binocular save for the eye cups.

Everything about this binocular exhibits a high level of workmanship.

And the slight "yellow hue" to the image is not bothersome at all.

In fact, looking out over the snow with sunlight adding intensity, it actually seems to "calm" the view.

(I do live in Michigan. Some people wonder why other people live here).

What was the source for the determination of age? (Out of curiosity).

Now I'm seriously doubting what I have here.

But I do intend to keep them.

Sorry, not trying to "steal" publin's topic.

But thank you again for your response.

Slightly baffled and "concerned",

Eric

#14 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:43 AM

Hi

Serial number starts with 04 means manufactured 2004.

Somewhere around 2000 the coatings and glass changed and the views are less yellow than they were before

Somewhere around 2010 the chinese clones appeared everywhere on the internet. I have one from 2015 and it's so well cloned I wonder if they are reselling the russian-made bins or if the Russians outsource this model to China

Regards

Ant1

#15 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

Just curious. I know that most binoculars are made in China, Japan, Germany, Austria, and Czeckia. Mostly in China. Are there any actually made in the USA? I look around, but couldn't find even one. It would be nice to know that at least one binocular was actually made here.

#16 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:09 PM

Depends on what you mean by MADE.

As far as I am aware, there are definitely no 100% US made binoculars anymore. There are some companies that assemble in the US with imported parts (e.g. Meopta, probably also Maven to a certain degree).

In between, there is some grey area but I am not aware of any current US binocular which manufactures large parts (i.e. 25% or more) of their binos in the US.

Any further info from anybody?

Pinac

Edited by Pinac, 19 December 2019 - 04:09 PM.

#17 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:01 PM

Depends on what you mean by MADE.

As far as I am aware, there are definitely no 100% US made binoculars anymore. There are some companies that assemble in the US with imported parts (e.g. Meopta, probably also Maven to a certain degree).

In between, there is some grey area but I am not aware of any current US binocular which manufactures large parts (i.e. 25% or more) of their binos in the US.

Any further info from anybody?

Pinac

I agree with this. I don’t believe any binoculars have been 100% manufactured in the States (this includes manufacture of optical glass, prisms and lenses) since the 1970’s when Bausch & Lomb moved production to Japan. 

#18 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:54 AM

probably   you    purchased  the   counterfeit  kind.   the   real russian   is   build   with   heavy  structure   and   smooth   focuser  /  eyepiece    tune  .   I   think   all   the   russian   bino's   after   70's   made   from  china  or asian   manifacturers    imitation  of  the   real   baigish  /  BPC5  /  berkot  .  so  bino's   appear    as new  with   no   used signs   or  new bag    likely    counterfeit.    as  a collector  and  familiar  with   vintage  bino's   I look for  the  old shape  with   loss color  on the   body   but  clean  lenses  or   near   to be   clean   even   with   slightly  haze / fungus   [  challenge    for me  to   open  inner parts  and  clean ]   .   as long  as   they   are   original  russian  made. 

I had a pair of the genuine ones,bought a couple of years ago, they were poor, the Chinese knock offs I also had were even worse,D

#19 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 December 2019 - 04:56 PM

That is really sad. Not one American made binocular. Such a pity.

#20 ov1vas

ov1vas

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:21 PM

Hansa 7.5 Field
Asahi Pentax 7.5 Field
Zenith Closter 7.5 field
SNS 7.5 Field
Lichter 7.7 Field

Edited by Erik Bakker, 23 December 2019 - 04:04 PM.

#21 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

HI!   is   someone   have  the   tento [russian] 7x35   bino?   I   look for the    f.o.v    of  this  russian  bino.   is it   identical    to   bpc5 [russian ]  8x30?   

#22 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:35 PM

Tento 7x35 is 8.5 deg or 150m at 1000m

#23 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:18 PM

It's a question I may possibly have been able to answer around 20 years ago, when I was still passing the phase of obsessing with the stated specifications of every binocular I happened to come across.

Thankfully for me, those days have long gone now, but vaguely on topic is my personal opinion of Russian binoculars in general, being that while from around 30  to 15 years ago, they were often generally underrated, over the past decade or so I think they have become somewhat overrated, possibly because they are being compared with a lot of similarly mediocre, similarly priced products manufactured in China, some of the latter of which are actually superior to or at least through my eyes.

As it happens I do recall a Tento 7x35 happening to have exactly the same field of view as the Zeiss 7x42 BGAT Dialyt owned at the time, but that is where the similarity ended in terms of image clarity, mechanical refinement, overall appearance and feel in the hands.

The only Russian model I have now is the much celebrated pre 1977 version Zagorski ( ZomZ ) 12 x 40.

Although widely regarded as one of, if not the best model ever manufactured in Russia, it has very short eye relief and distinctly yellow tinged images.

Overall it seems so mediocre compared with my Nikon 10x42 SE or the Zeiss Dialyt BGAT that I'm surprised so many people seem to rate the model so highly, but my specimen has special sentimental value.

I would rate it as slightly inferior overall to my Swift Audubon Kestrel 10x50 Porro, which also suffers from inadequate eye -relief for eyeglass wearers ( a pet dislike of mine for any binoculars )

Kenny

• FrankL, Binojunky and WALL.E like this

#24 Yarddog

Yarddog

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

Around 1990, I was in a pawn shop (which was also a high end sporting goods store, the only place in this area who handled Swarovski optics). I noticed two Russian binoculars. One was marked 100X50. wondering what that could be, I peered through them. My guess is they were either 7 or 10 power.

They were actually high quality but the marking scared me. The other was a 7X30. It was odd looking but the optics were extremely good so I bargained the price down to $35 and still love it tho I hardly ever actually use it.

#25 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

It's a question I may possibly have been able to answer around 20 years ago, when I was still passing the phase of obsessing with the stated specifications of every binocular I happened to come across.

Thankfully for me, those days have long gone now, but vaguely on topic is my personal opinion of Russian binoculars in general, being that while from around 30  to 15 years ago, they were often generally underrated, over the past decade or so I think they have become somewhat overrated, possibly because they are being compared with a lot of similarly mediocre, similarly priced products manufactured in China, some of the latter of which are actually superior to or at least through my eyes.

As it happens I do recall a Tento 7x35 happening to have exactly the same field of view as the Zeiss 7x42 BGAT Dialyt owned at the time, but that is where the similarity ended in terms of image clarity, mechanical refinement, overall appearance and feel in the hands.

The only Russian model I have now is the much celebrated pre 1977 version Zagorski ( ZomZ ) 12 x 40.

Although widely regarded as one of, if not the best model ever manufactured in Russia, it has very short eye relief and distinctly yellow tinged images.

Overall it seems so mediocre compared with my Nikon 10x42 SE or the Zeiss Dialyt BGAT that I'm surprised so many people seem to rate the model so highly, but my specimen has special sentimental value.

I would rate it as slightly inferior overall to my Swift Audubon Kestrel 10x50 Porro, which also suffers from inadequate eye -relief for eyeglass wearers ( a pet dislike of mine for any binoculars )

Kenny

HI!  do you  have  the  tento  7x35  ?   I   just  ordered   one  on ebay    and   it  is  I  hope   the   real   russian  vintage   tento.   as  I  checked   it  have   8.5  f.o.v  and    the  structure   is   heavy   as  the picture'S    on   ebay   .show. so  you   comparsion  to   zeiss 7x42   but  the   optic  is  clear ans sharp  ?   as  all   russian   bino's   produced.  [  I  have the   bpo5  8x30    ]  and  I  expect  to  have  good optic  on  this  tento. buy the way  the  12x40   tento  is  one of the best   russian   bino's  similar  to   the   zomz 12x40.     

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics