•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT90 EDT caught on a great deal!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:49 PM

I have just got my hands on a Astro Tech AT90 EDT triplet refractor. It is a bit heavy (12-13 lbs I believe), in mint condition, beautiful and cost about $450 and a couple of hours driving.

This is my first serious refractor telescope. I am planning to do AP with it. My main camera for now is a modded Nikon D5100 but I am planning to put a ZWO ASI183 on it sometimes next year.

Unfortunately, there is not much info online about it in terms of reviews. I'd like to hear all kind of recommendations and suggestions using this beauty, positive or negative. Your experience, what mount to use, tips/tricks...

I own a NEQ6 now, but that is a heavy mount to log around and definitely an overkill for a grab & go setup.

Any input is appreciated.  

Edited by moxican, 15 December 2019 - 12:01 AM.

#2 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:21 AM

I've had one of these that I bought used in 2013. I've had great luck with it and have taken well over 1,000 images - probably close to 200 published. You can see various images I've taken here - https://www.flickr.c...hotos/dcrowson/. You might be able to search on AT90EDT under my dcrowson handle. A lot of the AT90EDT images have been taken under red zone, city skies.

I use the same mount - Orion Atlas EQ6 that I bought before the AT90EDT so mine is dated as well.

I'd probably buy another if I saw one come up and run them both at the same time.

Dan

#3 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Dan. Based on your tone I assume that you like this scope then.

Now, I know there is no such thing as a perfect scope. Is there any particular trick with this one to watch out for? Any recommended accessories?

#4 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:18 AM

A Stellarvue M-2 alt/az for G&G would be a good option.  Your NEQ6 for imaging.

By all accounts everything I have read about the AT90EDT has been incredibly positive.  I saw one at NEAF once and it is solidly built and should serve you well.  

I always thought it would be great paired with a Coronado SM90 H-Alpha filter for solar observing.  

You got one heck of a deal on a nice scope!

#5 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Scott. I was thinking about a good solar filter as well for this. I have never had a triplet before. This one feels it was built like a tank.

Thanks for your advice on the mount, I'll look it up.

• Scott Beith likes this

#6 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:46 PM

I was able to get my hands on a Astro Tech AT90 EDT for only about $450. It is a triplet apo, I am very excited to use this as my main imaging scope. Does anyone has any suggestion on this little guy. It is somewhat heavy, built like a tank but I like that. It feels strong and massive. Any tricks/tips, accessories with this one? Does it need a field flattener?

Also, what mount would you put it on?

Edited by moxican, 15 December 2019 - 06:50 PM.

#7 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:46 PM

Yes, you will need a flattener.  The AT2FF should work just fine....

Enjoy the new scope!

#8 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:48 PM

What a steal! I have a friend who has one, and it is indeed built like a tank. And yes you'd most certainly need a field flattener for it. You might want to get one that reduces as well to speed it up, as f/6.6 is a tad on the slower side. 

I'd put it on a HEQ5 at least. I see you have an NEQ6, so it's gonna be more than sufficient. Make sure you guide though. 

#9 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

I saw that, it was a great deal for likely a superb set of optics.

Overbuilt, but that is not always a bad thing.  

Enjoy the scope! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics