•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet on the way!

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:26 PM

Just ordered a TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet with the 3.7 inch RPA focuser and a TSFLAT3 both of which are on sale right now and I hope they arrive by Christmas jump.gif but that is a slim chance. The scopes are out of stock but expected to  come in this week according to Marco at Teleskop Express and then get shipped on to me. Finngers are crossed!

I have a brand new ASI1600mm-c with a set of Chroma LRGB filters that arrived a couple days ago waiting for first light with this scope. This will put me at a very sweet 0.85 arc-sec/pixel image scale which I am so eager to try out. My AT115 EDT which is a great scope, will become the dedicated visual scope and the TS 130 will become the dedicated imaging scope. 

I will be adapting my Moonlight stepper motor and controller to the new TS scope. May need to fabricate a custom bracket but I'm not afraid to work with aluminum. It will be fun!!!

I'll post pics when it arrives...

John

• zjc26138, stevew, Alterf and 15 others like this

#2 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

• Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:31 PM

Awesome!

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:39 PM

Great - Please do a First Light report and post some astro images.

#4 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:04 PM

Sounds great John. Have you checked with Ron at Moonlite? They may have a bracket for the TS130.

Joe

#5 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:07 PM

Yes I checked with Ron and he does not have one on hand. But he said he would be glad to make one for me. But I'm going to try and brew my own first because he would need the scope sent to him in order to make one and I prefer not to ship it off as soon as I get it!

• outofsight likes this

#6 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:08 PM

Yes. I plan to do so.

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:09 PM

Just ordered a TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet with the 3.7 inch RPA focuser and a TSFLAT3 both of which are on sale right now and I hope they arrive by Christmas jump.gif but that is a slim chance. The scopes are out of stock but expected to  come in this week according to Marco at Teleskop Express and then get shipped on to me. Finngers are crossed!

I have a brand new ASI1600mm-c with a set of Chroma LRGB filters that arrived a couple days ago waiting for first light with this scope. This will put me at a very sweet 0.85 arc-sec/pixel image scale which I am so eager to try out. My AT115 EDT which is a great scope, will become the dedicated visual scope and the TS 130 will become the dedicated imaging scope. 

I will be adapting my Moonlight stepper motor and controller to the new TS scope. May need to fabricate a custom bracket but I'm not afraid to work with aluminum. It will be fun!!!

I'll post pics when it arrives...

John

Congrats/  Have one, love it.  It's not a Tak or a Stellarvue (which cost about twice as much), but it's better than I am.  <smile>

Same scope and flattener.

https://www.astrobin...6106/B/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin...1037/I/?nc=user

Edited by bobzeq25, 15 December 2019 - 09:09 PM.

#8 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:26 PM

Great images Bobzeq25! You give me goals to strive for! 

Agree...It's surely not a Tak, but I doubt I will ever find this scope to be the limiting factor in my imaging. That will be my own lack of skill in the processing department.

The price however, is very fair for what you get...at least I think it is. And I can't really justify more money at this time. The image scale is right what I wanted with the ASI1600mm and the Mach1 should handle the weight. I also do not like frequently removing cameras to go back and forth from imaging to visual, so I'm keeping the AT115 even thought the fl is not too different than the 130.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#9 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:33 PM

its a beast!

you will love it :) 

TS Optics Photoline 130 f/7 with 3.7" focuser

• stevew, psandelle, beanerds and 9 others like this

#10 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:40 PM

Looks awesome! Can't wait for the arrival!

#11 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:00 AM

I have an observing buddy with the ' Sky Rover ' badged one and its an impressive scope ! enjoy and mate !!! what a Christmas present ! looking forward to first light reports .

Beanerds .

#12 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

ngc253

that was my first (and only image since we had clouds for months now ) and even that was grabbed over a night with some high cloud

looking forward to some more sky time with it 

smile.gif

Edited by ZL4PLM, 17 December 2019 - 02:01 PM.

• F.Meiresonne, stevew, JKAstro and 7 others like this

#13 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 18 December 2019 - 02:13 AM

To the OP

Congrats.

I am sure you won't regret

I have on with a FPL-53 doublet in102 mm. It is just a great scope

#14 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

Just got my shipping notice from DHL Express...jump.gif ...!!! The TS130 is expected to arrive Monday by end of day.

Does anyone know if DHL charges any type of additional duty or import fee? Is anything else moneywise due upon delivery?

• eros312, ZL4PLM and Hondo like this

#15 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Apollo

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:41 PM

I bought one a couple of years ago and it's superb for the price. Excellent optics and a great focuser. I've only been able to use it 5 times due to forest fire smoke and rain, near Everett WA. But I moved to Spokane WA this year and am hoping for better seeing conditions. I had to quit my job and retire on SSI due to a severe left knee infection. Put me in the hospital for 10 days and physical rehab for 4.5 months. Still learning to walk on the left knee. Hope it's back to normal by summer.

#16 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:11 PM

Just got my shipping notice from DHL Express...jump.gif ...!!! The TS130 is expected to arrive Monday by end of day.

Does anyone know if DHL charges any type of additional duty or import fee? Is anything else moneywise due upon delivery?

UPS charged me a little less than $100, and that was on a TS130 that I got a really good deal on from them, it was only about $1400 or $1500, don't remember exactly but do remember that UPS asked me for somewhere around 7%. I knew it might happen, but didn't really care because teleskop-express gave me such a good deal on the scope.

DHS may just ignore it, from what I understand if the USPS delivers it they don't ask you for anything, not completely sure about that. But look at it this way, your scope is still probably way cheaper than the scope in this link, and they're probably basically the same scope. Good luck with it, hope you don't get charged, enjoy your scope no matter what.

https://www.stellarv...plet-refractor/

#17 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:36 AM

I guess goods coming from outside US are subject to import taxes and maybe ohter taxes like sales taxes But you will have to search for the exact laws about that.

If something is coming from US to EUR it must be declard to customs, i my case for my Obsession at the time i had to pay about 3% import taxes and an additional 21% VAT on the amount and a small amount for the agent that declared the goods of course...

Normally TS should have charges your scope without VAT because it is export from EUR to the States..

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 09 January 2020 - 12:37 AM.

#18 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

Well...yes TS did not charge me the VAT but I just got an email from DHL express saying I owed $589 duty tax in order to receive my shipment. A little online searching and it appears a duty of 19% is charged for non agricultural items coming in from EU countries. Basically, I'm paying the VAT anyway to Uncle Sam. Now I dearly love my Uncle Sam but...... this really "stinks"!!! Totally changes the perspective of getting a great deal on the telescope. And to add insult to injury, part of that amount was DHL adding on about $42 of their own fees even though I already paid a shipping fee to TS when I bought the scope...sheesh... I'll add that DHL Express was the only shipping option I was offered on the website.

Edited by John Miele, 09 January 2020 - 09:35 AM.

• ZL4PLM likes this

#19 hnau

hnau

Vostok 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Import duty is 8% for telescopes. I've done this numerous times over the past couple years.  I know DHL can charge a brokerage fee, but what the heck if that fee ends up being more than actual duties? Wow.  I would give DHL a call to make sure they haven't made any blatant errors.

#20 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

They could have changed the % too, maybe a new law to screw the consumers even further.

#21 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

I  found something called the "Harmonized Tariff Schedule" for 2020 online and it shows that "optical telescopes" Code 9005.80.40 have an 8% tariff/duty. So it appears DHL way overcharged me. I called their international tariffs/duties department and guess what...you they make you leave a message and wait up to 24 hours for them to call you back to discuss your problem. So I did and hopefully I'll get about the correct credit. If not, I'll wait until the telescope arrives Monday and then call my bank to dispute the credit card charge.

#22 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

Well...yes TS did not charge me the VAT but I just got an email from DHL express saying I owed $589 duty tax in order to receive my shipment. A little online searching and it appears a duty of 19% is charged for non agricultural items coming in from EU countries. Basically, I'm paying the VAT anyway to Uncle Sam. Now I dearly love my Uncle Sam but...... this really "stinks"!!! Totally changes the perspective of getting a great deal on the telescope. And to add insult to injury, part of that amount was DHL adding on about $42 of their own fees even though I already paid a shipping fee to TS when I bought the scope...sheesh... I'll add that DHL Express was the only shipping option I was offered on the website.

welcome to what we face in NZ for pretty much any item imported smile.gif

used to be under 400 NZD was free - no longer since 1 Dec frown.gif

Edited by ZL4PLM, 09 January 2020 - 03:27 PM.

#23 ris242

ris242

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

welcome to what we face in NZ for pretty much any item imported smile.gif

used to be over 400 NZD was free - no longer since 1 Dec frown.gif

Don't you mean under $400?

I haven't paid GST on anything below 220 EUR yet and even after Dec 1.

#24 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:31 PM

Don't you mean under $400?

I haven't paid GST on anything below 220 EUR yet and even after Dec 1.

gah yes .. UNDER 

I think you go via youshop you would ... direct is wierd right now 

some stuff I thought would get hit didnt 

I haven't seen any one collect at source yet !

#25 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Unless they've changed something, you don't pay VAT. Keep working on them, good luck with it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics